Had an electrical short then loco won't slow

George Hudson

Sorry for the clickbait title but couldn't find my problem wading through the forum.

Actually the title says it all!

One of my Hornby locos with Hornby decoder was going along merrily under control through gauge master but I caused a short on the track and the loco which had just stopped shot off for an impromptu 30cm drive then stopped.

Now I find that this loco will start fine but turning the speed down to zero results in the speed dropping very slowly and comes to a halt 5-10 seconds after instruction depending on speed.  The emergency stop button on the controller still works fine in bringing the engine to an immediate stop.

Any ideas before I simply put in a new chip and write it off to experience?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

As above: anything odd or inexplicable in decoder performance, perform a factory reset. It may not 'take' immediately, some need several goes over time. Had this advice very early in my DCC experience from a  German retailer, and it has paid off really well over the years. If the decoder isn't visibly damaged (as in 'cremated component') it is worth trying. At least one of my decoders took a month with several resets at intervals before it restored to default 03 address and normal functionality! And it is still working many years later.

• Thanks 1

Great, thanks for the tips.  

I should have known it would be a variant of "switch it off and on again". :-)

Strange how this digital stuff should be a mystery at times.  I still have a decoder which stubbornly refuses to be readdressed from 03.  I did two locos, one after the other on the programming track; one worked and the other didn't even though I did the same procedure, got the same noises etc... what do I know, I'm only following instructions.