Autofrog problems

NINJA

Has anyone encountered this problem, I have laid my track, peco with elecrofrog points, I have installed gaugemaster Bpdcc80 autofrogs, running my Bachmann diesels no problem at all but since I tried running a Bachmann 45xx 32-125 and also a Bachmann ivatt 2-6-2t the autofrog 9 times out of 10 does not change the polarity.

I connected a circuit tester to the track at the electro frog and you can see the latter part of the point energise when the diesel is there but not the 45xx.

It is very frustrating.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, NINJA said:

Presently just analogue

So the track voltage is typically lower. Gaugemaster advertise this as a DCC item - why would you expect it to work on DC? I have about 20 of them and they work fine. 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NINJA said:

Why would it differentiate whether analogue or DCC when it is just changing polarity?

Which simply indicates you know nothing of DCC. That is not a crime. DCC applies a continuous voltage across the rails, unlike DC, where the voltage fluctuates according to the position of the controller. The DCC80, and other similar devices, is designed to expect a specified conflicting voltage when the first wheel touches the wrongly-polarised frog, so if your DC controller is set at anything below max, it may not be enough to trigger the circuit and the relay.  Locos with lots of wheels may help overcome this. 

• Like 1

Strangely enough I have used auto frogs for a long time always on analogue, the previous layout was American, using the usual, Athearn, Kato, Bachmann mix etc.

I built this new layout and until today operated it modern image with the usual Hornby, Heljan, Bachmann mix of diesels.

Until today, I decided to get out some locos which had been stored for a long while, starting with the Bachmann, 45xx and ivatt 2-6-2T and this is where the problem came to light.

Looks like I shall have readdress the thinking on points, i do not like just relying g a the blade contact for power, suppose i will have to look at mechanical switching of the polarity.

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, NINJA said:

Strangely enough I have used auto frogs for a long time always on analogue, the previous layout was American, using the usual, Athearn, Kato, Bachmann mix etc.

I built this new layout and until today operated it modern image with the usual Hornby, Heljan, Bachmann mix of diesels.

Until today, I decided to get out some locos which had been stored for a long while, starting with the Bachmann, 45xx and ivatt 2-6-2T and this is where the problem came to light.

Looks like I shall have readdress the thinking on points, i do not like just relying g a the blade contact for power, suppose i will have to look at mechanical switching of the polarity.

Are you using point motors? In which case a suitable alternative would be the GM500 relay wired together with the point motor.  See Gaugemaster GM500

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NINJA said:

Thanks for that RFS.

I guess ignorance has been bliss until I tried the 45XX.

On question, can the GM500 be used to switch the polarity on its own without the point motor?

If you're not using point motors then all you need is a simple SPDT switch to change frog polarity. This could be a miniature one that can sometimes be placed such that it is changed by the movement of the tiebar.