Air Ministry Tank Wagons in 4mm

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Just a query,

Does anyone offer the Air Ministry Tank wagon in 4mm, I think that someone offered them in 7mm.

If not, which of the available 4mm tank wagons would be most suitable for bulk fuel transport throughout the early 50s

Thank you

There is a two-part article discussing the Air Ministry wagons in detail in Modeller's Backtrack (therefore ancient, but sometimes available secondhand).

From memory, the Air Ministry wagons were class-A rated, based on the RCH 1927 specification, with some updates. IIRC, this means:

• largest tank size allowed on 9' wheelbase suitable for petrol, IIUC 14 tons load;
  • angled end-stanchions rather than vertical;
  • no bottom outlet (not allowed for class-A oils because fire risk if leakage);
  • catwalks around the top hatch (first introduced about the time of the Air Ministry fleet);
  • handbrake only (vacuum brakes not required and wagons anyway limited in speed for safety); probably Morton brakes, since there was no bottom outlet to get in the way;
  • either welded or riveted tanks, and the Ministry had some of each.

The anchoring of the tank to the underframe is also relevant, for fidelity, but I can't remember if the Ministry wagons had wing plates or saddles, or a mix of both over different batches. Photographs needed!

The livery mix is interesting, bearing in mind that wagons built in the 1940s might not quite have got to their first repaint in the early 1950s. The very early wagons, which came out just before WW2, were in the class-A buff livery, with red bands on the tank sides and the end cross-bars. Then the livery was changed to silver tanks and red solebars. Then somebody realised that the Luftwaffe would really appreciate the shiny, high-vis targets, so the tank colour was changed to dull grey, I think keeping the red solebars.

I've no idea what wagons are available from the trade. If I were assessing RTR for suitability, I'd prioritise the tank-anchoring and end-stanchion details, as they would be more noticeable if wrong than the tank size or the underframe details. Walkways on top could easily be added if missing and bottom outlets removed if present (one could convert  a model of a class-B wagon to a class-A wagon if need be) and I'd expect to repaint and re-letter to get the correct livery.

• Informative/Useful 1

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,
In lieu of an Air Ministry 14t tank wagon, this example from Bachmann must suffice.

BE2804DC-1F9B-41A8-981A-F5A7726134AC.jpeg.023da96a06659d9d09c8ea401e08909a.jpeg

Many thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Cheers and Stay Safe

9 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,
In lieu of an Air Ministry 14t tank wagon, this example from Bachmann must suffice.

BE2804DC-1F9B-41A8-981A-F5A7726134AC.jpeg.023da96a06659d9d09c8ea401e08909a.jpeg

Many thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Unfortunately a class B tank. For light fuel a Class A tank is required, as already discussed. 

Paul

• Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson
1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

Unfortunately a class B tank. For light fuel a Class A tank is required, as already discussed. 

Paul

Maybe, I should have not used the term Air Ministry tank but as one of the more common terms, it was used, my mistake.

However that is even better news as the theme of the new layout Is maritime and ‘heavy fuel’ FFO would have been in common use. Although DERV and maritime diesel seem to be also carried in Class B tanks, which is also good news.

Btw I am aware of the Rumney Models underframe kit, I am merely giving it a good ignoring.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson

Ok it is in the title and Guy Rixon gave more details and the reference you required. 

The ESSO tank is a reasonable representation of the type introduced from just before Nationalisation and is suitable for heavy fuel oils - which is what marine fuel oils would be included in. SMBP had the largest oil tank fleet post war. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/pounbraked

Paul 

• Informative/Useful 2