4mm coach bolt heads

• RMweb Gold

In "The 4mm Coal Wagon" John Hayes created them using microstrip, cutting it into tiny squares. Then simply attached with solvent. The solvent shrinks them a bit, then IIRC he also ran a fibreglass brush over them. As well as final shaping, it would dislodge any loose ones so they can be redone. I used the technique on my LMS D1839 kit-bash (see workbench thread).

Edited by 57xx
Speeling
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/08/2020 at 22:17, michaelp said:

Hi, does anyone know of a way to make coach bolt heads or are any available to buy?

Do you want to model coach-bolt heads, or bolt heads on coaches? If it's the former, most of the ones I've noticed have been hammered into the timbers so the heads are more or less flush with the surface. 

• RMweb Gold

Actually, I just realised I was referring to representing the nuts not the bolt heads which are circular/spherical as opposed to the square nuts. I would go with Laurence's suggestion of Archers rivets or similar.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, billbedford said:

Do you want to model coach-bolt heads, or bolt heads on coaches? If it's the former, most of the ones I've noticed have been hammered into the timbers so the heads are more or less flush with the surface. 

Bill, its model coach bolt heads I am after

On 07/08/2020 at 20:23, 57xx said:

In "The 4mm Coal Wagon" John Hayes created them using microstrip, cutting it into tiny squares. Then simply attached with solvent. The solvent shrinks them a bit, then IIRC he also ran a fibreglass brush over them. As well as final shaping, it would dislodge any loose ones so they can be redone. I used the technique on my LMS D1839 kit-bash (see workbench thread).

Also had that technique demonstrated at a show by the fantastic Mr Kent. Simply amazing what that man can do. 

• Thanks 1