Starter kits, and kit to get started

Book suggestions:

• Anything by Iain Rice is worth having if only because of his writing style.
  • Bob Essery is another prolific author who specializes in MR and LMS. Technical books that include works drawings are very useful.  
  • Geoff Kent's three volumes on the 4mm Wagon are very good indeed.  There are lots of prototype pictures and I still use these even though I'm on 0 gauge.
  • The 4mm Coal Wagon by John Hayes is an omnibus.

Starter kit suggestions: 

- A couple of Parkside wagon kits in your chosen scale. You can build brass underframes, brakes, etc if you're handy with a soldering station and get some soldering experience at the same time!

- Judith Edge Hunslet 230hp 0-4-0 DH

- Tower Models (Blackpool) do 2 starter kits in their Tower Collection; an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST and an 02 Diesel Shunter, both are £250, and both are complete with motor, wheels, etc, just add paint!

- Branchlines chassis and detailing kits

- Budget Model Railways - 3D printed bodyshells to fit on RTR chassis. They are not prototypical, but cheap and easy eg 4 wheel diesel shunter body for £15 to go on a cheap RTR chassis.

- for 0-16.5, try also A1 Models who do 3D printed bodies to go on RTR chassis.

- for something bigger, try IP Engineering, their Ezee range of kits is inexpensive, eg a complete train and circle of light duty track for £100.

- SEF Finecast (with caution)

- Smallbrook studios (O-16.5mm)

- Comet chassis

Tool suggestions:

• a knife such as Olfa
  • files (diamond ones, or a pack of mini files from your local discount store)
  • a sanding stick (ladies nail files can be useful)
  • a couple of pin vices. 
  • 0.020" and 0.032" drills useful
  • Testors gel
  • liquid solvent. 
  • fiberglass brush very useful
  • Cocktail sticks

• Wooden clothes pegs - carve to shape as required

• Scotchbrite 

• Coffee stir sticks

• Paper cups = disposable for paint mixing

• Bulldog clips

• Paper clips - a handy source of iron wire

• Blu-Tak

• Barbecue bamboo skewers

• 12 inch ruler in my chosen scale and a good 6 inch ruler

• Swann Morton scalpel handle, a pack of 10a blades,  and a little whetstone to resharpen blades

• Pair of smooth jawed needlenose pliers and a small pair of flush cutters - Xuron makes lovely ones

• 6 inch medium cut file, flat or half round. Use this only on brass!

• A good little set square. Seriously. It is the tool of 1001 uses.

• A little box for all the above and a cutting mat.

Good evening

Due to COVID-19 I am spending much more of my time in my house without my trains than my apartment where I had begun to build a layout for my kids in OO.

Note; this makes it sound like I'm rather well off with two residences; I'm divorced, my kids are 4 hours away and I have a small apartment near them, and my partner pays the mortgage on our shared house because child support!

ANYWAY

I'm fascinated by the skill of kit and scratch builders on this forum. I remember some of my father's Keyser kits, which always looked better on the box than the whitemetal lump I saw inside. Kits at model railway exhibitions as a kid ranged from "how do they make it look so amazing" to "stuttering wobbly lopsided coffee grinder".

As I am unable to progress with building the layout for the kids for at least a couple more months I want to have a go at some starter kits and see if I have any aptitude. It gives me the opportunity to build some oddballs that I really like, and I'm also quite interested in trying some different configurations if I get good. A bit of a mechanical tinkerer. 

These questions have certainly been asked before, and when I searched through the forum I found pieces of what I'm looking for, but nothing comprehensive and it was spread out over the different scales. I'm hoping you may all have some advice that I can potentially drop into this first post (at the top) as some guidelines for newbies such as myself.

The question is in two parts:

1. What starter kits are good value, well designed and likely to have a decent outcome?

2. What tools are needed to be successful without resorting to ingenuity I lack in the build?

bonus 3rd: I have an unnatural attraction to O gauge, but the cost again seems so much higher, should I suck it up and go big?

