EFE Rail launches N gauge Class 17 and Mermaids

Mike Harvey

The Class 17s are due for imminent delivery, and the  Mermaids are in production now for late autumn/early winter delivery. Coming to a Bachmann retailer online or near you soon. The models are based on ones where development was initiated by DJModels Ltd. which ceased trading in 2019. Some technical changes have been made by the factory supplying through the EFE Rail distribution network.

E84501 N Class 17 D8585 BR Green (Small Yellow Panels) 119.95

E84502 N Class 17 D8594 BR Green (Small Yellow Panels) 119.95

E84503 N Class 17 D8560 BR Green (Small Yellow Panels) 119.95

E84504 N Class 17 8601 BR Green (Full Yellow Ends) 119.95

E84505 N Class 17 8512 BR Blue 119.95

E84506 N Class 17 D8523 BR Blue 119.95

E84507 N Class 17 Ribble Cement White & Green 119.95

E84508 N Class 17 D8511 BR Green (Small Yellow Panels) [Weathered] 129.95

E84509 N Class 17 D8600 BR Green (Small Yellow Panels) [Weathered] 129.95

E84510 N Class 17 D8606 BR Blue [Weathered] 129.95

E84511 N Class 17 D8507 BR Blue [Weathered] 129.95

E87512 N 14T ‘Mermaid’ Side Tipping Ballast Wagon BR Departmental Black 33.95

E87513 N 14T ‘Mermaid’ Side Tipping Ballast Wagon BR Departmental Olive Green 33.95

E87514 N 14T ‘Mermaid’ Side Tipping Ballast Wagon BR Engineers Grey & Yellow 33.95

E87515 N 14T ‘Mermaid’ Side Tipping Ballast Wagon BR Departmental Gulf Red 33.95

There is a launch video for the EFE Rail brand and range in the Bachmann Youtube library.

Edited by Mike Harvey
  • Thanks 7

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the separate thread, Mike.

Excellent news with regards the Class 17.

I'm not so excited about the mermaids as I got a handful of the black ones when they came out.  They are nicely detailed, but there is a height mismatch somewhere, as the buffers sit quite a bit higher than similar stock.  That said I have them and I run them and they're fine. They look good.  

Good to see the toolings being put to use.

Best

Scott.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I seem to recall that in the DJM days the DCC interface for the Clayton was going to be in the fuel tank. Might be a challenge for sound, though that could go in the engineers service van trying to figure out why the Class 17 has failed again.

Edited by Mike Harvey
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I have considered taking a razor saw to to the join between the bottom of the hopper and the tipping rails.  But hesitated when considering i'd not be able to get a replacement if it all went wrong...

Might be worth an experiment now...

Best

Scott.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, scottystitch said:

I have considered taking a razor saw to to the join between the bottom of the hopper and the tipping rails.  But hesitated when considering i'd not be able to get a replacement if it all went wrong...

Might be worth an experiment now...

Best

Scott.

I think @sithlord75 has done something similar.

• RMweb Gold

For comparison, this is the original DJM Clayton livery proposals.  It's a shame the dummies were dropped, but I understand why and it's not even a small gripe.  It's actually not a gripe eitherm just a musing, if you will...:

image.png.bb15120c5168314d8b26dff024ba252d.png

If nothing else, it shows how keen the pricing is after all these years, and the manufacturer, Kernow, and EFE/Bachman should be commened in that regard.

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch

It is ironic that today’s price after typical discount from RRP Is lower that DJM’s prices. If DJM had given priority to the Class 17 and missed out on the side alleys to the Class 92 and APT-P things might have turned out differently.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, but I wasn't sure if the EFE stuff will be subject to the same discount regime as mainstream Bachman/Farish.

Certainly, the pre-order price is as advertised by EFE...

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch
Correcting my incorrect assertion - see below.

• RMweb Premium

I am not going to preorder a 17 just yet. I want to see the weathered blue ones in the flesh as I have not been overly fond of factory weathering in the past but the photos do look promising so worth at least a look I think.

Edited by John M Upton

1 hour ago, Mike Harvey said:

I seem to recall that in the DJM days the DCC interface for the Clayton was going to be in the fuel tank. Might be a challenge for sound, though that could go in the engineers service van trying to figure out why the Class 17 has failed again.

