Bachmann 31-661ds sound issue

pnosferatu

hi all,

Ive had the above class 47 loco for about 9 months now with no issues whatsoever until tonight.

Was having a running session and then the loco stopped on a bit of dirty track I'd missed... having moved the loco past it, i would normally expect the sound to come back. It doesn't and hasn't. 

All other functions work, including lights and motor. I've tried the old IT trick of turning it off and then on again to no joy. No sound at all. Which leads me to believe that the speaker has blown. 

Ive removed the body and the speaker seems intact and still wired in. Is there anything i can do before i moan at Bachmann or replace the speaker myself?

Cheers 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2020 at 11:59, hucknall byron said:

So a bit of dirty track has messed the sound up permanently? This and other minor mishaps seem to be happening to me also with alarming regularity. I currently have out of action a class 40 and a Derby Lightweight dmu. At about £120 a pop this is not very good.

Your Derby Lightweigth was a dead short across the speaker terminals which were 1.5mm from the track, thus when it derailed the 3V Speaker Circuit touched the 16V track circuit.  You cannot blame the decoder or suppliers for bad speaker fitting.

Charlie

DSC_0660.JPG

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...