OO Class 08 Buying Advice?

I'm after an OO gauge Class 08 and am on a bit of a budget so am looking online to see what is available 2nd hand. DCC isn't needed.

Are there any brands that are recommended or worth avoiding? Are there any upgrades that can be done to cheaper models to get them to run better? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

It will depend on your budget. The two contemporary 08 models are by Hornby and Bachmann. Both are good models and frequently available second hand but you’d be lucky to see either for under £50, but if you look at gumtree and Facebook marketplace you might get lucky. 

Lima and Wrenn are your other options, much older models and can be had from £30 upwards. 

Apart from ensuring that the pick ups are in contact with the wheels and that the chassis is clear of fluff and dirt, upgrades  don’t exist for these types. You could change wheels and or coupling rods, but if you’re on a budget spend time looking for a keenly priced Bachmann or Hornby example, and you’ll do ok.

• Like 2

Both the current Hornby and Bachmann models are fine as they are, the Hornby one is slightly more hi-fi  but it's a close call. The Lima one is crude and the old Hornby one (confusingly still available in sets until quite recently) is a Jinty chassis with an 08 body plonked on it. 

The only upgrade I've done to mine (one of each) is to get a set of PH Designs etched front steps but that's really only necessary if you drop it and break the plastic ones off. :shout:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks for the advice. I've seen a few older Hornby locos around. Is there much difference between newer and older versions? I seem to remember the slow running abilities of some Hornby locos varied in quality depending on what motors were put inside them.

• RMweb Premium

The premium models are the China-made Hornby ones: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-R3037XS-Fitted-Electric-Locomotive/dp/B004QGSK9C

If it's Hornby and it has outside frames (wheels hidden behind the plates which carry the spring detail) then it's the super detail model. 

The Bachmann model is less fine than the Hornby super detail one - note especially cruder/missing detail below the footplate: 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/38924/bachmann_branchline_32_116a_class_08_shunter_d3986_in_br_green_with_wasp_stripes/stockdetail.aspx

In contrast to the Hornby model above, here's the toy they also make: 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/20054/hornby_r1075class08_class_08_shunter_d4093_in_br_green_dcc_fitted_split_from_r1075_set/stockdetail.aspx

Note: I'm not endorsing either Amazon or Hattons - it's just that these photos can be blown up. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

The premium models are the China-made Hornby ones: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-R3037XS-Fitted-Electric-Locomotive/dp/B004QGSK9C

If it's Hornby and it has outside frames (wheels hidden behind the plates which carry the spring detail) then it's the super detail model. 

The Bachmann model is less fine than the Hornby super detail one - note especially cruder/missing detail below the footplate: 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/38924/bachmann_branchline_32_116a_class_08_shunter_d3986_in_br_green_with_wasp_stripes/stockdetail.aspx

In contrast to the Hornby model above, here's the toy they also make: 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/20054/hornby_r1075class08_class_08_shunter_d4093_in_br_green_dcc_fitted_split_from_r1075_set/stockdetail.aspx

Note: I'm not endorsing either Amazon or Hattons - it's just that these photos can be blown up. 

Thanks for this, it's easy to see the differences once pointed out.

Edited by Binky

• RMweb Gold

The cheapest of the Bachmann models secondhand are the pre 8-pin decoder socket models made prior to 2010, catalogue numbers 32-100 to 32-116 or thereabouts. They are I think split chassis models which are generally not as good runners, as the DCC ready models that followed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, stovepipe said:

The cheapest of the Bachmann models secondhand are the pre 8-pin decoder socket models made prior to 2010, catalogue numbers 32-100 to 32-116 or thereabouts. They are I think split chassis models which are generally not as good runners, as the DCC ready models that followed.

I don’t think any of the Bachmann 08 are split chassis. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Hey, they're all toys. The super detail Hornby and Bachmann ones are the best detailed and running but you will struggle to get one at under £50 secondhand, and be prepared for footsteps or bits to have been broken off. The Lima and Wrenn (ex Hornby Dublo) ones are cruder, but it is possible to glaze the windows and make decent models (which is after all what we did before box-opening perfection served on a plate became the norm...!). Of the two, the Wrenn has the better engineered mechanism but both can be had for £30 or less with a bit of searching.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, andyman7 said:

Hey, they're all toys. The super detail Hornby and Bachmann ones are the best detailed and running but you will struggle to get one at under £50 secondhand, and be prepared for footsteps or bits to have been broken off. The Lima and Wrenn (ex Hornby Dublo) ones are cruder, but it is possible to glaze the windows and make decent models (which is after all what we did before box-opening perfection served on a plate became the norm...!). Of the two, the Wrenn has the better engineered mechanism but both can be had for £30 or less with a bit of searching.

