Dover Ferry Sidings Inglenook Style

The Bigbee Line

I don't need another layout, but have trackwork and boards that can be laid out as an Inglenook type layout.  

A large part of my life was spent at Dover, starting with contact as a guard when based at Ashford, then as Supervisor, Inspector and Manager.  Shift work at Dover with the shunting and trainferry operation was a privilege, that you don't realise at the time.

The set of sidings in front of the transit shed were mainly used for wagons off the boat waiting customs clearance.  So when the boat was shunted, there was always a game to minimise shunting, local knowledge gave you a good idea what would clear quickly.  One of the 2 pilots would gather any clearances and traffic under bond to trip to Dover Town , bringing back the next lot of shipping.....

The Transit shed did examinatons, a speciality was a 'turnout and tally' where the whole wagon load was handballed onto the platform under the watchful eye of a Customs Officer, then reloaded back into the same wagon.  Hot work...

There were also examinations by MAFF officers, I've seen them halve a whole sack of Spanish Onions to check there was not stowaways inside..  Happy days.

Anyway a project of simplification and memories....

Do not expect rapid progress, this is for the long haul.

Here is the start of a plan....

1694658614_Ferryyardsidings012mapinglenook.jpg.a134a34307b255c1518d8c7f7494fec7.jpg

This is the view from above the linkspan...

850236939_Ferryyardsidings005transitshed.jpg.dc16146720ee222d846c555535e8ce14.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

The Transit Shed was also used to unload the odd UK vehicle,  An SPA in Railfreight paint site outside the shed having just unloaded the 2 fork trucks....  The platform when almost to a point with handrails on one side...

1852881061_ferry09460221.jpg.d3edbffe1cbc214a70daf9ec8f0405ff.jpg

Here is a load of Chivas Regal in the middle of a 'turnout and tally',,,

2110990288_ferry09turnout.jpg.3366399b74966668170dba72e9991510.jpg

Finally for tonight 09013 waiting for the boat.  In the background is the TOPS office...

983464312_ferry0909013ferryyard.jpg.85c8281815599f540ced6b093736d6a0.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

As others have said, and I look forward to it’s progress.

Will it be home based or a exhibition Layout ?

Happy Modelling & Stay Safe 

Terry 

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting to see and some great prototype photos. Building my own version in n gauge currently which I've set up a blog for here to follow progress called 'Seahaven'. Based on the admiralty pier / Nord-pas-de-Calais Service rather than the old Southern Railway Train Ferry Dock and imagined as still operating in competition / co-operation with the channel tunnel

Will be great to swap ideas and watch your progress

Edited by Paul Robertson