Manchester show 2020..is it cancelled yet?

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

No news from Manchester  Club about this years'show. My son is a lecturer at Manchester University. He has been told there will be no access to his office until at least Jan 2021. 

Anyone from MMRS want to say what is happening?

Baz

Edited by Barry O

So far as my source tells me, my Father in Law who is a member, the show is not happening. 

If Manchester University is doing what a lot of Universities are doing, they will be pretty much shut..

Edited by iak

Without meaning to pre-empt the oranisers of the show here, I would not expect it to go ahead. Its likely that even if all organisational hurdles could be overcome, there would simply be no way that enough people could come into the exhibition to make the expenditure of holding it worthwhile. I'd also imagine that the reimposing of COVID restrictions on large areas of Greater Manchester would mean that its highly unlikely.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

As I said, the manchester University buildings are not expected to reopen to anyone until at least January next yeat. So why the idea of waiting until September??

Curious about a non announcement. 

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

On 09/08/2020 at 00:54, Barry O said:

As I said, the manchester University buildings are not expected to reopen to anyone until at least January next yeat. So why the idea of waiting until September??

Baz

My son is at Manchester University and has been told he will not be returning to University buildings for lectures until September 2021.

On 09/08/2020 at 00:54, Barry O said:

Baz

I guess we'll find out on September 8th.

No point speculating until then.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Barry O said:

if it is off why wait till 8th September unless the MMRS has some alternative location...

Baz

Probably because that's when they're expecting 'official word' from the Uni, so they can cancel without any issues (penalties or whatever).

John P

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

if it is off why wait till 8th September unless the MMRS has some alternative location...

Baz

Maybe you could contact the MMRS and ask what the situation is? The link to the MMRS web page I posted earlier contains an opportunity to sign-up to get updates on the show and there are email addresses listed on the website too. 

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jpendle said:

Probably because that's when they're expecting 'official word' from the Uni, so they can cancel without any issues (penalties or whatever).

John P

Well if the buildings are closed for staff and students it would not cause any penalties to be incurred.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 2mm Andy said:

Maybe you could contact the MMRS and ask what the situation is? The link to the MMRS web page I posted earlier contains an opportunity to sign-up to get updates on the show and there are email addresses listed on the website too. 

Andy

I was going to visit my son and go onto the show..even if it is on now the strange way of keeping everyone on tenterhooks means I won't be going..

Baz

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

I was going to visit my son and go onto the show..even if it is on now the strange way of keeping everyone on tenterhooks means I won't be going..

Baz

It only seems to be you that is on tenterhooks - the rest of us simply have to wait and see.

Why keep pushing?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

It only seems to be you that is on tenterhooks - the rest of us simply have to wait and see.

Why keep pushing?

I have a lot going on at that time of year- I am trying to plan visits to relatives etc pre Christmass if I can.

Baz

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

I have a lot going on at that time of year- I am trying to plan visits to relatives etc pre Christmass if I can.

Baz

So what? You’ve said you’re not going anyway.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PMP said:

So what? You’ve said you’re not going anyway.

I had planned to go as part of a visit to see my son... it would have been my first opportunity of visiting the show for a few years..but with this delay in announcements I will probably not be able to attend.. her indoors books my weekends running up to Christmas with family activity. I could still go but it now depends on other diary dates.

Baz

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Barry O said:

if it is on now the strange way of keeping everyone on tenterhooks means I won't be going..

Baz

Eh? You said you weren’t going because of the strange way of keeping everyone on tenterhooks. If you’ve changed your mind since that’s been pointed out to you and it’s in fact your wife who’s demanding you decide now, what you’re doing on Saturday 12th December in excess of 25% of the year in advance of the day, try explaining to her there’s a pandemic going on. Google COVID-19 if you need any starter.

It might help if you advise her the decision on the show will be announced on the 8th September, thus allowing the organiser to cover any cancellation contractual requirements specified within any agreements they may have. 