From my experience I would suggest the Bachmann version is more "robust"..

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

The original Bachmann ones had wiper pick ups on top of the wheels which quickly gather dirt.

Yes, that's it - I knew they were inferior in some way. Still the cheapest way into ownership of a reasonably recent tooling though.

• RMweb Gold

The new Hornby one is my preference, but theres little in it, Though choice of liveries is less (though Green and Blue are well covered), if your after a celebrity livery Bachmann has covered many many variants.

Bachmann 08’s do seem to have issues with splitting axles on their 08’s, spares are available, but make sure its a good runner first. Hornbys rod’s tend to be a little delicate.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby 1 - Old Triang toy 08 body on generic Jinty chassis, v. crude and absolutely nothing like an 08 below the footplate; axle spacing miles out and no representation of the correct outside frames.  Commands highish prices on 'Bay for what it is, and it can't easily be improved on.  No glazing.  This may be the oldest body tooling still currently on sale, dates from 1958 IIRC; not in current Hornby catalogue but still sold with a military type train set.  Easily the worst option, and you have to wade through page after page of them on 'Bay before a current production Hornby 08 turns up, so a time waster as well 

Hornby 2 - Current production 08, highly detailed, superb runner but expensive.  It can't easily be improved on either, but that's because it's an excellent scale model to start with.  Good quality can motor drives through worm/cog, cab clear for detail which is well represented.

Hornby Dublo/Wrenn - A bit crude by modern standards, main issue being ringfield motor filling cab (drives vertically down to rear axle via brass worm and cog, which means that Romford type gears can be substituted for better running).  so no possibility of cab details, which are highly visible on an 08.  Printing and finish not up to modern standards, and coupling rod a bit chunky, and no fine detail on chassis like sandboxes/pipes or brakes.  Heavy and a smooth runner but geared too fast; will pull down a house.  These are very satisfying to shunt with once you've got the hang of the overrun.  No glazing.  Not in current production, and Hornby Dublo will have HD couplings.  IIRC has flangeless centre driving wheels

Lima - Similar appearance to HD/Wrenn and similar level of detail, but much lighter with plastic chassis.  Pancake motor fills cab, and again coupling rod is a bit chunky.  Geared even faster than the HD/Wrenn (also drives rear axle but has sideways mounted motor driving through plastic spur gears) but can be controlled down to an acceptable shunting speed with care and attention to spotless rails, wheel treads, and pickups.  Makes an acceptable 08 noise from the pancake being amplified by the plastic body shell without DCC 08 sound or speakers.  No glazing.  Particularly horrible large tension lock coupling moulded to chassis.  Not in current production.

Bachmann - Excellent model in current production, highly detailed, good runner, usually has the edge on Hornby for price but there's not much in it.  Can motor drives through worm and reduction cogs, cab clear and detail provided.

Another distinguishing feature of the current hi-fi Hornby and Bachmann 08s is the NEM coupling.  Given that you are looking for a loco within a budget, much depends on how much compromise to realism you are prepared to accept.  Sadly from your point of view the current production Hornby and Bachmann locos hold their prices well on 'Bay.  I would suggest the Wrenn is the best budget option, but dark windows will be needed to hide the motor, likewise the Lima, plus there's the uncertainty of buying second hand.  The Triang Jintychassis is not worth bothering with except as a pure toy, and it lasted in production well into the Triang Hornby and Hornby eras.  Later chassis perform better but are no less incorrect!

If your skill level includes stripping locos down, the best bet would be to buy a 'spares or repairs' Wrenn and 'do it up' yourself.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

You need to be pretty handy at advanced bodgery to change the Hornby Dblo / Wrenn 08 gearing as you have to remove one fly crank and then rivet the end of the axle over again.  However when fitted with Romford 60 : 1 gears the slow running is absolutely ridiculous 20 rpm at the motor 3 rpm at the wheels. I only really use flat out and stopped on mine, but it is immensely strong.

Glazing the cab windows with really thick clear plastic hides the motor nicely.

