Dapol/Airfix Prestwin

34 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

I've got an Airfix one of those to build to relive old memories of doing one back in the late '60s. Hopefully I'll make a better job of it now though.

Yes, Airfix were the original manufacturer, not Kitmaster.  It does get rather confusing when talking about these old kits as they have changed hands often over the years.  The two Airfix cement wagons, Presflo and Prestwin, were really good for their day and I think still stand up well today.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, 5050 said:

Yes, Airfix were the original manufacturer, not Kitmaster.

Just to confuse matters, Dapol have now started reusing the 'Kitmaster' brand on their latest packaging. :D

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Yes, possibly a move deliberately designed to confuse future generations. People get things like the Drewry wrong often enough already (Airfix originally, not Kitmaster and the only locomotive kit they originated in 1:76 scale; a Railbus is not a locomotive, of course!)

Edited by BernardTPM

25 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

Yes, possibly a move deliberately designed to confuse future generations. People get things like the Drewry wrong often enough already (Airfix originally, not Kitmaster and the only locomotive kit they originated in 1:76 scale; a Railbus is not a locomotive, of course!)

Hi Bernard,

Although hard to find, this is the book you need:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lets-Stick-Little-Bit-More/dp/1906919496

It even has chapter about the Scalecraft Roadrailer.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

The  Drewry shunter was an Airfix product

• RMweb Gold

My favourites, I kept some of these Airfix kits from the 1960`s and finally made them to P4 scale in 2005......

1345173317_MODELSONLY150.jpg.c6fc50f2146b39f8bc04876020e14b54.jpg

1788485003_MODELSONLY154.jpg.f46b5606fa80250a669c65f2bc4ffbfd.jpg

114537100_MODELSONLY022.jpg.5ab753f15752ea124bc90a269aa40a16.jpg

364891632_sp13002.jpg.5c03b09674f398750ab0bf9b90fe363e.jpg

The cattle van and meat van have replacement W irons and axle boxes..... but they are and always have been great kits......

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

11 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Bernard,

Although hard to find, this is the book you need:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lets-Stick-Little-Bit-More/dp/1906919496

It even has chapter about the Scalecraft Roadrailer.

Gibbo.

I've got the first book of that series, but not the second. The Roadrailer was an interesting kit of an unsuccessful prototype. I know Peco distributed it but I suspect there was only ever one run of them made. I have still got parts of a Scalecraft Medway Queen, a quite different product altogether; not really a scale model and made in a polythene type plastic, largely, as a clip-together, floating model.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/08/2020 at 23:14, laurenceb said:

21 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Which is exactly what I said...

8 hours ago, laurenceb said:

Airfix not Kitmaster

8 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

As I said - "Drewry ...... (Airfix originally, not Kitmaster..."

My saying "not Kitmaster" means it wasn't Kitmaster, I'd have thought.

Where's this going, and why?

Reminds me of the Month Python argument sketch.

Mike

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

On 07/08/2020 at 21:10, BernardTPM said:

On 07/08/2020 at 22:14, laurenceb said:

On 08/08/2020 at 09:29, BernardTPM said:

Which is exactly what I said...

11 hours ago, laurenceb said:

Airfix not Kitmaster

11 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

As I said - "Drewry ...... (Airfix originally, not Kitmaster..."

My saying "not Kitmaster" means it wasn't Kitmaster, I'd have thought.

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Where's this going, and why?

Reminds me of the Month Python argument sketch.

Mike

I don't know where or why, but I think it is the full half hour.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Question:  were the diagram 277 Prestwins ever used on the Oakamoor sand trains?

Cheers

Darius

Fairly certain they did, but I can't find my copy of 'The Churnet Valley Railway' at present. (Just checked; the photo in the book I referred to shows only 13t and 27t tipplers, 16t minerals and 25t hoppers. I have seen a photo with Prestwins, alongside Covhops, taken in the mid-1970s.)

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I don't know where or why, but I think it is the full half hour.

It took me less than 5 minutes to read those posts, so perhaps you're all arguing in your spare time!

• Funny 5

Meanwhile, back with the Prestwins... here are my 4 at the head of an Up Millerhill-Kingmoor freight descending the 1 in 75 towards Newton Duns.  There are 2 Dapol and 2 original Airfix, one of which was rescued in damaged condition and rebuilt with spare parts supplied by Dapol.  I've got some MSE brass signal ladder to replace the plastic ones - another "lockdown" job I've not quite got round to....

Prestwins (and Presflos - I've got 2 to build) seemed to feature in Waverley Route feights in the 1960s but, despite asking the question on a couple of fora, I haven't so far elicited definitive info on what traffic they carried and where.  One suggestion was sand for glass-bottle-making to Alloa for the beer industry there.  Anyone got any other info ?

Alasdair

Prestwins.JPG

• Like 9