Ex-SNCF Y2200 and Y2400 locotracteurs

JeffP

I've been fascinated by these little 0-4-0 DE locos ever since seeing my first, Y2504, in good condition outside the goods shed at Millau one August. It had made it's way up the ligne des causses from it's home depot at Beziers, around 1992.

I later caught up with it at Beziers works awaiting it's fate on a scrap line, mid to late 90's.

On buying a later copy of the Platfrom 5 SNCF book, I found that many had been sold into private use.

I found one at the cereal silos at Allonnes, it can be glimpsed from the N154 overbridge, and can even be seen on Google Earth!

Here's another I found accidentally by going cross country from Chartres towards Orleans to avoid lorries.

It's at Axereal at Fains-la-Folie.

I asked permission before taking photos. The men were doing trackwork in preparation for it's new season's work in July.

P1000671.JPG.c88f12edec2c14f39966bf2563384696.JPG

And this is a shot of the Axereal installation taken from the old station at Fains la Folie, the line goes from Voves southwards through a few of the Beauce's "grain towns", before making it's way into the yard  at Orleans les Aubrais.

P1000675.JPG.50ade8d97a1d72c01fa124572a5f7ebd.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

In the 90' s and early 00's, they were mostly confined to the larger depots where they were ideal for moving a dead loco onto, or off, a turntable or traverser.

Many acquired numbers in the series " LOCMA 0xx", so they no longer showed up on a list of locomotive assets. Tax purposes?

LOCMA was short for Loco des Manoeuvres.

Some also acquired new paint jobs, I've recorded them in azur blue, yellow, purple etc.