The Lima 09 can be tamed to a certain extent with a computer motor and resistors but otherwise if you want a 100mph 09 its a good second to the Triang /Hornby "Diesel Shunter" which will manage 150.  The Triang had a different body moulding to the Hornby though both fitted the same chassis. Triang is taller to accommodate the clockwork spring and the cab windows are lower.

2000 on Hornby and Bachmann are either not cheap or they have issues which can also be expensive. 

The old Lima one was a decent runner with extra pickups on the centre axle. It was dimensionally incorrect in a number of ways but still managed to look OK, as long as you don't put it next to a modern Hornby or Bachmann one!

WP_20200629_08_31_21_Pro.jpg.7851ad4c073f44cbde77cc8b436b6d1d.jpg

Hornby have had 3 different models - the old Triang-Hornby one with the horizontal radiator shutters that I had in the early '70s was replaced by a better moulding  either in the late '70s or the '80s that's more or less correct in the major dimensions, forward of the cab doors anyway, but still had the dodgy inside framed steam chassis. Why they didn't make a proper job of it then I don't know, but they eventually came good.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Binky said:

I'm after an OO gauge Class 08 and am on a bit of a budget so am looking online to see what is available 2nd hand. DCC isn't needed...

One of the early Bachmann releases would be my pick since DCC isn't required:

12 hours ago, stovepipe said:

The cheapest of the Bachmann models secondhand are the pre 8-pin decoder socket models made prior to 2010, catalogue numbers 32-100 to 32-116 or thereabouts.

The earliest of them have the pick-up design weakness mentioned by @Butler Henderson above, that the pick up wipers bear on the wheel treads. So when you spot one on sale s/h discounted as 'intermittent runner' or the like, that shows no signs of exterior damage or derangement to the fly cranks, that's the one to buy, if you are in any way handy. All it most likely needs is the wipers reformed slightly: your choice whether they run on the flange tips or the edge of the tyre, locations which don't collect railhead dirt, and you are almost done.

While in this (easily achieved) dismantled state you can do a little beneficial work on his model's mechanism design asset which lifts it clear of the Hornby in the reliable starting and slow running state. The centre axle is sprung. File a shallow groove in the keeper plate under the centre axle to enable the axle to move downwards under spring force when lifted off the rails. Just 0.5mm is enough. then you have a short wheelbase loco with five out of six wheels on the rails at all times. (Bachmann consistently don't allow significant downward travel on sprung driven axles, just crying out for this small modification to obtain the full benefit from this useful feature.)

If you really want to tinker, the Bachmann is far easier than the Hornby to pack with lead, mine with relatively bulky Lenz Gold decoders inside are just shy of 400g. Like that they shift the heavy loads the real thing could move.

That's not to say neglect the Hornby if one offers at a good price. If you get really lucky and see one in fine exterior condition well discounted because it makes a loud screaming noise when running, buy, buy, buy! This is so easy to fix by easing the wormshaft bearings, and then you will have a fine runner. (In terms of motor and drive line the Bach and Hornby are twins: good sized five pole motor, flywheel, 40:1 multistage gear train, very effective.)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi, if you are on facebook try to join some of the pages set up for buying and selling model railway equipment. Both Hornby and Bachmann 08's come up quite regularly for reasonable second hand prices. Good luck.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2020 at 09:03, Barclay said:

The old Lima one was a decent runner with extra pickups on the centre axle. It was dimensionally incorrect in a number of ways but still managed to look OK, as long as you don't put it next to a modern Hornby or Bachmann one!

WP_20200629_08_31_21_Pro.jpg.7851ad4c073f44cbde77cc8b436b6d1d.jpg

Hornby have had 3 different models - the old Triang-Hornby one with the horizontal radiator shutters that I had in the early '70s was replaced by a better moulding  either in the late '70s or the '80s that's more or less correct in the major dimensions, forward of the cab doors anyway, but still had the dodgy inside framed steam chassis. Why they didn't make a proper job of it then I don't know, but they eventually came good.

The problem with the Lima one is it was too big in the bonnet and cab height to fit the pancake motor. Something which the steam tank engines also suffered with.

Yes. The Hornby 1977 version was correct but suffered with the inside frame chassis. It was caught somewhere between the end of Triang and the newer models. The J83 which came out the same time was still pure Triang and still had the old chassis, but the Jinty that arrived the next year was new. The 08 had the new chassis though. Even had an uncoupling device.

The cure for the Hornby model was the Crownline chassis and detailing kit. Unfortunately no longer available.

Jason