Trackplan for ECoS

Kallaroonian

Not that I'm aware of. It's a simple but complex process as each turnout needs to be set up with DCC address etc and then loaded into a blank square on the track plan page. The fact that the turnout and accessory symbols are all interactive would probably preclude uploading.

Edited by gordon s

I find that the process is somewhat easier and quicker if you have a laptop hooked up to the ECoS.

It is a lot easier using a mouse for cursor control and the keyboard for naming your points (and even loco), than the touch screen of the ECoS.

Simply my personal preference.

I also have monitors at ceiling level which can display a duplicate ECoS screen (or indeed TV / Blu-ray / Laptop) as I so wish.

That way I can clearly see route settings and even change from my iPhone or a tablet.

Works a treat!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I hadn't thought of that - so what you are saying is that it can't be done online but you can extend the ECoS screen onto a PC monitor and edit with kb and mouse?

I've had the ECoS for a while but barely used it since the layout isnt built...  So a total novice with it really

How do you extend its screen etc to a PC?

thks

• RMweb Gold

You can use vnc to connect to the ECoS from a laptop or computer to remote control it. 

If wouldn't be that difficult to create an editor if the app to the ECoS was open source, but sadly it isn't.

Edited by pheaton

• RMweb Gold

Sure :)

The ECoS has a VNC server built into its operating system, if you are able to network your ECoS to your PC, you can use VNC viewer (free download) to connect to your ECoS by simply typing in its IP address, you can then remote control your ECoS using a mouse and keyboard and the display on your PC.

Network your ECoS 

Download VNC

Run VNC

Type the IP address of the ECoS into the connection window

And that's it :)

If you network your ECoS you will also be able to upload custom icons for your locomotives as well :) Via the ECoS built in webpage.

But it also means you get access to firmware which in the past (assuming your ECoS is new) has bought upgrades bug fixes and new features completely free.

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/loco-pictures/

you will need to register your ECoS with ESU though :) and create a login for the site though.

Edited by pheaton

I'm glad I looked in on this thread - I've learnt something new and useful regarding hooking the ECoS up to and external device. Like @Kallaroonian I've not used my ECoS as there is no layout, just been used for addressing chips and running-in locos.

Cheers,

Philip

• 1 month later...

Hi. Here's an additional question. 

I can figure this out through experiment - maybe - but in case there are any pitfalls and to set my expectations in the first place :

The scenario is PC A on the network in a nice convenient study area and then a second PC, PC B, in the loft space co-located with the layout and connected to a) the same network (THE network) as PC A via wifi  b) the ECoS cabled via a simple ethernet switch

Could I use PC A to reach through PC B to the ECoS and thus install vnc on PC A and complete the layout build work from the comfort of the study chair?

thanks

First, your ECoS must be running firmware 4.0.0 or higher as the VNC server was only added with firmware 4.0.0.

Second, you need to install a VNC Client on your chosen computer or tablet. There are various free VNC Clients out there such as Real VNC which I use, Tight VNC which many ECoS owners use, and Tiny VNC to name but 3, there are others. You need to get the right version of the VNC Client for your computer or tablet's operating system, e.g. Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, etc.

Third, you need to connect your ECoS to your computer or tablet. You can either do that with a direct computer to ECoS ethernet cable, depending on your computer or tablet  you might or might not need a crossover ethernet cable. Or you could connect your ECoS to your home hub/router. You also connect your computer to the router as well. If both your router and computer or tablet has WiFi you can use that .

You run the VNC Client on your computer or tablet and will have to give it your ECoS's IP address, and you should then see your ECoS's screen on your computer or tablet. This isn't an extra throttle, but full remote control of your ECoS as if you were sitting in front of it. Whatever you do on your computer you will see appear on the ECoS's own screen and vice versa. So be careful if you select a loco on your computer and start it running because if your ECoS is connected to your layout and the track power is on then the loco will run.

Hi. 

I get the concept of all that. I think I have a more general networking question really.

I have a main wifi router and PC A is connected to that with a cable. It has an IP address obviously. And I'll have PC B located elsewhere with the layout and the ECoS and connected to the same network via wifi

But PC B will also be connected to the ECoS via a standalone ethernet switch. Does the ECoS therefore have an IP address on the house network (and provided by the wifi router) meaning I should be able to see it from PC A that is not co-located with the ECoS and which is NOT the PC connected via cable to the ECoS?

thks

• RMweb Gold

If I have understood correctly, your ECoS will NOT have an IP address by the router as it is not connected directly to it, as your ethernet switch that you are connecting it to is in essence another layer of the network, you will therefore need to specify an IP address on your ECoS in the same range as your home network (if its assigned statically) or the same range as your DHCP server provided by your wireless router. 

Out of the box you will not be able to see it from PC A.

Hope ive explained it ...or even understood it....ill try and come up with a diagram

It's like this.

Since the DHCP is in the router and the ECoS is one step removed behind PC B then I'd need to manually assign a static IP as I understand it. And then I should be able to see it from PC A provided PC B is switched on.

Or is that in fact not true ??

The only other alternative is to use something like this : https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/

I have one already for something else and it works well - it basically fakes  a cabled connection when in client mode

image.png.805e43be526de0371f1930bea20ca62b.png

54 minutes ago, Kallaroonian said:

It's like this.