Breaking these down further:

1. Many of the kits I've looked at for locomotives really start to add up, even in OO, when you add wheels and motor/gearbox. A 100GBP kit quickly becomes 250GBP. My assumption for a starter kit would have been that an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 and likely either diesel or inside motion steam would be ideal. This avoids coupling rods and wheelbases being too long, and the idea of outside motion valve gear etc terrifies me. I am drawn to brass, but should I be open to whitemetal? 

I am a competent airfix plastic model builder. I've done some of the older Dapol ones too, which are good fun, and I was reasonably successful (other than one dry-run slipup that means my 05 wheels will never turn...). I am a spectacular IKEA furniture builder. Who provides decent instructions, preferably with photos? DJH seems to do full colour photos, Judith Edge seem decent? Highlevel are extremely wordy, and my knowledge of various running gear components is only so-so, which is why diagrams help. In terms of what's available I really like some of the Judith Edge industrial diesels, and I follow Michael's posts on here. 

I will start with a couple of wagons, as everyone suggests. Who does decent, reasonable brass kit wagons in OO? I'm not focused on one region or era; covering anything from 1923- mid 60s would probably be the most useful in the long run. I have an affection for SR steam and Western Hydraulics, but I don't really care too much. If there's an opportunity to build L&YR stock that could be fun for something I have planned way down the road.

For the loco - where should I go, what should I do? The highlevel Barclay looks like the best value as all the pieces are there, which is not to be sniffed at given how much wheels and motors/gearboxes now seem to be retailing for. It's especially important to me as I'd prefer to have everything in one box to ease customs, import, ordering, postage etc. I'm Canada based. I'm also not exactly knowledgeable, so knowing which axle, which wheel design, why one won't quarter properly on a whatyamacallit axle with a 1.5m driveshaft etc etc. I would like to have something I can put together, that fits with some fettling, where I can see if I have aptitude and can learn the intricate pieces on from there.

Unless there's an O gauge shunter kit that I should be looking at???????  :D :D Just not 475GBP with a questionable reputation like the DJH Class 14.... The DJH 03 starter kit has been discontinued.

2. I have little to no equipment. I have looked at soldering irons, of course Canada makes this bloody difficult as it's all third party resellers through large online multi-billion pound blood-sucking enterprises. However, I have found some retailers that can ship mostly reasonably, or have local supply, of Weller. I can order Hakko too. I figure I need 60W, or is that overkill? Adjustable heat settings, right? That gets up to about $175 before tax, so 115GBP with tax. Then a couple of different temperatures of solder and some flux? What type of flux?

Dremels? Is it worth getting a chassis jig?

I have no idea how to tap a screw, or what a 12db (??) screw is. All the wonderful kit builders on here seem to have various rods, screws, bolts etc on hand. How does one replicate that starting from scratch, and does one need to? Some of you turn brass on the lathe, I can't imagine for a newbie that's going to be something I can handle or afford?

Files, stanley knife, cutting mat etc I have from plastic kit building. Paint etc I'm not too worried about as I'll deal with that when I get to it. I used an airbrush 15 years ago, they can't have changed that much! (BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER)

So, long question short; what's kit is needed to get started properly?

I've seen a few different books recommended - it's hard to search through the forums, so if anyone does recommend a book/booklet I'll drop those into the top of this post too.

If I can get the equipment and kits within my budget, I am sure I'll be back asking for specific advice on building.

Thank you everyone for your help. If this exists somewhere already feel free to point me in the direction of it with a gentle "pi$$ off" and I'll be merrily on my way :)

Edited by Nova Scotian
Adding advice from members to top of post

Wow, what a lot of words.  Where to begin.  First, do you want to start in 0 or stick to 00?

I'm doing 0 (converted from 00 4 years ago) and loving it.  Dapol really upset the applecart with their affordable 0 gauge RTR locos.  Minerva do some very good locos too, industrials and GWR.

