7mm Royal Scot - British Legion

Guest Isambarduk

Guest Isambarduk

Back in April, I completed the building of my Royal Scot, British Legion, which I built from a David Andrews kit; I haven't written it up here because there's nothing noteworthy about the build, although I did make make some mods and I scratch-built a few extras. After a few weeks, I summoned up the energy to dismantle the body to paint and line it. Previously, I would have dismantled the whole model (and I did once dismantle, paint and line a Black Five and a Jubilee at the same time) but that seemed a bit overwhelming this time.

I made a number of small items ,such as the live and the exhaust steam injectors, and I machined up some better looking safety valves, smokebox dart/handles and inside cylinder cover.

image.png.6749ee1fa4cec1bd78d79c9208a7344d.png

Scratch-built Davies & Metcalfe exhaust steam injector (this one is actually fitted to my 8F, but I made several at the same time)

image.png.66bac4a83ffafc35d1dd11c78f045039.png

In place, again, this is actually on my 8F but it's the same arrangement on British Legion

As I have mentioned before, I choose to build my models in many subassemblies that I can screw, or pin and glue, together after I have completed the paintng and lining (below).

DSCN0849_s.jpg.1cd9e0833daa27555675e37bdb51a842.jpg

Smokebox, boiler, firebox and cab as separate assemblies

I completed the reassembly of the body yesterday and placed it on the frames just to see the general idea.  The tender is a heavily reworked RTR model from Finescale Brass.

DSCN0853_s.jpg.b80dd9419c4c91d48f9e67eca46e76e6.jpg

I have since dismantled the frames to make a start on the painting, which should be a doddle compared to the loco body and tender, so it should not take long.

DSCN0857_s.jpg.fca459c177bb616ec76c6f5018c4a35d.jpg

David

Edited by Isambarduk

David,

Please define what you mean by "nothing noteworthy". Your use of the phrase does not seem to correlate to my understanding. :)

There is an awful lot on this model that warrants closer inspection and description!  

Ian.

Edited by Ian Major
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Guest Isambarduk
4 hours ago, Ian Major said:

There is an awful lot on this model that warrants closer inspection and description!  

Thank you, Ian; I feel rather flattered!

I said there was nothing particularly noteworthy about the buiid in that it all seemed conventional for me, but I am more than happy to give a more detailed description and to take some more photos, if you would just give me a hint at what "warrants closer inspection and description! "

In the meantime, here are three more images that I took before I stripped it down for painting and lining.

DSCN0771_s.jpg.70176a19d2c2bf1e85d03711088f06df.jpg

DSCN0772-s.jpg.605d3a2c4b29826b8e2b5adbaab72bff.jpg

DSCN0777_s.jpg.58228b32507946b16420b42f4d5bd7ee.jpg

On the reworked tender, I described in some detail 'one I made earlier' when I completely reworked a Finescale Brass 8F,

image.png.9c794baf9838fb95a8c20ac47ff89752.png

I reworked a second one for my Black Five and also further one for a future loco, so I've quite got the hang of it now. :smile_mini2:

David

David,

Thanks for that.

At great risk of sounding like a giggly groupy I am a great fan of your work (join the crowd). 

I like to think of myself as a reasonably good modeler. My philosophy, which I teach to my children and grand children, is that the more you know, the more that you realize you don't know. so it is important to carry on learning. Oh dear - now I'm sounding pompous.

So, in answer to your question "what warrants closer inspection and description! " I would go so far to say "anything" - but that is way too open. Therefore lets try that exhaust steam injector as an example.  I can see how you do much of it but for some parts I wonder about how you hold it together to solder it. Now I have a series of videos by a well know editor which included how to solder metal kits. His method was to hold it all together with his fingers. You could see the liquid in his flesh bubbling whilst the iron was doing its thing. Very macho but very stupid in my view. I am sure you don't do that - so I'm all eyes to learn the right way (but little brain to work it out for myself.):)

Ian. 

Guest Isambarduk
18 hours ago, Ian Major said:

the more you know, the more that you realize you don't know.

Oh so true!  As I'm passed state pension age, I now know not very much - far less than when I was younger :)

18 hours ago, Ian Major said:

I wonder about how you hold it together to solder it.

That's a good point, Ian; over the years, I have developed slightly asbestos fingers, but not intentionally. 

No, with complex fabrications, such as the D&M exhaust steam injector, I machine up all the parts so that most are a good press fit or they are pinned in place, again with a good press fit, before I apply the soldering iron.  Additionally, I may use an RSU that allows the probe to hold a part in place whilst the heat is applied.

image.png.51cb69aafcd897fc37ce0e82ac732cb4.png

Live steam injector and vacuum moisture trap on a Black Five (left)

D&M exhaust steam injector on a Jubilee (right)

Additional fabrications for later use (front). One set was used on British Legion

image.png.46db23a7788184558a6c0dfb27a88d89.png

The exhaust steam injector on the fireman's side of the Jubilee

Anything else that you'd like me to expand upon?

David

Edited by Isambarduk

David,

Thanks again. You are really tempting fate asking me about anything else to expand upon. If I answered that you would spend all your time answering questions and never do any more modelling! :)

I too have developed, to a degree, asbestos fingers though when introducing my grandchildren to the delights of modelling I try to avoid teaching them my bad habits - they will, in time, develop their own.

Ian.  

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Isambarduk

I have now painted the frames, replaced the body and reunited the loco with its tender.

image.png.57803c6d927a21aabd18c944df583794.png

As I said, there was nothing noteworthy about the build but, on my webpage about British Legion, there is some detail in captioned pictures that includes some of the additions and mods. For example, here is one of my scratch-built Davies & Metcalfe exhaust steam injectors on the fireman's side:

image.png.079bdd687f1f9ad9ff74f62abb5709d9.png

the slightly modified bogie:

image.png.9be28fc9b8b761aba8fc4cd6252f27e7.png

and the cylinder assembly:

image.png.61220461a63c1592fd8d791f3e9478d9.png

David