EFE Rail launches N gauge Class 17 and Mermaids

Mike Harvey

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AngusDe said:

You're talking to a guy who, to date, has been unable to remove a Dapol 26 body that supposedly just slides off, lol!

Angus

In fairness, the Dapol 26/27 bodies are a very tight fit, and for operation to be described as "just slides off" isn't entirely accurate!

But, if the design for the 17 is as DJM originally declared, the fuel tank idea should be a good one

Best

Scott.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AngusDe said:

You're talking to a guy who, to date, has been unable to remove a Dapol 26 body that supposedly just slides off, lol!

Angus

Hi Angus

The Dapol 26 body can be a real swine to get off, that one really doesn't reflect any lack of capability. Diesel bodies in general can be tricky because they have to be a snug fit. Of course we don't know exactly how the Clayton fuel tank comes off yet, but I would hope it to be a lot easier!

Regards

Roy

Edited by Roy L S

• RMweb Premium

My 2 are due from Rails tomorrow!

Afraid I jumped the gun there. Should have put my glasses on to read the mobile phone!

All I got was a Collett coach which I hadn't ordered instead of a wagon load which I had!

Sorry for raising hopes.

Edited by Crepello
Inaccurate post.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Crepello said:

My 2 are due from Rails tomorrow!

Checked again this morning. Rails still show the 17s as a forthcoming release, so either they need to update their website or there is something odd going on with your order. No doubt in a matter of hours we will find out!

Regards

Roy

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

I went to order one from Rails who are offering free postage but as soon as I added a decoder it added postage. I assume this is due to the decoder being in stock and the class 17 being a preorder.

Cheers

Paul

No, postage is free on the Clayton so it seems it must be some kind of anomaly probably because they are looking to send the decoder on its own.

Regards

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

I went to order one from Rails who are offering free postage but as soon as I added a decoder it added postage. I assume this is due to the decoder being in stock and the class 17 being a preorder.

It always does that even if both/all items are in stock....

always seemed silly to me, because in the past its meant I’ve actually spent less with them as I’ve just bought the loco with free postage, when I also wanted to add on some additional items (perhaps as much again as the loco in £ terms) to my order - thus they lose revenue overall in my opinion.... adding a decoder to the basket is an obvious item likely to be appended to a loco order.

i don’t imagine the postage costs RoS an order of magnitude more if you add on more stuff.... since they are paying your postage anyway, you would think they would want to cash-in on that fact and encourage you to fill your basket :blink: !!!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, JR_P said:

It always does that even if both/all items are in stock....

always seemed silly to me, because in the past its meant I’ve actually spent less with them as I’ve just bought the loco with free postage, when I also wanted to add on some additional items (perhaps as much again as the loco in £ terms) to my order - thus they lose revenue overall in my opinion.... adding a decoder to the basket is an obvious item likely to be appended to a loco order.

i don’t imagine the postage costs RoS an order of magnitude more if you add on more stuff.... since they are paying your postage anyway, you would think they would want to cash-in on that fact and encourage you to fill your basket :blink: !!!

Hi

Yep it does seem very silly. I’ve ordered the loco but will get the decoder from Digitrains next time I go to visit my son in Lincoln.

Cheers

Paul

I'm very temped to buy one for my Speyside themed distillery mini-layout - in the hope that it is a simple conversion to 2mm, although the photos on the Rails website do make the wheels look a little worryingly Dapol like. Hopefully they can be turned down relatively easily?

I don't really know much about the prototypes though, apart from the fact they were so unreliable. I had a feeling that many were withdrawn before even being painted into BR blue. So would a heavily weathered green loco still be plausible for the very final years of operation? Basically I think the green livery looks better on them!

There only seems to be one variant in green with full yellow ends, and no weathered version of that. Was that an uncommon livery variation in real life? Did most stay in green with small yellow panels until repainting into blue, or directly to scrapping?

Or would a "last knockings" green loco definitely be a full yellow ends green?

Cheers

Justin

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, justin1985 said:

I'm very temped to buy one for my Speyside themed distillery mini-layout - in the hope that it is a simple conversion to 2mm, although the photos on the Rails website do make the wheels look a little worryingly Dapol like. Hopefully they can be turned down relatively easily?

I don't really know much about the prototypes though, apart from the fact they were so unreliable. I had a feeling that many were withdrawn before even being painted into BR blue. So would a heavily weathered green loco still be plausible for the very final years of operation? Basically I think the green livery looks better on them!

There only seems to be one variant in green with full yellow ends, and no weathered version of that. Was that an uncommon livery variation in real life? Did most stay in green with small yellow panels until repainting into blue, or directly to scrapping?

