EFE Rail launches Austerities and J94 in 00

Steamport Southport

EFE Rail announces range of Austerity and J94 0-6-0STs.

E85001 OO J94 Saddle Tank 68075 BR Black (Late Crest) [Weathered] 169.95

E85001.jpg

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/627/j94-saddle-tank-68075-br-black-(late-crest)-[w]/e85001

E85002 OO J94 Saddle Tank 68043 BR Black (Early Emblem) 149.95

E85002.jpg

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/627/j94-saddle-tank-68043-br-black-(early-emblem)/e85002

E85003 OO J94 Saddle Tank No. 19 NCB Blue & Yellow 149.95

E85003.jpg

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/627/j94-saddle-tank-no-19-ncb-blue-and-yellow/e85003

E85004 OO J94 Saddle Tank ‘Amazon’ National Coal Board Green [Weathered] 169.95

E85004.jpg

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/627/j94-saddle-tank-'amazon'-national-coal-board-green-[w]/e85004

E85005 OO J94 Saddle Tank 195 Longmoor Military Railway Lined Blue 149.95

E85005.jpg

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/627/j94-saddle-tank-195-longmoor-military-railway-lined-blue/e85005

E85006 OO J94 Saddle Tank Army 92 ‘Waggoner’ Army Green 149.95

E85006.jpg

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/627/j94-saddle-tank-army-92-'waggoner'-army-green/e85006

Next18 DCC Decoder Socket – the decoder socket is located inside the smokebox and is easily accessed via the magnetic smokebox door

Sprung Buffers

NEM Coupling Pockets

Accessory Pack

Recommended Decoder – 36-567

Not difficult is it? 

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, mervyn said:

Does anyone know if these are still fitted with the DJM Mechanism or have Bachman redone the chassis .

it said something about a new mechanism in the short video they released but I have no idea how much they have changed. Or whether it is coreless or not.

Jason

• Moderators

The answers were in my posts in the original EFE range launch topic along with the images which would have made the topic more useful. The chassis and gearing are the same with an improved coreless motor and Next18 socket.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

I'm glad they've moved to cordless, I always found the flex a bit limiting.

Were heading the right direction, if what follows is wireless (charging and operation), were one giant leap towards dead rail.

:drink_mini:

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Bit the bullet, so to speak, and ordered to Comrie one (HE 3818 / NCB 19) from my local model shop.  As I said elsewhere on her, the livery is awful, but correct.

I used to have two of the DJ ones in BR colours, that I bought when they were released.  Both ran like a dream until I chipped them; the less said about what happened next, the better.  Shop graciously took them back as they were no use to me at the time if they didn't run well under DCC.

To be honest, the release of this has enabled me to decide on my next project.  It will be analogue controlled.

Regards,

Alex.

Good thing about these will be they will come under Bachmann's warranty.

From the leaflet

Each locomotive is covered by Bachmann's comprehensive 12-month warranty giving you the same confidence when purchasing these models as when you choose any other Bachmann product.

Remember a certain someone who virtually fobbed you off when asking about warranty saying it was up to the retailer?

Jason

Do we know if the changed motor from the original fitted to the DJ version has solved the 'cogging' problem that several contributors to this and other forums reported, with the DJ Models all wheel drive system fitted to their steam outline models. The Austerity/J94 and Hattons 14xx models seem to have been the worse affected. The problem exhibited itself when the models were run down an incline, worse with a rear load of wagons, where there was stuttering or 'cogging' in the loco movement, primarily at low speed, which is how Austerities are going to work. With Austerities used in coal industry settings, likely to be run on layouts with inclines, this seems to be an issue that needs to have been addressed.

Albion Yard did a strip down of the Austerity drive system, testing at each stage and came to the conclusion it was likely to be a combination of play in the drive train and play in the worm and 1st gear. I've attached a link to their article:

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2017/08/21/removals/

I remember Captain Kernow of this parish, decided to replace the chassis on his 14xx with an alternative to try and resolve the issue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Do we know if the changed motor from the original fitted to the DJ version.

