EFE Rail launches Austerities and J94 in 00

Steamport Southport

NCB number 19 arrived today. Looks a wonderful model and I’m looking forward to running it.

however, I have to admit that I’m a tad miffed that the loco can’t be stored in its packaging with the couplings attached. Put them in the NEM pockets and closing up the packaging around the loco bends them downwards in a quite alarming fashion. So I’ve now got to handle the loco both before and after every running session or take a craft knife to the packaging to make clearance

I didn’t pay full RRP for the loco, but I got it for £127. I’ve got to confess that that issue at that price rankles a bit.  There are a couple of spots of blue on the yellow cab of my engine too, but they are barely noticeable and that doesn’t bother me too much.

Minor points, neither of which constitute a dealbreaker for me, but are nonetheless rather irritating 

• Informative/Useful 2

Spent some time judging where exactly the nameplates on Waggoner should go and having stuck one on, measured it and found the forwardmost "foot" was 40mm from the bufferbeam, the other being 7.5mm distant. I put a dab of Evostick Serious Glue,  which dries clear and gives you a good 3 minutes of play time,  in each location and found simplest was  of fitting each plate in place was to hold it projecting out from the running plate and then fit in place with a hinge motion. 

With regard to removing the smokebox door I flipped it off using a fingernail on the hinge which was strong enough.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 12/09/2020 at 11:31, Butler Henderson said:

Spent some time judging where exactly the nameplates on Waggoner should go and having stuck one on, measured it and found the forwardmost "foot" was 40mm from the bufferbeam, the other being 7.5mm distant. I put a dab of Evostick Serious Glue,  which dries clear and gives you a good 3 minutes of play time,  in each location and found simplest was  of fitting each plate in place was to hold it projecting out from the running plate and then fit in place with a hinge motion. 

With regard to removing the smokebox door I flipped it off using a fingernail on the hinge which was strong enough.

By the third demonstration to club members the smokebox door on mine will come off with a fingernail behind the hinge.  It was a lot tighter than that first time...

Les

It looks great and runs smoothly on straight track, but it is prone to stalling on Peco insulfrog points, despite clean track and wheels. Perhaps there is a way to improve this, tho as all the wheels seems fixed and geared there seems little opportunity for introducing compensation.

14 hours ago, paulbb said:

It looks great and runs smoothly on straight track, but it is prone to stalling on Peco insulfrog points, despite clean track and wheels. Perhaps there is a way to improve this, tho as all the wheels seems fixed and geared there seems little opportunity for introducing compensation.

Mines perfect on insulfrogs so its possible the pickups need adjusting on yours

On 10/09/2020 at 00:18, Edge said:

NCB number 19 arrived today. Looks a wonderful model and I’m looking forward to running it.

however, I have to admit that I’m a tad miffed that the loco can’t be stored in its packaging with the couplings attached. Put them in the NEM pockets and closing up the packaging around the loco bends them downwards in a quite alarming fashion. So I’ve now got to handle the loco both before and after every running session or take a craft knife to the packaging to make clearance

I didn’t pay full RRP for the loco, but I got it for £127. I’ve got to confess that that issue at that price rankles a bit.  There are a couple of spots of blue on the yellow cab of my engine too, but they are barely noticeable and that doesn’t bother me too much.

Minor points, neither of which constitute a dealbreaker for me, but are nonetheless rather irritating 

If it is foam like the DJM ones, a sharp scalpel will soon sort the issue. It did on my DJM ones.

34 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

If it is foam like the DJM ones, a sharp scalpel will soon sort the issue. It did on my DJM ones.

It’s a plastic ice cube package, as you get from Hornby, Bachmann et al. 

but you’re right, a sharp scalpel will sort it out. When I get round to it :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/08/2020 at 21:42, ovbulleid said:

You might struggle to see but this is 195 hauling my not inconsiderable train of LMR wagons. It had about an hour each way of running in then I chipped it. 

What does this have which it’s predecessors doesn’t? A next 18 socket hidden behind the smoke box door which extends to maybe 2/3 of the water tank, I was worried about space before but I’ll comfortably get a sound chip and stay alive in there- there’s wires to the bunker for a speaker (like the O2 and others). I’ve put off chilling my Hornby austerities as I know how hard they will be to get sound in, this has it designed in from day 1. I’d be tempted to say that the others are high standard toy trains, whereas this is a good model. Hornby’s offering is good, but it really belongs in the railroad section now.