You mention doing Airfix kits but loco kits aren't anything like that in any scale.

Starter kit?  How about a wagon?  Parkside and Slaters do great plastic kits in 00 and 0.  Getting your feet wet with these will get you started with basic skills.

For plastic kits you'll need a knife such as Olfa, files ( I like the diamond ones), a sanding stick (ladies nail files can be useful) and a couple of pin vices.  You will find the 0.020" and 0.032" drills useful I think, but buy lots because they do get dull and break.  I use Testors gel and liquid solvent.  I find a fiberglass brush very useful but haven't seen these here.  I got mine from Hattons.

I use Canadian Tire primer, red oxide and grey.  British paints can be hard to find but general paints and other supplies can be obtained from the links below.

I have had good service from:

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/

https://hobbywholesale.com/

I would recommend you visit:

https://britishmodeltrains.ca/

Check this site:  http://www.brmna.org/index.html

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Blimey, what a lot of options! If you're staying with OO then why not start off cutting your teeth by going back to your roots with a few more of the old venerable Airfix now Dapol wagon kits?  I don't think you'll find anything much easier to put together, I certainly wouldn't go for a brass kit straight out of the gate. (Also not as expensive if you get it wrong...)

I wouldn't bother with books, apart from inspirational photos you learn all you need to know as you go along by having a go (and getting it wrong once or twice). Start simple, work your way up. An inside cylinder 0-6-0T tank engine of some description is probably the most straightforward kit to start with. Most kits don't have wheels or motor included (because of the vast array of possible combinations and modellers' tastes) so your "one box" mantra may be a bit difficult, I'd try sourcing closer to home as @brossard suggests.

Everybody is different and there is no one "right" way of doing things, you develop your own personal approach according to your tastes and set your own challenges as you go along: I think I'll have a go at... Crikey! Never doing that again / Loved it! Will build another 10.

Tools and bits just tend to accumulate, before you know it you will have boxes of oddly-shaped files (because although you only needed one round angled head riffler file for a particular job, you have to buy the set of 5 to get it) various old knife handles and blades (because you tried out various types but then settled on your favourite about 20 years ago because it sits well in your hand and cuts nicely - and of course you NEVER throw anything away (um, sometimes even keeping broken things - just in case)) so you have an array of old baccy tins with odd bits of motion, screws and nuts and washers, electrical whossits and leftover thingummies. Sometimes you even manage to remember and locate the bit you need when you need it, rather than having to go out and buy yet another new one.

Instructions? Hmm, you mention IKEA, I don't think model railway kits can be throught of in the same way, every bookshelf that leaves the produciton line is probably going to be assembled in the same way and look (more or less) the same. But no two kits will be built in the same way or look the same. Anyway, by the 3rd or 4th kit you'll be saying "Instructions? I don't need no stinkin' instructions!" and tossing them away.

Tools are an easy way to spend a lot of money very quickly, only buy new tools as and when you need them for a particular job. I often buy (or used to buy) secondhand tools from trader stalls at exhibitions, a lot of modellers tools are hardly used and then get passed on when they sell their stock.

I don't think you'll be needing to buy lathes or dies and tap screws unless you are going to be a scratchbuilder and turn things from bar stock.

But everyone is different, I have tried several times over the past 30 years to get to grips with airbrushes (I also had a Badger) but gave up as I have only ever had disasters with splodges, runs and overspray. Yes, I know I'm doing it wrong and could figure out how to do it properly with a bit of effort, but I can get exactly the effect I want with brushes, so why waste time trying?

But most importantly  - no matter what you are building, in which scale, in what media and with whichever tools - have fun! :^)

Edited by TT-Pete
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, brossard said:

Wow, what a lot of words.  Where to begin.  First, do you want to start in 0 or stick to 00?

:blush: Yeah, sorry about that.

