Jump to content

EFE Rail launches Austerities and J94 in 00


Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

Mine don't run on gradients as I have none, nor are there any on the club layout

Les

 

 

 

 

Note again referring specifically to DJM versions of the J94.

Whats frustrating is you don’t even know if your DJM versions suffer from cogging!  The specific issue causing the problems were downhill gradients and that was made clear at the time, yet you said there was no problem. Obviously not if you’re running them on a flat surface.
An easy check is get a yard of flex track and place it on a batten. Put an open wagon coupled either in front or behind the loco and load the wagon with a handful of loose change, drive the loco and film it. It’d be nice to see if your problem free DJM models are in fact problem free, or the same as every other one I’ve seen on a descending gradient.

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

May I suggest that we pause the DJMODELS  chassis problem discussion for the moment, on here at least.
 

EFE have changed the motor, and @Andy Y has tested the new production version without a recurrence of the issue which is very promising. When the models arrive in the shops it’ll perhaps be worthwhile looking at again.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/08/2020 at 18:34, micklner said:

Try again

 

DJ version chassis problems.

 

 


To be fair in the comments section of the video the owner does go on to say that the "chip" was faulty. 

 

I may well get an EFE one if the price drops during sales etc 

 

Paul A. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Bachmann has recently posted this:

 

 

 

Just saying.

 

Really looking forward to my LMR J94.

 

Let's give it the chance it deserves. Video looks very good.

 

Fingers crossed we are all happy with our new EFE J94's.

 

Less said about DJM the better though I do very much sympathise with any previously unhappy customers.

 

Hoping to have my new model here very shortly and now need to source a Bachmann 36-567 decoder for it.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

Out of curiosity what makes these EFE Austerities worth nearly twice the price of the Dapol / Hormby version?

 

Gordon A

A very good question. They’re DCC ready. The wheels are a little better. On the other hand, they’ve a coreless motor. There doesn’t seem to be very much else.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gordon A said:

Out of curiosity what makes these EFE Austerities worth nearly twice the price of the Dapol / Hormby version?

 

Gordon A

 

The Dapol, now Hornby one dates from about 1985. Fantastic for it's day but very tired and crude in parts. RRP of that is probably a bit too high at nearly £90 as it's pretty much Railroad standard now. Especially since it's in the same price range as the new Terrier.

 

Another case of a manufacturer sleeping on the job when it comes to retooling a model I feel. Then seeing that prototype snatched away by a model that isn't quite the definitive version.

 

 

 

 

Jason

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Another case of a manufacturer sleeping on the job when it comes to retooling a model I feel. Then seeing that prototype snatched away by a model that isn't quite the definitive version.

 

Jason

Like every other business they have finite amounts of time, people and money and presumably reckon that by and large those resources can be more profitably used to develop new models rather than upgrading old ones. OK as they run out of "profitable" new subjects to model  we are seeing more re-working of old subjects, but particularly in Hornby's case there's a huge legacy of old stuff to work through. So hardly sleeping on the job.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

A very good question. They’re DCC ready. The wheels are a little better. On the other hand, they’ve a coreless motor. There doesn’t seem to be very much else.

The only thing I can see better, is that it doesnt have the horrid Boiler join at the bottom of the Saddle Tank. Otherwise zip !!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Out of curiosity what makes these EFE Austerities worth nearly twice the price of the Dapol / Hornby version?

Or even four times the price of a s/h one that is in decent condition? This was recognised as the Achilles' heel of this subject choice. That Hornby didn't 'mount a defence' as they did for the Hattons/DJM King project, might suggest what they knew about this subject's standing in the desireability stakes...

 

(My sole BR(ER) J94 was a long ago sub £30 s/h purchase, and after being worked on still runs and pulls beautifully, and looks like a slightly distressed and filthy J94 in 'Hornsey utility' condition - good enough for something frankly not that exciting but necessary as part of the scene. From DJM's first 'planned releases' announcement I was solely interested in the 0-6-0T Hudswell-Clarke, as an example of the small six coupled contractor's loco breed: at that time not proposed by any other manufacturer, but sadly that never got anywhere.)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You might struggle to see but this is 195 hauling my not inconsiderable train of LMR wagons. It had about an hour each way of running in then I chipped it. 

 

What does this have which it’s predecessors doesn’t? A next 18 socket hidden behind the smoke box door which extends to maybe 2/3 of the water tank, I was worried about space before but I’ll comfortably get a sound chip and stay alive in there- there’s wires to the bunker for a speaker (like the O2 and others). I’ve put off chilling my Hornby austerities as I know how hard they will be to get sound in, this has it designed in from day 1. I’d be tempted to say that the others are high standard toy trains, whereas this is a good model. Hornby’s offering is good, but it really belongs in the railroad section now.

