Dapol N gauge Class 66

MGR Hooper!

Interesting that they use the word "proposed" to describe the new announcements. Only going ahead with sufficient orders, perhaps?

I still can't help but think the Dapol model doesn't match the standards of the Farish one. Dapol have more separate parts on their 66 - etched grilles, wire handrails, etc., but the moulded versions on the Farish model actually look better to my eye - in terms of the subtlety being closer to capturing the look of the real thing. (I'd actually say the Kato 1:160 66 is even finer in terms of moulded detail). Dapol also still seem to persist with that almost totally matt paint finish, rather than the more pleasing subtle satin finish that Farish/Bachmann always have. 

The RRP prices listed for the "proposed" 66s are actually pretty low by today's standards - perhaps a conscious attempt to make their model the "budget option"? 

EDIT - I wonder if anyone has ever tried to upgrade the Dapol 66 with finer etchings and handrails? Perhaps with a Shawplan "extreme etchings" type roof grille (in stainless steel?) and a much finer front handrail (jig to form the shape?) it could become the better model? Of course Dapol could choose to make these kinds of upgrades for new batches themselves, if they wanted to ... 

Edited by justin1985
afterthought
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, justin1985 said:

I still can't help but think the Dapol model doesn't match the standards of the Farish one. Dapol have more separate parts on their 66 - etched grilles, wire handrails, etc., but the moulded versions on the Farish model actually look better to my eye - in terms of the subtlety being closer to capturing the look of the real thing. (I'd actually say the Kato 1:160 66 is even finer in terms of moulded detail). Dapol also still seem to persist with that almost totally matt paint finish, rather than the more pleasing subtle satin finish that Farish/Bachmann always have.

I whole heartedly agree! The finesse of the Farish tooling is leaps and bounds ahead of the Dapol model, the one let down to me is that join line across the front. I don't know if it's still present, but at one point in  the hobby their was a mentality that etched and separate is best and added fidelity, even when the parts were chunky and really didn't improve the aesthetic. On the original Farish 66, (sadly replaced by wire on the 'low emission' models) has anyone else noticed that there are moulded retaining bolts on the ends of the cab side hand rails? The GM logo cast on the bogies? The original Dapol bogies were awful, though later retooled and vastly improved, but to me the whole model has the look of a caricature alongside the Farish one. 

You mention paint finish, but I'd go further and suggest the general application could be improved full stop. Paint divides that are horizontal and in the right place, rough edges with overspray, correct colour shades (though Farish have the occasional slip too) and correctly rendered logos and typefaces are all issues that have dogged previous Dapol releases, of all model types. Whilst things have improved in the last couple of years, it feels like they still have ground to make up to consistently match Bachmann's products.

Jo

• RMweb Premium

Indeed - I only buy Farish 66s - it is the cab front lamp iron that is vastly over-scaled that killed the Dapol 66 in my eyes....

Annoyingly Dapol do churn out lots of re-numbers which is useful.... and Farish have yet to offer a 66 in EWS maroon/gold but with the cab side/front DB logo, which is probably the most wide-scale livery on the railway not yet produced by Farish.