In the meantime could you please go and do some modelling? Far too much negativity.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

With upwards of 6 visits to sort from mid november onwards my weekends are full. As I have said, I would like to combine a trip to see our eldest son in Didsbury with a trip to the show. By 8th September it will be too late to arrange to do both as he also has a life to lead.

I have  completed lots of modelling during the pandemic..I am being "negative" as it would appear that , unlike other shows this year, MMRS can't make their mind up..as I said previously.. due tothe fact that Manchester University has closed all of its buildings until January 2021 (my eldest is a Lecturer there) I wondered if MMRS have found an alternative venue...its been a while since I have visited a show..3specially the Manchester Show.

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I have  completed lots of modelling during the pandemic..I am being "negative" as it would appear that , unlike other shows this year, MMRS can't make their mind up.

Baz

There’s no evidence of that whatsoever is there?

MMRS have clearly stated the decision will be announced on the 8th September. That leaves you 95 days to rearrange your diary. 

I wouldn’t worry about having to arrange firm meetings and family stuff for the six weeks prior to the show, that really is a waste of time and effort. Let’s face it there’s no guarantee you’ll be allowed to actually leave your own property with local lockdowns, let alone go to one of the best model railway exhibitions in the country.

As I say try focussing on doing some modelling rather than looking at the negative side of life

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

An announcement will be made on September 8th end of. If that doesn't meet your personal criteria, then sorry, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. For their own reasons, the MMRS organising team and committee has chosen to do it this way. In the meantime all of this pontificating is not helping anyone at all.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Just to throw into the mix, at the moment you are not lawfully allowed to visit friends and family in Greater Manchester, we are in lockdown.

You can visit the Arndale, you would likely also be allowed to visit a model railway exhibition and use public transport all wearing masks - but you cannot go to your son's home in Didsbury nor sit in his garden if he has one.

I'd be more concerned about that and the impact on your plans than about what plans the MMRS have for a show in December.

There's a good chance that with Schools due back soon and local government concerned about the capabilities of track and trace that we may still be locked down for some time yet.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Just to throw into the mix, at the moment you are not lawfully allowed to visit friends and family in Greater Manchester, we are in lockdown.

To put some balance on it though there’s probably a bloke in Manchester frantically hammering his keyboard complaining  that they haven’t got a date for the end of lockdown, because he wants to visit family in October in Leeds, and not attend a cancelled model railway exhibition that he wasn’t going to anyway.

Edited by PMP
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PMP said:

There’s no evidence of that whatsoever is there?

MMRS have clearly stated the decision will be announced on the 8th September. That leaves you 95 days to rearrange your diary. 

I wouldn’t worry about having to arrange firm meetings and family stuff for the six weeks prior to the show, that really is a waste of time and effort. Let’s face it there’s no guarantee you’ll be allowed to actually leave your own property with local lockdowns, let alone go to one of the best model railway exhibitions in the country.

As I say try focussing on doing some modelling rather than looking at the negative side of life

Try looking in my bodging thread link below, pretty my weathering thread link below or my layout thread link below...or are just trying to wind some one else up???

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I work in a supermarket and through all the frustration, frayed tempers and angry customers, all I can say is, we are now, looking at the possibility of having the festive season during December 2020, being muted, along the lines of  Easter and Mother's day, where people, will not be being encouraged to travel around visiting family and relatives.

The virus is likely to become more aggressive during the winter months, when people are already suffering from colds and flu, which could escalate into being a huge burden in hospitals and on the NHS.

The vaccine has to be tested, which will take some time, so it looks likely that we will be well into 2021 before we can get our lives back on track. Local lockdowns in various areas of the UK, may well be a feature of  the coming months ! 

There are different strains of the virus and no one knows if people who have had it, can get it again, or how long the immunity (from getting it again) might last when they have had it and made a recovery.

I've never washed my hands, or had so many showers in my life as I am at present. I don't think life will be back to normal for ages. Certainly we will be lucky if any hobby shows and toy fairs, etc will be up and running before spring next year at the earliest. I Just hope everyone here will be ok and stay safe in the meantime. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1