Scottish Signal Boxes

David Bell

I thought it would be fun to have a thread to which everyone can post pictures of Scottish Signal Boxes. They are fascinating modelling subjects in themselves.

So I will start the ball rolling with 3 of Dyce box taken in 2015

Dyce SB 2015 001.jpg

Dyce SB 2015 002.jpg

Dyce SB 2015 003.jpg

• Like 5

I should say I spent many a happy day as a teenager in Grangemouth Fouldubs box.I remember trying to pull one particular lever of a signal that was a considerable distance from the box. Couldn't do it! That was in the mid seventies.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, David Bell said:

I should say I spent many a happy day as a teenager in Grangemouth Fouldubs box.I remember trying to pull one particular lever of a signal that was a considerable distance from the box. Couldn't do it! That was in the mid seventies.

Or a combination of distance and low frequency of use meant the signal wouldn’t go back to ‘danger’ when set back. (Paisley St. James up distant - a porter would have to be sent out quickly to force it back.)

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, David Bell said:

I thought it might be interesting to see photos of the boxes that are left. They are a bit of a dying breed with the onward march of modern signalling.

David

Indeed ... here is a more recent shot of Dyce ...

Catch ‘em while you can ...

Graham

None left around here, apart from Biggar which I believe is now occupied by an architect's office.

I spent my youth in Greenfoot box.  problem signal there was the down distant, nearly a mile away on Garnqueen North Junction's starter.  On a warm day it was a devil to get it to go properly 'off'.  It also had the level crossing gates, operated by a big wheel. They could be awkward depending on how the wind was blowing.

Jim

• Like 2

17 hours ago, David Bell said:

Here's a wee reminder David.

best wishes,

Robert

Fouldubs Fr (LHS) 1995.jpg

Fouldubs SB.3 1995.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

None left around here, apart from Biggar which I believe is now occupied by an architect's office.

I spent my youth in Greenfoot box.  problem signal there was the down distant, nearly a mile away on Garnqueen North Junction's starter.  On a warm day it was a devil to get it to go properly 'off'.  It also had the level crossing gates, operated by a big wheel. They could be awkward depending on how the wind was blowing.

Jim

Greenfoot_Split_Distant_Signals_(1).jpg

Greenfoot_SB_Lever_Frame_(2)_-_Copy.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Jim

Greenfoot_Split_Distant_Signals_(2).jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corrour said:

Greenfoot_Split_Distant_Signals_(2).jpg

No, sorry, that's the up home, with Garnqueen N Jct's outer splitting distants, and the Greenfoot down home in the background.  The box is hidden behind the trees on the left.

The down distant was waaaay down the hill in the background.   It was lever 5, locked by 6 & 7.  There was a repeater on the wall behind it which would be showing 'off', but when you looked down the line the signal was neither one thing nor the other.  Some drivers must have come round the curve at Ganqueen, either off the Coatbridge, or the Buchanan Street line, to see that signal waggling up and down as if it was waving at them, as we tried to get it 'off'!

Jim

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

No, sorry, that's the up home, with Garnqueen N Jct's outer splitting distants, and the Greenfoot down home in the background.  The box is hidden behind the trees on the left.

The down distant was waaaay down the hill in the background.   It was lever 5, locked by 6 & 7.  There was a repeater on the wall behind it which would be showing 'off', but when you looked down the line the signal was neither one thing nor the other.  Some drivers must have come round the curve at Ganqueen, either off the Coatbridge, or the Buchanan Street line, to see that signal waggling up and down as if it was waving at them, as we tried to get it 'off'!

Jim

Aye Jim but thought the 'splitters' nice to share.

Greenfoot_SBD.jpg

• Like 2

That's a much later diagram than the one I was familiar with.   As I said, the gates were operated from the box with the last three levers on the right of the frame (21,22 &23?), painted brown, being for the gate stops and the wicket lock,  There was also an up starter (14) which again had splitting distants on it.

The 'Down Sidings' were in fact a loop from just to the north of Glenboig station, entry being controlled by Garnqueen NJ.

Jim

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

That's a much later diagram than the one I was familiar with.   As I said, the gates were operated from the box with the last three levers on the right of the frame (21,22 &23?), painted brown, being for the gate stops and the wicket lock,  There was also an up starter (14) which again had splitting distants on it.

Is 14 correct Jim ? - that would make the distant a pull between the home (12) and starter (14), as well as the numbering being very unusual.

4 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Is 14 correct Jim ? - that would make the distant a pull between the home (12) and starter (14), as well as the numbering being very unusual.

Your quite right.  Should have said 11.

Jim

• Like 1