Class 48 in 00 Considered by “Model Rail”

No Decorum

We modellers { myself included } are such tortured souls aren't we .

Many a good model dismissed as being  not quite right while most of us run it on track that is too narrow , on curves too tight and with 

big coupling hooks on the front .

We are never going to have it all  are we.

Overly large headcode panel or not , its still a great model and i would buy it .

Edited by Albie the plumber
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Albie the plumber said:

We modellers { myself included } are such tortured souls aren't we .

Many a good model dismissed as being  not quite right while most of us run it on track that is too narrow , on curves too tight and with 

big coupling hooks on the front .

We are never going to have it all  are we.

Overly large headcode panel or not , its still a great model and i would buy it .

Bravo. From one who saw them  weekly ex-works from Brush in the mid 1960’s ….which includes ModelRail’s  48…then cast as D1702. 

• Like 3

On 18/02/2024 at 16:44, Clive Mortimore said:

The Sulzer 12LVA24 were unreliable in BR service because one of the tools for setting them up was made wrong by Sulzer. This was discovered  by SNCF after they became their property, their tools had been made correctly and the engines went on to have a long service life.

Please don't ask me which tool as I cannot remember and it wouldn't mean much to me as I am not a diesel fitter but a retired nurse.

Having worked with several maintenance staff over the years who had day to day experience of the 12LVA and the later 16LVA non of them ever said they were unreliable, many of them preferred them to the 12LDA.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 45125 said:

Having worked with several maintenance staff over the years who had day to day experience of the 12LVA and the later 16LVA non of them ever said they were unreliable, many of them preferred them to the 12LDA.

Was that in the UK?

The only 16LVA that I am aware of in a British loco was in Kestrel and the only 5 12LVAs were in the class 48s.

40 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Was that in the UK?

The only 16LVA that I am aware of in a British loco was in Kestrel and the only 5 12LVAs were in the class 48s.

Yes it was in the UK.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I am aware but I have yet to have any cogent reason given for this. It would be good if someone would enlighten me.

The other thread has photos next to a Bachmann and the differences and issues are obvious but the bottom line is you either look at it and like it or you don't: no amount of discussion is going to make any difference to that!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

The other thread has photos next to a Bachmann and the differences and issues are obvious but the bottom line is you either look at it and like it or you don't: no amount of discussion is going to make any difference to that!

It might be a better idea to compare with photos of the real things (there were 512 built with the same cabs) and some reliable drawings. At the same time check the Bachy against the same photos and drawings.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It might be a better idea to compare with photos of the real things (there were 512 built with the same cabs) and some reliable drawings. At the same time check the Bachy against the same photos and drawings.

Or take off your glasses and live in happiness of everything being slightly out of focus, its a great equaliser.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Or take off your glasses and live in happiness of everything being slightly out of focus, its a great equaliser.

That is with my glasses on.

Not sure if I need a second class 48, or for that matter another 47 even if with my good glasses it looks better closer up. When over the other side of the layout the light green band indicates it might be a class 47, or a 25 or a 24 or even one of the two 27s in two tone greens (well only one of them as I don't have the other one).

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Agreed, but in my ageing case it would be more than "slightly" 🤓 !

37 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

Agreed, but in my ageing case it would be more than "slightly" 🤓 !

And me for anything close up - it's another reason to model in N - the detail is even harder to see, if I have two models with the same livery it gets very hard to figure out which one I am looking at.  Somehow I ended up with two Green 35s, two green 25s and two blue 24s

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

13 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

And me for anything close up - it's another reason to model in N - the detail is even harder to see, if I have two models with the same livery it gets very hard to figure out which one I am looking at.  Somehow I ended up with two Green 35s, two green 25s and two blue 24s

Ah, you need to move up to OO, then you could tell one diesel loco from another 😜!!

• Funny 2

1 minute ago, Halvarras said:

Ah, you need to move up to OO, then you could tell one diesel loco from another 😜!!

Tried it once, didn't work out and now like Clive with his trains I am happy with mine.

