An MR goods train originating from Liverpool - but where from?

• RMweb Premium

Not much goods traffic at Liverpool Central, Brunswick Goods included the original Cheshire Lines passenger terminus - the branch off was really the later line into Central station. The Liverpool portions of trains from St Pancras had reversed at Manchester Central - as did the GC trains right into the 1960s.

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

The Liverpool portions of trains from St Pancras had reversed at Manchester Central 

Not in Midland days - Liverpool portions of London expresses were attached/detached at Marple, then from 1902, Cheadle Heath or Chinley (not sure which; maybe both). I expect reversal at Manchester Central came in LMS days, with the decline of the importance of the Midland route for through London-Liverpool passenger traffic.

Edited by Compound2632

We are getting to be at cross purposes.

I agree that Midland passenger services would have started at Exchange and would have been routed via Farringdon Jcs and Blackburn to Hellifield. I would doubt very much if the Manchester-Carlisle services started at Manchester Exchange which was an LNW station not LYR. The LNW had rights at Victoria which dated back to 1844/5 with the agreement between the L&MR and Leeds & Manchester Rly, but the MR ran it's Scottish trains over LYR not LNWR.

The Midland Pullman trains didn't combine with any other but I'm unsure about later expresses.

Getting back to goods, think the post by Poggy covers it.

Edited by PenrithBeacon
Finger trouble
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I would doubt very much if the Manchester-Carlisle services started at Manchester Exchange which was an LNW station not LYR.

The Midland passenger services to Carlisle via Blackburn and Hellifield used Manchester Victoria (L&Y) as we both previously stated. The Exchange station in question is the L&Y one at Liverpool. All very confusing nomenclature!

Excuse me if already mentioned, but Backtrack May 2020 vol 34 no 5 has an analysis of passenger traffic from Exchange and Central using dates from opening to closure. Some mention is made of freight services. 

Paul

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Excuse me if already mentioned, but Backtrack May 2020 vol 34 no 5 has an analysis of passenger traffic from Exchange and Central using dates from opening to closure. Some mention is made of freight services. 

Paul

Thanks for highlighting, I'll investigate