Since the DHCP is in the router and the ECoS is one step removed behind PC B then I'd need to manually assign a static IP as I understand it. And then I should be able to see it from PC A provided PC B is switched on.

Or is that in fact not true ??

The only other alternative is to use something like this : https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/

I have one already for something else and it works well - it basically fakes  a cabled connection when in client mode

image.png.805e43be526de0371f1930bea20ca62b.png

Traffic from PC-A will only reach the ECoS *if* PC-B is bridging traffic through its WiFi to Ethernet connection.  That isn't a given, I think you'll need to do something to the PC to make it happen.  Should be possible, depends on Operating System on PC-B, and amount of computer faffing willing to undertake. 

Yes, the WiFi unit you suggest is a solution, when correctly configured.   Or a pair of ethernet-over-mains plugs to link router to loft would be simple (assuming both parts of house on same phase of electricity supply).  

- Nigel

I'll consider the acceptable coefficient of faffing

I think quite likely to go down the wi-fi extender box route instead. Those routers are only about $40 and one of the other things I want to be able to do is use a tablet as a mobile controller using vnc and/or engine driver. It would be better to not have to turn the PC on to be able to achieve that

• RMweb Gold

Its possible........only possible that if PC B has contacted the ECoS (for example pinged or contacted its webpage)....then PC A MAY...MAY be able to contact the ECoS  using PC Bs now updated ARP table, however in essence Nigel is correct, PC B will need to have network connection bridging to enabled for it to work, as the PC out of the box is not a router.

BTW you dont need a switch between PC B and the ECoS you should be able to use a CAT 5 or CAT 6 crossover cable.

You can also get a mini wireless access point specifically for the ECoS which is available from southwest digital.

6 hours ago, Kallaroonian said:

I'll consider the acceptable coefficient of faffing

I think quite likely to go down the wi-fi extender box route instead. Those routers are only about $40 and one of the other things I want to be able to do is use a tablet as a mobile controller using vnc and/or engine driver. It would be better to not have to turn the PC on to be able to achieve that

With a simple WiFi extender in the loft, that acts as a "client" to the WiFi "server" in the house.   So, any tablet will be WiFi to the house "server".  Probably not an issue if your WiFi coverage is adequate to reach the loft (which is implied as OK for the PC in the loft).  

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

If PC-A and PC-B are on the same network why not just remote into PC-B from PC-A? That's how I work most of the time - the ECoS is connected to the garage PC, but I just use the native RDP client on W10 to access PC-B from my laptop, so I can play from the comfort of the sofa.

The powerline adapters lead to massive drop off in speeds IME, I stopped using them.

29 minutes ago, njee20 said:

The powerline adapters lead to massive drop off in speeds IME, I stopped using them.

Depends what you mean by "massive" and how big an impact it really is, and perhaps how they are configured. 

I have a pair of nominally 1.3Gb powerline plugs to connect two far ends of the house, with a WiFi (different channel/frequency to main router) and wired connection on the far end.  I've not tried to measure things, but the paper bottlenecks are the WiFi max speed or the broadband, not the powerline. 

In my house, the powerline means the difference between "limping along" in the corner office with frequent Wifi drop-outs if someone shuts a door downstairs, and "the same as in rooms near the master socket router".    

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

In my experience it was 170Mbps at the router, 30Mbps if using power line adapters connected via Ethernet at the non-router end, and 2Mpbs on Wi-fi, verified on multiple devices. So, pretty massive in my case, of course YMMV. 

Mesh network fixed it. At least 120 everywhere now!

OK well it all worked great using the tiny router in client mode.

I can see the ECoS using VNC viewer on the tablet so to an extent job done.

But engine driver? How do you set that up to connect to ECoS. It doesnt ask for IP address but server address and port. Instructions are sub-woeful

1 hour ago, Kallaroonian said:

But engine driver? How do you set that up to connect to ECoS. It doesnt ask for IP address but server address and port. Instructions are sub-woeful

The instructions for Engine Driver (assuming you mean the Android App) are on the website of the developer of it, Steve Todd. 

Engine Driver needs a WiThrottle server for Engine Driver to talk to a DCC system.  An ECoS doesn't have one of those.  The cheap (free?) option is to run JMRI on a computer (Windows, Mac, Linux) on the same network, JMRI configured to talk to the ECoS for throttle control, and then run the WiThrottle server within JMRI.    If needing a dedicated computer, then a Raspberry PI is the cheapest way to do it, and the installation of JMRI on a PI is simpler than any other options.  

- Nigel

7 hours ago, Kallaroonian said:

OK thanks

None of that was apparent from a quickish scan of the enginedriver app or website info

All do-able with an old PC ear-marked for the job (I hope....)

First line of website reads:  " This free application can connect to a JMRI WiThrottle server running on a computer, or to an MRC Prodigy WiFi, or to a Digitrax LnWi, and in turn control your locomotives and your entire model railroad.  "     There's also a link labelled "prerequisites" at the top of the page, with a bit more information.    The App page on the Google Play store also starts with similar statements.   

If you read more carefully it seems very clear.