Existing in a world where you don't need to feel to purchase something new every month because 'it's new'.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Tried it once, didn't work out and now like Clive with his trains I am happy with mine.

Existing in a world where you don't need to feel to purchase something new every month because 'it's new'.

I do understand, and it wasn't a serious suggestion!

I'm wedded to OO myself and collected decent models of everything I require to achieve my goals before I retired nearly 5 years ago. By decent I mean run well and look the part - that's all that matters to me. I'm a happy resident of DC-land and don't need every detail to be present and correct and only my relatively few 1980s era models need working lights, so my pensions aren't stressed by constant £200+ purchases. I think I can still count the number of locos I've bought brand new for over £100 on the fingers and thumbs of both hands (the unavoidable pre-order for Rapido's Port of Par twins may bury that achievement........unless they represent the thumbs!) and as a result I don't break into a sweat when I modify and renumber/rename locos to represent those required for personal/nostalgic reasons and the results turn out less than 100% perfect.

Of course I do admire the fantastic products now being offered (including N where it's lately become difficult to tell the scale in magazine photos at first glance) but I really don't think I'd be upgrading everything even if finances were less of an issue. In the end it's 'Horses for courses', innit?!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

7 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

I do understand, and it wasn't a serious suggestion!

I'm wedded to OO myself and collected decent models of everything I require to achieve my goals before I retired nearly 5 years ago. By decent I mean run well and look the part - that's all that matters to me. I'm a happy resident of DC-land and don't need every detail to be present and correct and only my relatively few 1980s era models need working lights, so my pensions aren't stressed by constant £200+ purchases. I think I can still count the number of locos I've bought brand new for over £100 on the fingers and thumbs of both hands (the unavoidable pre-order for Rapido's Port of Par twins may bury that achievement........unless they represent the thumbs!) and as a result I don't break into a sweat when I modify and renumber/rename locos to represent those required for personal/nostalgic reasons and the results turn out less than 100% perfect.

Of course I do admire the fantastic products now being offered (including N where it's lately become difficult to tell the scale in magazine photos at first glance) but I really don't think I'd be upgrading everything even if finances were less of an issue. In the end it's 'Horses for courses', innit?!

I moved away from UK modelling because I was becoming too obsessed with detail that I could hardly even see.

Since concentrating on US HO I've never been happier in my modelling, I know some details aren't correct but I'm not familiar with them, so I don't care.  At least the gauge is correct 😀

• Like 4

On 09/03/2024 at 15:09, Darius43 said:

Just arrived from Kernow 😀

On 09/03/2024 at 15:09, Darius43 said:

IMG_2369.jpeg.5590f0edee31bf797a3c7f4dd24dfbca.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

Nice - I was aware of the different cantrail grilles on the centre section as they were visible from ground level, but I didn't realise the roof panel between them looked this different from the standard design, so that's a revelation.

I did wonder at the announcement whether this variation was worth the effort for just five locomotives, but now I've seen the finished article I've changed my mind! 

Would the Class 48 TOPS hole have been plugged if Heljan hadn't launched their Mark 2 Class 47? Probably not, so we should be thankful that they did.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Class47-6.png.7dd6ef9d14aebb816b11dc258fd64943.png

In both guises the engine room window at No 2 End driver's corner was deleted. I took some photos of 47901 in 1984, while commuting from Swindon to Bristol by train for 4 months.........I suppose 40 years on I should give the modelling a break and finally get around to scanning all the photos I took then, other than 50007 a sea of BR blue - it's all historical now!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/03/2024 at 10:10, Enterprisingwestern said:

Next up, 47601/901?

Mike.

I keep looking at my 901 project bits and think if I build it some one will make it RTR... My 48 sat waiting for the varnish to dry when Model Rail announced there's, so no doubt if I get round to 901 I know what will be coming, watch this space!

Cheers

James

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

I keep looking at my 901 project bits and think if I build it some one will make it RTR... My 48 sat waiting for the varnish to dry when Model Rail announced there's, so no doubt if I get round to 901 I know what will be coming, watch this space!

Cheers

James

Same here, i have an A1 etch for the 47/9 looking at me, for 2 decades !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1