Manchester show 2020..is it cancelled yet?

Barry O

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, plarailfan said:

I work in a supermarket and through all the frustration, frayed tempers and angry customers, all I can say is, we are now, looking at the possibility of having the festive season during December 2020, being muted, along the lines of  Easter and Mother's day, where people, will not be being encouraged to travel around visiting family and relatives.

The virus is likely to become more aggressive during the winter months, when people are already suffering from colds and flu, which could escalate into being a huge burden in hospitals and on the NHS.

The vaccine has to be tested, which will take some time, so it looks likely that we will be well into 2021 before we can get our lives back on track. Local lockdowns in various areas of the UK, may well be a feature of  the coming months ! 

There are different strains of the virus and no one knows if people who have had it, can get it again, or how long the immunity (from getting it again) might last when they have had it and made a recovery.

I've never washed my hands, or had so many showers in my life as I am at present. I don't think life will be back to normal for ages. Certainly we will be lucky if any hobby shows and toy fairs, etc will be up and running before spring next year at the earliest. I Just hope everyone here will be ok and stay safe in the meantime. 

Perhaps it will give us an opportunity to think about what Christmas is all about.

• Agree 1

But the council have not yet cancelled the Christmas markets for 2020 - interesting how they will manage pockets of single family groups in the drink/food scrummages that is the main feature of these events.

The whole ethos of the markets is to get as many people into Albert Square as possible at the same time whilst holding an alcoholic drink in one hand, a giant sausage in the other and not to mention the umbrella to keep the rain off.

We cannot visit our dear old family members but we can spend spend spend in the shops and bars so I think they either really want the markets or don't want to pay the cancellation fees as it's getting quite late now in the year when you need to start employing people for it.

In the customer cafe at my workplace, you have to write down your name and 'phone number when ordering food, so if someone subsequently falls ill with the virus, other customers who visited the cafe on that day, can be notified  (track and trace method)

Perhaps the Christmas market may  be considered to be an an essential part of life, as it provides food and drink and being an outdoor event, perhaps they won't need to be involved with the track and trace system ?

I should imagine the Christmas market organisers, will ask the visitors, to keep to social distancing guidelines, using markings on the ground and a one way system could / would / should ? be in operation.

I bet scientists and the government are having many an interesting conversation these days about what they would like to do and what options they have to keep us all safe in the long term !

On 14/08/2020 at 16:39, plarailfan said:

The virus is likely to become more aggressive during the winter months, when people are already suffering from colds and flu, which could escalate into being a huge burden in hospitals and on the NHS.

The vaccine has to be tested, which will take some time, so it looks likely that we will be well into 2021 before we can get our lives back on track. Local lockdowns in various areas of the UK, may well be a feature of  the coming months ! 

There is no vaccine!

I've said this several times before, but it is ridiculous to rely on something which does not exist & needs to pass many tests.

We need to consider alternatives.

A vaccine is only an alternative once it becomes available. Until then, we may as well forget about it & arrange our lives around what we have available.

If this means the Manchester show is cancelled, then we will just have to accept it.

• RMweb Gold

What purpose does this thread serve?

Whether or not we - individually and collectively - think it likely to happen, MMRS have been very clear with us about when they will make an announcement by. That’s to be applauded in these times of uncertainty and doubt: at least they have rigidly defined it.

Are Majikthise and Vroomfondel members of this august body? Is knowing that anybody’s business?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Regularity said:

What purpose does this thread serve?

Whether or not we - individually and collectively - think it likely to happen, MMRS have been very clear with us about when they will make an announcement by. That’s to be applauded in these times of uncertainty and doubt: at least they have rigidly defined it.

Are Majikthise and Vroomfondel members of this august body? Is knowing that anybody’s business?

So there!

• 3 weeks later...