Ideas for detachable track feeds

• RMweb Premium

Here is an idea for connecting a feed to a dropper below the baseboard: a Molex style female terminal slipped over the dropper:

152727312_P1020319-Copy.JPG.d18bfa1efbfbac2ede3e83514b3f8d34.JPG

The dropper wire is 0.55 mm diameter tinned copper wire, and the Molex terminal is crimped onto 7/0.2 wire. The benefits being you can disconnect the wire when you are trying to find a short circuit, and there is no soldering under the baseboard.

I wonder if we have any thoughts on this? I don't know whether it has been done before (my "own ideas" often have!) but I fancy trying it on my next baseboard. I think it would be especially useful for DCC because finding shorts can be so difficult on a newly-wired layout.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
Title from 'idea' to 'ideas'

• RMweb Gold

For recent changes to my DCC layout I've started using 5-way Wago connectors (eg see Ebay example here).

One feed from the bus to the connector, leaving 4 slots for droppers which can easily be removed in fault-finding. 

Edited by RFS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, RFS said:

For recent changes to my DCC layout I've started using 5-way Wago connectors (eg see Ebay example here).

One feed from the bus to the connector, leaving 4 slots for droppers which can easily be removed in fault-finding. 

I like it!

If I bought ten 5-way Wago blocks and arranged them in two separate "tree" structures I could have 16 pairs of feeds without any soldering and easy isolation for maintenance.

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, 47137 said:

I like it!

If I bought ten 5-way Wago blocks and arranged them in two separate "tree" structures I could have 16 pairs of feeds without any soldering and easy isolation for maintenance.

- Richard.

Yes they're very good - much better than choc-blocs that I started with and need competence with a screwdriver. I also connect the wire to the bus with Scotchlok connectors, so there's no soldering needed at any time under the baseboard (my boards are fixed).

Also, as long as the wires are of the same gauge, it's no problem putting two into one slot. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I ve just started using Waygo 5's for my layout rebuild and so far they seem good. I was hoping to get 2 wires per port but with my choice of cable (cannibalised lighting) I can get about 7 total. Curiously, although there seem to be five individual connectors, internally there is some 'snuggling up' of adjacent cables. Its the quick release and positive feel to the connector that i like

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I now have Wago blocks in most every place under the layout where I want to connect three or more wires together, and they seem to be perfect. They are good for track feeds and for power distribution to accessories.

They are so much easier to use than a screw terminal block, and you can detach individual wires for fault-finding.

I have some 40 x 25 mm cable trunking to hold the bulk of the wiring, and I have many of the Wago blocks inside this. I fixed them down with some self-adhesive foam strip. So the installation looks quite tidy too.

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1