Tricky

12 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Tricky,

Nice development. I am following along ... is this aimed at being just a standalone wagon on in a display case then .. or the start of bigger plans!

Rich

Definitely stand alone on a display case. The Management would never allow Gauge One in the garden - and that’s the only space left for it! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Definitely stand alone on a display case. The Management would never allow Gauge One in the garden - and that’s the only space left for it! 

haha! I know what you mean. I have been considering a Gauge 1 Jubilee purchase recently, purely for display and decided against it in the end, but your progress with the wagon is very nice. Like O, I love the detail that can be included.

A combination of collecting Midland Record and your London/Bristol layouts has given me a hankering for pre-1923 Midland items! As they saying goes, it’s all your fault!

Following your progress with much interest! :good_mini:

Rich

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

A combination of collecting Midland Record and your London/Bristol layouts has given me a hankering for pre-1923 Midland items! 

It has to be said that the Midland has long been the pre-Grouping company with the best trade support, certainly in 4 mm scale, perhaps now even more so in 7 mm scale. Easy to get into, hard to escape from! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It has also been established by completely unbiased research that followers of the Best Way are the elite of modellers and railway enthusiasts and that membership of the Midland Railway Society confers a distinct elevation in social standing.

Dave

coincidentally chairman, MRS

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

confers a distinct elevation in social standing.

... so long as one is sufficiently thick-skinned to put up with ill-informed barracking from people who are obsessed with size and don't understand lubrication.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

It has also been established by completely unbiased research that followers of the Best Way are the elite of modellers and railway enthusiasts and that membership of the Midland Railway Society confers a distinct elevation in social standing.

Dave

coincidentally chairman, MRS

In that case my elevation has been increased and I've become an elitist this year!!  Apologies for the thread wander tricky ... now we need an update from the Trickey Wagon Works :P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

In that case my elevation has been increased and I've become an elitist this year!!  Apologies for the thread wander tricky ... now we need an update from the Trickey Wagon Works :P

Joining the elite, and being elitist, are not the same thing. The former is a recognition of achievement and becoming as good as the very best. The latter is as much about thinking that to be the case, but not actually getting there... (and looking down your nose at those who you deem not to have made it.) 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Regularity said:

Joining the elite, and being elitist, are not the same thing. The former is a recognition of achievement and becoming as good as the very best. The latter is as much about thinking that to be the case, but not actually getting there... (and looking down your nose at those who you deem not to have made it.) 

Oops! Sorry it was said very tongue in cheek!  I think most of us would agree that Tricky is definitely in the modelling elite, looking at his Midland in London/Bristol layouts and (to come back on topic) this wagon.  Without any doubt, I am not in the same category and don't pretend to ... so I'll settle for just having been elevated by joining the MRS :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Regularity said:

A bit off topic though...

• RMweb Gold

Going back to earlier concerns about the suitability or otherwise of vehicles for the estimable Tricky's wagon, looking at my Basingstoke and Alton book I can see in a photograph from a similar era what look to be quite  a lot of Thornycroft cab and chassis units loaded on to what can only be described as flat trucks, so maybe the "carriage truck concern" is a bit overdone as regards a load for this lovely model?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I hope that my post yesterday hasn't led to acrimony? It was just meant to be lighthearted and I'm sorry if it's backfired.

Dave

A superb example of exactly what elitism isn’t!

• 1 month later...

Modest progress on the double bolster today. Haven’t touched it for a while. As it’s for me I don’t get as much time these days but need to keep it ticking along. So I made the bolsters, chain hoops and upright supports. Loving the detail you can achieve in this scale. 
5809077D-2344-4373-A88E-C525FDBCC630.jpeg.aaea7657238d07050596ba83e0d9b273.jpegBBCFB901-93A5-444E-9063-30C0CD8310F0.jpeg.f36e5a01c3cc46804c32c09e5b8549a9.jpegBA0385F3-307C-41BE-BDC0-E85027A572C1.jpeg.b11dd558248388bc6414ca9f805d29e3.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Even more modest progress today! Thought I’d pick this up at the end of the day and make the coupling hook plates. I guess if I make modest progress every day, sooner or later it might get finished?! Even in Gauge 1 some things are still tiny. 089DF56E-E57A-4AD6-BCDA-65C1CE840F68.jpeg.d3812e705f039c60b342d9b7a321570e.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

By way of an update. I’ve been picking away at this inbetween other jobs. As you can see the basic body colour has been painted, as well as couplings and buffers added.

Here I’ve made a start on the brake rigging. Due to the extra long wheelbase, the tie rods are made to measure. 

5A974D8F-E263-420A-B1F0-DD79832A3E1A.jpeg.20378f8743ab540aa865ef68562fc3b5.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

In the interest of terminological exactitude, push rods. And lovely ones they are too. What happens where the bolts go through from front to back? Is there a spacer block? I've had a look at drawings of similar wagons but they are uninformative on this point.

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

In the interest of terminological exactitude, push rods. And lovely ones they are too. What happens where the bolts go through from front to back? Is there a spacer block? I've had a look at drawings of similar wagons but they are uninformative on this point.

I knew tie rods wasn’t right! I haven’t put a spacer block in; just 0.8mm wire. As you say, drawings and photos are vague. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Tricky said:

I knew tie rods wasn’t right! I haven’t put a spacer block in; just 0.8mm wire.

Elite status can be withdrawn....

I confess after a lifetime building plastic kits, I only noticed that the real ones arent actually solid relatively recently!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’ve had an idea about a load for my wagon. I found in the corner of the workshop some old metal curtain pole. It’s about 3/4” diameter and was white powder coated which I cleaned off. I think they make quite nice large pipes. I have six of them which could be made into a nice crate and tied down to the bolsters. 
What do people think?F86268A0-75C6-4A85-8A9E-015565B9F3A5.jpeg.742bf9518dae84378469d027836badef.jpeg

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Here's a load of gas main pipes from the Staveley Co., Swindon-bound:

177903882_DY2506GWwagonshowingmethodofloadingpipes.jpg.c8620663e0d61f5e47df6475ad447c91.jpg

NRM DY 2506, released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum.

Five across the width of the wagon, say 16" OD, maybe 12 ft long? Yours must be the next size up, 20" OD, 21 ft long? How heavy?

Note the flanges on one end. The lettering would be an interesting application of your techniques.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1