Or would a "last knockings" green loco definitely be a full yellow ends green?

Cheers

Justin

25 examples were green with full yellow ends by July 1968.  Still in green at  August 1970 were 16 examples.

best

Scott.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

25 examples were green with full yellow ends by July 1968.  Still in green at  August 1970 were 16 examples.

best

Scott.

Thanks Scott! Were the 16 surviving green examples in August 1970 all from the 25 that had full yellow ends though? Or did some survive until 1970 with small yellow panels? 

Not a big deal when I'm bending history to get one on the layout at all, but I am curious :)

J

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, justin1985 said:

Thanks Scott! Were the 16 surviving green examples in August 1970 all from the 25 that had full yellow ends though? Or did some survive until 1970 with small yellow panels? 

Not a big deal when I'm bending history to get one on the layout at all, but I am curious :)

J

The information I have comes from Hooper's An Illustrated Historical Review: Clayton Type 1 - Class 17.

Of those green in 1970, the following were green full yellow by 68:

Of those green in 1970, I THINK the book is saying the following were still with small panels:

8531 - There is actually a photograph of this machine in 1976 (!), still awaiting the torch, in this livery

Best

Scott

Edited by scottystitch
Aditional info (in bold).
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, mac1960 said:

I have a Green one with small Yellow ends and a Blu one on order, but does anybody know the actual release date for it yet ?

Kernow model centre are saying that they will be released by the end of August.

• Like 1

If these have, as I read elsewhere, been shipped, then it poses some questions re DJM's collapse. I assume, correct me if I'm wrong, that these are the ones l9ng promised by DJM.

My take is that DJM, having commissioned the production run from the factory, was unable to make the payment to get them shipped. If that's so, then DJM, were, perhaps, not too far off remaining in business. Which goes against much of what's been written, here and elsewhere about his business.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, GeoffAlan said:

My take is that DJM, having commissioned the production run from the factory, was unable to make the payment to get them shipped. If that's so, then DJM, were, perhaps, not too far off remaining in business. Which goes against much of what's been written, here and elsewhere about his business.

Well, apart from funding ongoing work on Class 92 and APT and other stuff he'd taken "deposits" on, just for starters.

42 minutes ago, GeoffAlan said:

If these have, as I read elsewhere, been shipped, then it poses some questions re DJM's collapse. I assume, correct me if I'm wrong, that these are the ones l9ng promised by DJM.

Hi Geoff. 

Yes, it is the one that DJM initiated, but he never got it further than 1st EP and was unable to progress the project because of a dispute over the tooling (it later became clear it had not been paid for). He even asked prospective purchasers to pay up front to fund the 2nd EP but since he could not progress the model this was refunded.

So, DJ never got as far as finishing the tooling and getting to 2nd EP stage and had certainly never got as far as commissioning a production run. What happened was that the factory retained the tooling and sought a purchaser/commissioner of a production run, having supplied at least one finished and unpainted loco for testing and reviewing. EFE have clearly taken this model on subsequently and commissioned the locos that are soon to be released - nothing to do with DJM at all.

So to conclude no, this loco was never even close to production under the DJM banner and release now doesn't indicate anything positive about the health or viability of DJM at all.

Regards

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

If you have a read of the threads in the DJM section you will get chapter, verse, indeed the whole library on the whole sorry DJM saga.

You might need a few days spare to read it all mind....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Roy L S said:

Hi Geoff. 

Yes, it is the one that DJM initiated, but he never got it further than 1st EP and was unable to progress the project because of a dispute over the tooling (it later became clear it had not been paid for). He even asked prospective purchasers to pay up front to fund the 2nd EP but since he could not progress the model this was refunded.

So, DJ never got as far as finishing the tooling and getting to 2nd EP stage and had certainly never got as far as commissioning a production run. What happened was that the factory retained the tooling and sought a purchaser/commissioner of a production run, having supplied at least one finished and unpainted loco for testing and reviewing. EFE have clearly taken this model on subsequently and commissioned the locos that are soon to be released - nothing to do with DJM at all.

So to conclude no, this loco was never even close to production under the DJM banner and release now doesn't indicate anything positive about the health or viability of DJM at all.

Regards

Roy

Thanks for that. I am therefore pleasantly surprised just how quickly this has come to fruition.

9 minutes ago, GeoffAlan said:

Thanks for that. I am therefore pleasantly surprised just how quickly this has come to fruition.

I know a lot of Clayton fans (me included) are absolutely over the moon by the announcement, having thought that our chance for a RTR one in N went with the demise of DJM!

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 5