IDing ?Milbro? Gauge 1 wagon

eldomtom2

A wagon used in the first series of Thomas the Tank Engine has recently come into the hands of an American collector, who is interested in knowing its provenance. They believe it to be a Milbro wagon with Tenmille parts, purchased as part of a job lot of second-hand Gauge 1 items before filming started. Pictures below:

mwagon1.jpg.71517b1d4a7e596b4ccbf6f8a421787b.jpg

mwagon2.jpg.2e398249f278d176d994290566fa4c30.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on the meaning of the markings on the bottom, or whether or not it is a Milbro product?

8 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

A wagon used in the first series of Thomas the Tank Engine has recently come into the hands of an American collector, who is interested in knowing its provenance. They believe it to be a Milbro wagon with Tenmille parts, purchased as part of a job lot of second-hand Gauge 1 items before filming started. Pictures below:

Can anyone shed any light on the meaning of the markings on the bottom, or whether or not it is a Milbro product?

9/12/24 - A build date?

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

Milbro Model Railways Home Page

www.milbromodelrailways.co.uk

The first is to provide an introduction to model railway products sold under the Milbro trademark by the UK Sheffield-based firm of Mills Bros., both before and ...

Milbro Locomotives

Early Milbro catalogues featured specific locomotives from the ...

Introduction to Milbro trains

Introduction to Milbro trains. ****The material in this section ...

Other Vintage Locos & Motors

CCW's other kits (in tinplate, brass or nickel silver) could be used to ...

Milbro material

Milbro material is covered in six separate sub-sections here ...

Miller Swan & Bernard Miller

Miller Swan & Bernard Miller. **** This material was updated ...

Other locos, coaches and motors

Other locos, motors and coaches. There are four sub-sections ...

More results from milbromodelrailways.co.uk »

Wonderfully patinated wagon!

In 0, an identifying feature, or at least a pointer, For Milbro  is the way the headstocks are shaped, and This doesn’t have that shape. But, it may well be made using lots of Milbro parts, and might even be theirs, although to me the big date across the bottom says “amateur enthusiast”.

Kevin

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Wonderfully patinated wagon!

In 0, an identifying feature, or at least a pointer, For Milbro  is the way the headstocks are shaped, and This doesn’t have that shape. But, it may well be made using lots of Milbro parts, and might even be theirs, although to me the big date across the bottom says “amateur enthusiast”.

Kevin

The headstocks are definitely Tenmille comparing them to the Tenmille kits used in the series. Everything else doesn't quite seem to match up.

Edited by eldomtom2

Hmmm ........ to me, the headstocks look old. I think I can see slots cut in them, patched over on the outside, where it probably originally had drop-link couplers (fitted where those witness marks are on the underside), with the slots allowing them room to swing.

The most niaive feature about it is the huge thickness of the floor planks and the way they are dealt with at the ends, probably resulting from a misunderstanding of a drawing showing the floor-rail in side elevation. That says "hobbyist" to me.