Read the thread "The chassis and gearing are the same with an improved coreless motor and Next18 socket" six postings above yours. Pity it has not had the chassis tweaked to normal single axle drive as every DJM loco I have seen does have a slight to quite pronounced weird motion to its coupling rods

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Read the thread "The chassis and gearing are the same with an improved coreless motor and Next18 socket" six postings above yours. Pity it has not had the chassis tweaked to normal single axle drive as every DJM loco I have seen does have a slight to quite pronounced weird motion to its coupling rods

Yes I did read that before posting thank you, but one of the previously suggested alternative solutions was to replace the motor with a more powerful type, so I'd like to know if the motor replacement has resolved the problem. Certainly I'd want to get models tested on an incline, bearing in mind the effect was at quite a shallow incline. I have my DJ BR J94s working on flat sections, with the coal area managed by Hornby Austerities at the moment.

Edited by rembrow

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Do we know if the changed motor from the original fitted to the DJ version has solved the 'cogging' problem

On the basis that no one has got one in their hands yet, no. 

42 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

On the basis that no one has got one in their hands yet, no. 

Andy, I hope my question wasn't thought of as obtuse, I raised it to see if those in the Model Press such as yourself and Phil or retail members of this forum, had raised this issue with any contact they had with Bachmann or Bachmann reps, about this new range. I am interested in an NCB/colliery liveried version, having held back before when this problem was identified. Most retailers don't have inclines on test tracks so normal retailer tests are unlikely to check for this issue. 

I'll contact Bachmann direct as a Bachmann club member, to see if there is an answer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rembrow said:

Do we know if the changed motor from the original fitted to the DJ version has solved the 'cogging' problem that several contributors to this and other forums reported, with the DJ Models all wheel drive system fitted to their steam outline models...

If the design remains unchanged with the wheels both gear and rod coupled the problem is likely to remain. Either coupling system individually will work well: rod coupled with drive typically on one axle; all gear coupled and no rods.

But unless properly designed for assembly, there is a potential problem when both are employed. It's very simple indeed: just as the rod coupling demands the same 'quartering' on each of the wheelsets to give of its best, the axle gear tooth positions must also be uniform over all the wheelsets relative to the crankpin position if they are also to be rod coupled. That must be designed for at assembly; and my guess is that it isn't, because this gear alignment is simply not required in well proven solely gear coupled drives which work perfectly well, because there is no second coupling system. (Secondary to this, any slack in the gear coupling arrangements; but the primary problem is enough to be going on with.)

The effect of small variations in gear alignment relative to the crankpins can be somewhat compensated for by having the crankpins slack in the crankpin holes, and allowing the rods to be cosmetic rather than working items 'going along as passengers' assuming whatever angle is required to prevent them binding too badly. Some models will by chance receive happily well matched wheelsets, others, not so good; something of a lottery. Whether adjustment is possible I don't know, never having had the chance to properly examine one.

(I first saw this effect in model railway when long ago asked to look at a Lima 08, which was a reliable but jerky runner, the only previous OO loco example I have seen rod and gear coupled. It would run smoothly either with the rods off, or with the intermediate gears between the wheelsets removed. The latter was naturally chosen.)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jenny Emily said:

Looking at the NCB yellow/blue loco, I can’t help but think that this would have been a far better model to supply factory weathered. In clean form it reminds me of cheap plastic toys from the 1970s. 

Probably guaranteed to occupy a number of sale listings in a years time, although given the amount of DJM ones still looking for a buyer maybe all will end up dramatically reduced as the two main areas of concern to many modellers have not seemingly been addressed - the all gear drive and the split chassis form, although the latter is a perfectly sound arrangement well implemented by Triang with their Rocket and has just become a no-no to many due to Kaders production with it.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

given the amount of DJM ones still looking for a buyer

I don't see much unsold new stock out there.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

Looking at the NCB yellow/blue loco, I can’t help but think that this would have been a far better model to supply factory weathered. In clean form it reminds me of cheap plastic toys from the 1970s. 

I was looking at the pictures of the prototype that I posted in my 70s Industrial Steam thread and I was thinking the exact same thing. I bet that the only day that it was clean was the day that it rolled out of the workshop.

• Agree 1

No thanks. Not seen many factory weathered locomotives that looks right.

Rather save the £20 or so extra and do it myself.

But have a look at the photograph here on a layout. It looks much better and less "plasticky".

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/68457/E85003-EFE-Rail-Class-J94-0-6-0-Steam-Locomotive-number-19

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Smaller traders have them, Hereford have 29.

Well there's certainly not widespread quantities across bigger stockists, there's a limited selection of liveries there.

• Agree 1