EFE Rail launches Austerities and J94 in 00

Steamport Southport

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Maybe a kindly soul who has both versions and the stomach to dismantle both could see if the dimensions of the motor could be taken an whether there's any identifiers to the origins and model number to see if a better motor cures the problem (after all nothing else relevant has changed) and you fancy a jigsaw challenge.

Thank you for asking that question but I wouldn't want anybody doing it "just to see". It was just a case of wondering if anyone has already tried it (and been successful!). I may have a look myself though because that darn "cogging" on the DJM is driving me mad!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 18/11/2020 at 23:09, 69843 said:

So it was! I had totally forgotten about this version of the model. I guess it's either wait and see, or try and source some spares.

If you require the gas producing glass fibre chimney, RT Models does a white metal casting as well as various other austerity parts.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Evening all...

Long story short, I’ve had a bit of a thought about approaching EFE (or whoever) to make a model of a local austerity to me that is currently being overhauled, I believe this was on the list of DJM ones to be made and obviously never came to fruition.  Probably quite a unique loco in that it was fitted with the Gas Producer system that was removed very quickly after however it retained its fibreglass chimney and that was it.  It also featured slightly different wheels and a steam generator, not the usual Stones one.  Any thoughts on the usual process for this?  I feel it would fill a gap in the market and possibly something interesting as it’s a prototypical loco as well as a preserved one.  The loco is South Hetton No69.

cheers in advance

Mick 

EE048C6B-AA9A-4978-8761-794D34FCB49B.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eccles90 said:

Evening all...

Long story short, I’ve had a bit of a thought about approaching EFE (or whoever) to make a model of a local austerity to me that is currently being overhauled, I believe this was on the list of DJM ones to be made and obviously never came to fruition.  Probably quite a unique loco in that it was fitted with the Gas Producer system that was removed very quickly after however it retained its fibreglass chimney and that was it.  It also featured slightly different wheels and a steam generator, not the usual Stones one.  Any thoughts on the usual process for this?  I feel it would fill a gap in the market and possibly something interesting as it’s a prototypical loco as well as a preserved one.  The loco is South Hetton No69.

cheers in advance

Mick 

EE048C6B-AA9A-4978-8761-794D34FCB49B.jpeg

You can see the remnants of red lining on this one so why not just start with a Backworth No.4 of DJM/Hattons?   The box (radio housing?) on the footplate can be fabricated out of plasticard- even by a muffin like me...

Just a thought.

Les

(who wouldn't mind a South Hetton 72 to add to his collection)

21 hours ago, Les1952 said:

You can see the remnants of red lining on this one so why not just start with a Backworth No.4 of DJM/Hattons?   The box (radio housing?) on the footplate can be fabricated out of plasticard- even by a muffin like me...

Just a thought.

Les

(who wouldn't mind a South Hetton 72 to add to his collection)

Hi Les,  I had thought about this, the No4 from Backworth is a bit rare, I was more thinking of a commission build, as you suggested you would like a model of 72 so there would be scope to make a few different versions from the South Hetton system.  

michael

3 hours ago, Eccles90 said:

Hi Les,  I had thought about this, the No4 from Backworth is a bit rare, I was more thinking of a commission build, as you suggested you would like a model of 72 so there would be scope to make a few different versions from the South Hetton system.  

michael

I think the footplate box is a useful 3D print afterpart for someone to make.  leaving it off would make it more likely a South Hetton loco would be made - assuming they haven't lost the mould for the upturned flowerpot chimney.

Just a thought

Les

• 4 weeks later...

A short running session featuring the EFE Rail Austerity 0-6-0ST edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of fellow class members from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see No.19 action in dazzling NCB Blue and Yellow livery, hauling a short mixed rake open and mineral wagons.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

Looking at the Hornby announcement they've got a NCB liveried LMS brake van. I'm pretty sure it's the one that was at Comrie Colliery at the same time as No 19.

http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/10115.htm

https://www.hattons.co.uk/619438/hornby_r60039_ex_lms_20_ton_brake_van_in_ncb_blue_due_sep_21/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

• Informative/Useful 3

22 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Looking at the Hornby announcement they've got a NCB liveried LMS brake van. I'm pretty sure it's the one that was at Comrie Colliery at the same time as No 19.

http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/10115.htm

https://www.hattons.co.uk/619438/hornby_r60039_ex_lms_20_ton_brake_van_in_ncb_blue_due_sep_21/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

It certainly looks like it. Perhaps some clever retailers could sell them together as a pack.

Comrie Colliery, Saline, Scotland NCB Comrie Colliery

NCB Comrie Colliery

19 at Comrie Colliery

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Can't we wait for the actual item to turn up before criticising it?

Jason

It might not be a criticism.  Blue is notorious for fading so if not painted on the same day and always exposed to the same amount of sun the two would quickly have become differently coloured- apart from the filth they collected in service....

Les

Edited by Les1952
typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• 1 month later...

Recieved the blue NCB one today and sadly its nowhere near as good as the BR one i mentioned previously in this topic.

The wheelsets have a lot more play in them, but the loco is picking up from all 3 wheelsets ive checked.

Running over insulfrogs is very iffy - its not my layout as the previous J94 and a little hattons barclay are faultless runners over the pointwork.

Ive put a gaugemaster DCC 18 decoder in it and to be honest it runs worse on DCC. Hopefully i can change a few settings on the decoder to give decent running. If not sadly it will have to be returned.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 23:21, Les1952 said:

It might not be a criticism.  Blue is notorious for fading so if not painted on the same day and always exposed to the same amount of sun the two would quickly have become differently coloured- apart from the filth they collected in service....

Les

The photies are ample testimony to this. The earlier ones were obviously taken within a day, if not hours, of coming out of the paint shop, while the last one looks a lot more "convincing" and both models as offered will clearly benefit from weathering. I don't know how long the van had air conditioning, but it certainly appears in a lot of photies.

• RMweb Gold
On 10/12/2020 at 22:40, adb968008 said:

That MSC j94 would be nice.

Oh yes, 100%. Les 1952 of this parish did a cracker, if I recall.  'Tis a serious pity that the 'entrepreneur' messed up. I've got an extreme soft spot for 18" Austerities, and I would have happily bought a few more. Reality dictates that EFE won't necessarily release the liveries that I'd like to have. After all, you can't go around releasing an entire colour scheme run on the basis of what I want... 

• Like 2

On 16/03/2021 at 16:35, tomparryharry said:

. After all, you can't go around releasing an entire colour scheme run on the basis of what I want... 

You can always hope......

or prowl round eBay for a cheap Dapol or Hornby WD and spray paint...

Les

On 17/03/2021 at 20:56, Les1952 said:

You can always hope......

or prowl round eBay for a cheap Dapol or Hornby WD and spray paint...

Les

At the moment It seems like Hornby Austerities are going up in price rather than down. 

Paul. 

• RMweb Gold
On 16/03/2021 at 16:35, tomparryharry said:

After all, you can't go around releasing an entire colour scheme run on the basis of what I want... 

I really don't see why not, says he hoping for colour schemes, not to mention entire models, that Johnster wants...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...