57xx's Painting and Decorating Workbench

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd start a separate thread for painting and weathering of stock.

First up is a Parkside kit of an LNER Lowfit. I've used this to show what I'm currently doing to simulate wood interiors. The whole body was undercoated in white. Usually I use grey but since seeing that Phoenix Precision paints were designed for white undercoats I've switched. The LNER oxide was applied to the outside. I should really have masked the planking but was in too much of a rush so there was red oxide overspray on the inside. I removed as much as I could with white spirit on a cotton bud. After that, the planking was given a coat of Revell 76 light grey.

large.Wood1.JPG.ca90a058f449041ecc105ce5dd3dce40.JPG

After that had dried, I then brush on  Humbrol 28,121 and 7, one plank at a time using a 000 brush, doing small bits at a time and not worried about keep it neat. The "messiness" comes into play later...

large.Wood2.JPG.f841439ce00f5dd693522e27079eae7e.JPG

After the previous steps, everything is all looking a bit garish still. So out comes the dark wash - heavily thinned black and 160 brown. this is first run into the plank grooves and then a thin wash overall. The wash settles in the nooks and crannys of the messy painting on the plank tops and gives an impression of grain.

large.Wood3.JPG.7582262e1f85ef1ac1acd075a5b94f86.JPG

Slightly different angle and lighting:

large.Wood4.JPG.2b325a0b1fb3744c026245cacede4391.JPG

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've finally finished off the Lowfit with weathering. It's taken a few days as each time I thought I was done, I decided to do a little more.

large.LNER_Lowfit1.JPG.e6c0746775ad094c02dd06b8b696d190.JPGlarge.LNER_Lowfit3.JPG.e530bb0566e6322cb3a7bf6b4fb38b64.JPG

Running gear was painted with Precision dirty black and then had successive washes of matt black and then H160 (German Camouflage Red Brown). This was also used neat on the wheels and brake looks, giving a nice dark rust colour. Bodywork was given a wash of a mix of matt black and H160 which was left to dry slightly and then gently cleaned off the body using a cotton bud moistened with white spirits using downward strokes.  Finally I broke out the airbrush and gave some very thinned wafts of H62 (matt Leather) and H83 (Ochre) to the underframe.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 4