Wire (we) brushing (our) wheels

• RMweb Premium

Having recently purchased one of those wire brush wheel cleaners

(the ones you place on the track then rest the wheels on the brushes)

for some reason I was reminded of the discussions that have gone on in the past about track rubbers putting minute grooves in the track and attracting more dirt.

Do these wire brush cleaners have a similar effect on loco wheels?

I've used one for several years and not noticed a problem. I believe this is because the wire in them is softer than the wheel tread. Whereas the track rubbers available are made of abrasive material in plastic or rubber. What I use on track is a special rubber made for polishing plated gold contacts on printed circuit boards. As for that, I left the industry more than 12 years ago and cannot remember the name of the product, or the supplier. For that, maybe try Farnell.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JZ said:

What I use on track is a special rubber made for polishing plated gold contacts on printed circuit boards. As for that, I left the industry more than 12 years ago and cannot remember the name of the product, or the supplier.

That sounds like Garryflex - or at least that's what we're using for polishing up our PCBs!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just checked these out, never heard of them before. They are still abrasive, but the ‘fine’ grade one probably does less damage to railheads than the Peco rubber.  I use a fibre pen for wheels, and am currently assessing carbon pencil coating for the railheads, which seems effective in facilitating pick up.  

On 08/08/2020 at 19:17, JZ said:

I've used one for several years and not noticed a problem. I believe this is because the wire in them is softer than the wheel tread. Whereas the track rubbers available are made of abrasive material in plastic or rubber. What I use on track is a special rubber made for polishing plated gold contacts on printed circuit boards. As for that, I left the industry more than 12 years ago and cannot remember the name of the product, or the supplier. For that, maybe try Farnell.

The best tip I've seen for keeping track clean (although probably not for tidying up really dirty track) is using a wine cork! Abrasive enough to the dirt (I guess by being a bit "grippy") but not at all to the rail surface. The side of a small block of softwood like cheap DIY store pine strip also does the trick on dirtier track. 

I've never noticed any problems from a Trix/Minitrix (also sold as Gaugemaster) wire wheel cleaning block - as JZ says loco wheels are usually a harder metal than the nickel silver of rails, so the soft brass is abraded more than the (nickel or chrome plated?) wheels. I wouldn't overdo it though. 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, justin1985 said:

As JZ says loco wheels are usually a harder metal than the nickel silver of rails, so the soft brass is abraded more than the (nickel or chrome plated?) wheels. I wouldn't overdo it though. 

Some interesting replies but this one answers my original question:

I hadn't realised there was that much difference in hardness

between track and wheels.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, rab said:

Some interesting replies but this one answers my original question:

I hadn't realised there was that much difference in hardness

between track and wheels.

I believe rails are rolled? And therefore work hardened. Tyres are turned which if done correctly is much more gentle on the material. Newer Markits tyres are turned from stainless steel. Previously it was nickel silver. Gibson tyres are steel. I don't know about RTR wheels.

Edited by Bucoops

• RMweb Premium
On 11/08/2020 at 21:16, Bucoops said:

I don't know about RTR wheels.

The new Hornby sliding door Mk3 wheels are cast from something (and not turned).

Blimmin' horrible things with pizza cutter flanges comparable to 1980's Lima offerings.

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Having now received the wheelcleaner which started this discussion, I've noticed that the wire brushes themselves are quite dirty.

does this affect rheir cleaning ability?

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, rab said:

Having now received the wheelcleaner which started this discussion, I've noticed that the wire brushes themselves are quite dirty.

does this affect rheir cleaning ability?

It doesn’t Rab... it’s only the very ends of the brass brush wires that come in to contact and they get polished with use. 

Used one for years, easiest way to clean Powered wheels for sure. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1