Scottish Signal Boxes

David Bell

On 08/08/2020 at 13:53, Caley Jim said:

That's a much later diagram than the one I was familiar with.   As I said, the gates were operated from the box with the last three levers on the right of the frame (21,22 &23?), painted brown, being for the gate stops and the wicket lock,  There was also an up starter (14) which again had splitting distants on it.

The 'Down Sidings' were in fact a loop from just to the north of Glenboig station, entry being controlled by Garnqueen NJ.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Here's a diagram from gate era.

best wishes,

Robert

Greenfoot_M1_1954_[1974].jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corrour said:

Here's a diagram from gate era.

That's as i remember it! OK, so I got the gate lever numbers wrong, but it is c67 years since I was last in the box.

Some of the spare levers had originally been for a connection into a clay mine on the up side across the road, gone by the time I was there.  We stayed in Annathill at the time, a mile or so to the north.

11 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Here is Greenfoot in all its glory, with Garnqueen SouNorth

greenfoot.jpg.1252f7db11575c76cc286a70480c930a.jpg

Again, that's after my time, vis. the lifting barriers.

Jim

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of shots of the,by then long disused, box at Biggar, taken in the late 1960's.

665961676_Bigarsignalbox.jpg.f642f3192734efebe6bb2a4aef2f9f54.jpg

The box, and the station building, are still extant, the former used by an architect, I believe, and the latter by a local builder.

Jim

• Like 6

Came through Biggar the other day and stopped in a layby on the main road just outside the town,leant on a fence and got an electric shock. There were no signs barring one broken plate on a fence post that was hardly noticable.

Ouch!

21 minutes ago, David Bell said:

Came through Biggar the other day and stopped in a layby on the main road just outside the town,leant on a fence and got an electric shock. There were no signs barring one broken plate on a fence post that was hardly noticable.

Ouch!

Ah, but you should have looked for the clues!  Insulators, or bits of rubber tubing, where the top wire is attached to the posts and the electrified wire is usually on the field side and the other wires on the road side.  You learn these things when you live in the country!  :P

Jim

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Tim V said:

Kircaldy in 1978

Kircaldy 1st Hanimex Lens 21-July 1978 138-2.jpg

The main lines, crossover, down loop and brake van siding are all that's left today. The Up loading bank siding was the last to go a few years ago, although the loading bank itself went long before.

Up (shown) and Down yards are both car parks now.

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Ah, but you should have looked for the clues!  Insulators, or bits of rubber tubing, where the top wire is attached to the posts and the electrified wire is usually on the field side and the other wires on the road side.  You learn these things when you live in the country!  :P

Jim

I do live in the country! Up here we put little yellow plastic pennants on the live wire.

• RMweb Premium

For 'hingin oot the windae' to give hand/lamp signals or spoken instructions for shunting?

I wonder if that's a former cludgie there?

Also I wonder what the sign says?

Edited by keefer

4 hours ago, keefer said:

For 'hingin oot the windae' to give hand/lamp signals or spoken instructions for shunting?

Exactly.  I think all signal boxes had some form of opening windows at the corners for exactly that purpose.  on CR southern Section boxes the whole corner sash slid inside.

Jim

• 2 months later...