9D023416-3A43-4854-B713-46EF9E74D0DC.jpeg

That's a delightful layout.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2020 at 16:43, Tryfan said:

Can anyone tell me if E85001 No.68075 extended coal bunker is detachable, or would it require surgery?

It looks detachable. But it looks like it includes the cab rear spectacle plate which is a different style to the normal version.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/68454/E85001-EFE-Rail-Class-J94-0-6-0-Steam-Locomotive-number-68075

Jason

On 19/10/2020 at 16:43, Tryfan said:

Can anyone tell me if E85001 No.68075 extended coal bunker is detachable, or would it require surgery?

The cab and bunker are a single moulding.  It does mean that unlike Hornby you can't make a Cromford & High Peak by sliding in a set of narrow cab windows on a low bunker version.

Not a good angle but this is an early Dapol with the high bunker window slides on  a low bunker loco.

495596375_Hornbyforcomparison.JPG.1d8966b0f642d8a663ea3c1bd9f084ea.JPG

Les

Edited by Les1952

I was looking to convert it to a C&HPR loco given that it had narrow cab widows and the extra pair of steps, but given the price of the model there is no way I'm going to cut the extended bunker off.

Thanks for your comments.

David

Edited by Tryfan
Spelling mistake.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick query to confirm a thought.

DJModels never did the GPCS fitted Austerities, did they? I'm thinking about grabbing one of these EFE ones to turn into a modified example, but just worth checking that one is likely to not be on the horizon before modifying one.

A quick search shows up no info, but thought I'd check with those in the know.

3 hours ago, 69843 said:

DJModels never did the GPCS fitted Austerities, did they? I'm thinking about grabbing one of these EFE ones to turn into a modified example, but just worth checking that one is likely to not be on the horizon before modifying one.

Wasn't the yellow RMWeb one a GPCS fitted version? It had the different chimney and the circular device on the smokebox door.

Jason

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Wasn't the yellow RMWeb one a GPCS fitted version? It had the different chimney and the circular device on the smokebox door.

Jason

So it was! I had totally forgotten about this version of the model. I guess it's either wait and see, or try and source some spares.

21 hours ago, 69843 said:

There were three with GPCS. 

The RMWeb Yellow peril No.65

Black NCB Backworth No.4

Weathered maroon NCB Peckfield unnumbered.

Hope this helps.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos...
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It is good that the EFE J94 seems to have overcome the DJM "cogging" problem. My problem is that my DJM one suffers from this problem and, as I have a "Hopton" incline on the layout it has a visible problem when descending with a train and I don't like that. I am happy with the body of the DJM and it models a particular J94 that I would like to keep (68012) . I initially considered buying one of the new EFE J94s to use the chassis under this body but it is too high priced for me just to do that with it.

I have two Hornby J94s and I am happy with the way they run and they can be picked up cheaply (relatively). I am already in process of renumbering and altering the bodywork on the two Hornby ones to make them into C&HPR locos but that made me think about the DJM loco. Is it possible to make the DJM body fit a Hornby/Dapol chassis? I suspect the amount of work is probably not worth it but I wondered if anyone has looked at that?

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

I initially considered buying one of the new EFE J94s to use the chassis under this body but it is too high priced for me just to do that with it.

Maybe a kindly soul who has both versions and the stomach to dismantle both could see if the dimensions of the motor could be taken an whether there's any identifiers to the origins and model number to see if a better motor cures the problem (after all nothing else relevant has changed) and you fancy a jigsaw challenge.

Dunno if this is any help.

An old & much modified Dapol/Hornby J94/ Austerity chassis at top with a DJM chassis bottom.

Maybe Hornby do a J94 data sheet that will give a clue to motor type & size. I suspect Hornby still use an open frame motor and there will be quit a bit of surgery required to get any organ donations from the Hornby  J94 to fit a DJM.

J94-DJM-68023-049-EditSm.jpg.1cd9df15605b4160ab14710eda30a9c7.jpg

• Like 1