9D023416-3A43-4854-B713-46EF9E74D0DC.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Or even four times the price of a s/h one that is in decent condition? This was recognised as the Achilles' heel of this subject choice. That Hornby didn't 'mount a defence' as they did for the Hattons/DJM King project, might suggest what they knew about this subject's standing in the desireability stakes...

 

(My sole BR(ER) J94 was a long ago sub £30 s/h purchase, and after being worked on still runs and pulls beautifully, and looks like a slightly distressed and filthy J94 in 'Hornsey utility' condition - good enough for something frankly not that exciting but necessary as part of the scene. From DJM's first 'planned releases' announcement I was solely interested in the 0-6-0T Hudswell-Clarke, as an example of the small six coupled contractor's loco breed: at that time not proposed by any other manufacturer, but sadly that never got anywhere.)

 

Hopefully somebody will now pick up the Hudswell-Clarke project and bring it to fruition for a bit more variety.

I am hoping for some 02s as well to fill the gap on the Isle of Wight front.

 

All the best

Ray

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ovbulleid said:

You might struggle to see but this is 195 hauling my not inconsiderable train of LMR wagons. It had about an hour each way of running in then I chipped it. 

 

What does this have which it’s predecessors doesn’t? A next 18 socket hidden behind the smoke box door which extends to maybe 2/3 of the water tank, I was worried about space before but I’ll comfortably get a sound chip and stay alive in there- there’s wires to the bunker for a speaker (like the O2 and others). I’ve put off chilling my Hornby austerities as I know how hard they will be to get sound in, this has it designed in from day 1. I’d be tempted to say that the others are high standard toy trains, whereas this is a good model. Hornby’s offering is good, but it really belongs in the railroad section now.

9D023416-3A43-4854-B713-46EF9E74D0DC.jpeg

 

Is there an accurate sound chip available for the J94 ?

 

All the best

Ray

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/08/2020 at 01:41, Porcy Mane said:

Bachmann has recently posted this:

 

 

 

Just saying.

 

two thoughts-

 

They didn't exactly stretch the haulage capacity.

 

Given the light front end of the DJM version I would have liked to see the yellow one take the curved path through the pointwork into the yard- which at the speed it was running would often defeat a DJM...

 

Les

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The video should have shown them climbing the gradient ,a well known problem with the DJ version.

 

The first J94 driving wheels when it appears on top of the gradient in the video, look like the are spinning fast compared to the actual Loco speed.

Edited by micklner
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, class8mikado said:

Wonder if there was enough work done 

for Bachman to consider updating their N Gauge offering...

 

With a wheelbase less than the J72 and no side tanks to hide the works then if Bachmann consider the J72 beyond them in N I suspect the J94 is in the same category.  One for Sonic?

 

Les

 

Edited by Les1952
grammar
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/08/2020 at 07:10, Opelsi said:

 

Really looking forward to my LMR J94.

 

Let's give it the chance it deserves. Video looks very good.

 

Fingers crossed we are all happy with our new EFE J94's.

 

Less said about DJM the better though I do very much sympathise with any previously unhappy customers.

 

Hoping to have my new model here very shortly and now need to source a Bachmann 36-567 decoder for it.

I'm afraid I went for it in a big way and bought the four non-BR liveries.

 

All now in my possession.

 

Nice to see they are now in plastic clamshell packaging - the smokebox dart and rail above the smokebox door always looked in mortal danger in the original DJ foam packaging. This is much better. And it's then packed in a heavy duty foam-lined printed box and lid.

 

The NCB Blue/yellow one is the one that's had most running, including up/down gradients. Perhaps the merest hint of cogging going downhill in reverse, certainly nothing to get excited about;

 then again it still needs running in. And the blue isn't as bright as some of the launch advertising can make it look. Overall I'm very happy with them.

 

I hope they succeed - the thought of further liveries being launched, either by Kernow themselves or via EFE is appealing, but these have to be a commercial success for that to happen.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Picked up the BR early crest version today. Only had a quick test to check it runs and the difference in running quality between this and the DJM version is like night and day. 

 

Smooth quiet and runs nice over insulfrogs.

 

Will run it in some more later on then fit a DCC chip, the only Next18 chip i have is a laisdcc, hopefully it will be ok

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

Picked up the BR early crest version today. Only had a quick test to check it runs and the difference in running quality between this and the DJM version is like night and day. 

 

Smooth quiet 

Crikey that's a big improvement, the DJM one I brifley owned was the noisiest model I have ever encountered

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.