Not many functions required either: 

F1 - swearing Fife fitter

F2 - swearing Gorbals fitter

F3 - swearing Geordie fitter

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Not many functions required either: 

F1 - swearing Fife fitter

F2 - swearing Gorbals fitter

F3 - swearing Geordie fitter

Don't forget F4 - the spark and gentle whump of the gas axe being lit.

• Funny 7

2 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

I think @sithlord75 has done something similar.

Yes - not for the faint hearted.  However I didn't go too gung ho as I found most of the problem is actually in the w irons - they seen to be too long/big.  Trying to fix this is a drama and a half.  I settled for removing the buffers and putting them back slightly lower.  They still are a bit high, but they don't stand out in the train.  Helps that all my Engineer's stock is black!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, scottystitch said:

Agreed, but I wasn't sure if the EFE stuff will be subject to the same discount regime as mainstream Bachman/Farish.

Certainly, the pre-order price is as advertised by EFE...

Best

Scott.

The normal disounts seem to apply such as here at rails, so they seem excellent value

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/40910/efe-rail-e84505-n-gauge-class-17-8512-br-blue

If they are in the country, then presumably they have been sample-tested and warehoused somewhere? Is the next step distribution to the retailers?

I have tried to find the answer on the main EFE thread but there is such a lot to scroll through it is entirely possible I have missed something.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

What are people’s thoughts about the Class 17 - as I recall, those more knowledgeable than I had highlighted several flaws with the DJM 17.... I’m curious to know if this EFE / KMRC version is an improved version of the DJM one.... or did they just produce it ‘as was’....?

Far too old for my modelling era, but I could be tempted with the Ribble Cement version to shunt around my Castle Cement PCAs (even though that may never have been the case; the internet certainly suggests not!).

23 minutes ago, JR_P said:

What are people’s thoughts about the Class 17 - as I recall, those more knowledgeable than I had highlighted several flaws with the DJM 17.... I’m curious to know if this EFE / KMRC version is an improved version of the DJM one.... or did they just produce it ‘as was’....?

Far too old for my modelling era, but I could be tempted with the Ribble Cement version to shunt around my Castle Cement PCAs (even though that may never have been the case; the internet certainly suggests not!).

It now has a Next 18 socket so the electrics have been overhauled and over on the N Gauge forum Ben A was saying the old model wasn't bad so this should be a fine model.

I believe I shall be ordering one

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 07/08/2020 at 12:22, Mike Harvey said:

It is ironic that today’s price after typical discount from RRP Is lower that DJM’s prices. If DJM had given priority to the Class 17 and missed out on the side alleys to the Class 92 and APT-P things might have turned out differently.

Nice idea but I'm not confident.

• Agree 3

I'm surprised how little excitement the Clayton announcement has generated! (Or maybe that's just me, lol!)

Given their apparently imminent arrival, my finger has been twitching over the add to basket button on several mail order sites on a daily basis, but my reticence is only due to the lack of DCC fitted options, and the box shifters I've looked at don't have a DCC fitting option on their menus as they appear to do on already released models. (or is that just me again?)

• RMweb Gold

There is plenty excitement over on the N Gauge Forum regarding the Claytons.

As a general rule, I’m not sure there is often much excitement on RMWeb for N Gauge items - that is a personal observation not a criticism and exceptions do exist!

Best

Scott. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, AngusDe said:

I'm surprised how little excitement the Clayton announcement has generated! (Or maybe that's just me, lol!)

Given their apparently imminent arrival, my finger has been twitching over the add to basket button on several mail order sites on a daily basis, but my reticence is only due to the lack of DCC fitted options, and the box shifters I've looked at don't have a DCC fitting option on their menus as they appear to do on already released models. (or is that just me again?)

But for the Clayton from all accounts you just need to pop off the fuel tank, unclip the Next 18 blanking plug and replace it with a Next 18 decoder which just clicks into place - the work of a few minutes.

Regards

Roy

1 minute ago, Roy L S said:

But for the Clayton from all accounts you just need to pop off the fuel tank, unclip the Next 18 blanking plug and replace it with a Next 18 decoder which just clicks into place - the work of a few minutes.

Regards

Roy

You're talking to a guy who, to date, has been unable to remove a Dapol 26 body that supposedly just slides off, lol!

Angus

• Like 1