Photo stitching non-overlapping images from scanned slides

Stephenwolsten

I would like to create a composite digital image for printing off as a back scene for a 7mm dockside/industrial layout.   The effect I want to create is of old, closely packed, tall  warehouses immediately behind the layout.   I have several good quality Fuji slides from the late 1980s/early 1990s.   I want to stitch these together and to cut off the bottom to create a single back scene image.  This new composite image needs to be in a resolution high enough to have printed on a vinyl sheet about 6 ft wide x 2 ft high.

The software I have 'googled' mostly deals with stitching overlapping panoramic pictures taken on a mobile phone.   But I assume that images from non-overlapping scanned slides could also be stitched together?   I know that there are many issues involved with stitching, such as matching exposures, perspective, shadows etc.   But has anyone tried what I want to do please, or have any advice?   For example, should I get the few slides scanned in TIFF or JPEG?   What resolution would be needed for a 6ft long backdrop?   What software could do this?  Has anyone found a commercial place to do this work please?

If there is no common overlap then most if not all stitching software will fail

You could using one of the common photo editing software programs create a document the final size then just drop the individual images into the require place, edges may or may not be that obvious and you could do some blending at the edges to lessen the defects.

The software I have used for building panoramas is PosteRazor and Posteriza, both do a reasonable job but like most some overlap is needed for the best results.

NGM 

• Thanks 1