Dapol 156 headlights not working on DC

jonhinds

Hey folks. I picked up a 2nd hand Dapol 156 DMU from eBay, and the directional headlights aren’t working except the red LEDs in the powered car when travelling in reverse. It’s not chipped for DCC.

Additionally there’s a slight but noticeable buzz when running on DC using a Bachmann 44212 power pack (with UK transformer). 

As a newbie, I’m wondering if it’s relatively simple to have a diagnostic tinker or whether to take these issues to a professional. If it’s just a case of replacing LEDs I wouldn’t mind having a go.

21 minutes ago, johnb said:

Don't know the 156 in detail., but is it worth checking for a broken wire or dodgy contact at some point.

Ah, worth checking. I’m a little cautious about opening things up due to my lack of expertise, so might be time to join a local railway modelling club!

• RMweb Premium

Firstly, have you turned them on? It's a while since I used mine, but I think they've got switched on the bottom to allow you to turn the lights on and off.

If there's no lights at all on the non-powered car, and if the switched make no difference, it's worth checking that there's a DCC blanking plug fitted to the decoder socket in the dummy car. It's also worth pulling the bogies off and gently stretching the springs that act as electrical contacts between the bogies and the main chassis.

3 hours ago, jonhinds said:

so might be time to join a local railway modelling club!

I can recommend the Yorkshire Area Group of the N Gauge Society - normally meet twice a month in York. Members regularly travel from Leeds (and in the past from Huddersfield and Queensbury).

Steven B.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steven B said:

I can recommend the Yorkshire Area Group of the N Gauge Society - normally meet twice a month in York. Members regularly travel from Leeds (and in the past from Huddersfield and Queensbury).

Oh wow, thanks! I’ll definitely pop along. I’ve been meaning to join the N Gauge Society.

1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Firstly, have you turned them on? It's a while since I used mine, but I think they've got switched on the bottom to allow you to turn the lights on and off.

If there's no lights at all on the non-powered car, and if the switched make no difference, it's worth checking that there's a DCC blanking plug fitted to the decoder socket in the dummy car. It's also worth pulling the bogies off and gently stretching the springs that act as electrical contacts between the bogies and the main chassis.

Definitely both on. The red lights work on the power car but not the white ones, and there’s nothing working on the dummy at all. Will follow those checks you mentioned.