OO is the sensible choice; cheaper, good availability (esp of plastic kits), and goes with the RTR stuff I already have. O is the siren call, and the various sales have sorely tempted me (I keep looking at the Heljan 05s at 175GBP and drooling.

I've done a few plastics kits; some ratio coaches (but need to order some metal wheels from the UK (or one of the links you shared) before I can continue to work on them), some of the old Dapol kits etc.

Pin vices is a good call - I've not been using and should get.

Thanks for those four links; extremely helpful. I had not come across britishmodeltrains somehow, not sure how I missed it in my various googling over time. They have many of the bits I need (including cheapish wheels) where I can order from Canada. Greatly appreciated. This is my local shop and it has some humbrol paints, some scenecraft etc, but doesn't cover off anything on the brass side or really anything useful for UK https://maritimehobbies.ca/

6 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

I wouldn't bother with books, apart from inspirational photos you learn all you need to know as you go along by having a go (and getting it wrong once or twice). Start simple, work your way up. An inside cylinder 0-6-0T tank engine of some description is probably the most straightforward kit to start with. Most kits don't have wheels or motor included (because of the vast array of possible combinations and modellers' tastes) so your "one box" mantra may be a bit difficult, I'd try sourcing closer to home as @brossard suggests.

Tools and bits just tend to accumulate, before you know it you will have boxes of oddly-shaped files (because although you only needed one round angled head riffler file for a particular job, you have to buy the set of 5 to get it) various old knife handles and blades (because you tried out various types but then settled on your favourite about 20 years ago because it sits well in your hand and cuts nicely - and of course you NEVER throw anything away (um, sometimes even keeping broken things - just in case)) so you have an array of old baccy tins with odd bits of motion, screws and nuts and washers, electrical whossits and leftover thingummies. Sometimes you even manage to remember and locate the bit you need when you need it, rather than having to go out and buy yet another new one.

Instructions? Hmm, you mention IKEA, I don't think model railway kits can be throught of in the same way, every bookshelf that leaves the produciton line is probably going to be assembled in the same way and look (more or less) the same. But no two kits will be built in the same way or look the same. Anyway, by the 3rd or 4th kit you'll be saying "Instructions? I don't need no stinkin' instructions!" and tossing them away.

Tools are an easy way to spend a lot of money very quickly, only buy new tools as and when you need them for a particular job. I often buy (or used to buy) secondhand tools from trader stalls at exhibitions, a lot of modellers tools are hardly used and then get passed on when they sell their stock.

But most importantly  - no matter what you are building, in which scale, in what media and with whichever tools - have fun! :^)

Thank you. There are a couple of "starter kits" out there, and from a position of ignorance I'd have thought they'd be relatively popular as when one is starting out one doesn't know the difference between the different wheel/gearbox manufacturers etc - nor have a particular leaning toward compensation/springing, pick-ups etc. Getting something that folds together, solders and runs would be a massive confidence boost to being able to get into that stuff.

I donated some of my tools when I crossed the pond, as there were concerns about shipping cost (stupid thing to do), and obviously anything electronic is a problem as we're 110v here. Then a few I'd built up on the larger side of things I probably left in my divorce (bit of a hurry to get out!) - so it's only now that I have most of the tools for being able to take a decent crack at plastic kits again. It's why I was now looking for whether I could make an expensive leap to brass!

I raised IKEA because some of their more complex builds, while still all turning out the same, still involve following instructions with a relatively set list of parts. For the first-time build something more like this would be ideal until I'm confident enough to tinker.

If your after a loco to build, how about SE finecast? I have one of their N5 bodies that I`m going to fit to a Bachmann jinty chassis (the wheel base is close enough). Plus they do have a complete price list, so minimal extra costs. And the body can be easily built using super glue if you are not to confident with the hot iron.

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson
18 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

If your after a loco to build, how about SE finecast? I have one of their N5 bodies that I`m going to fit to a Bachmann jinty chassis (the wheel base is close enough). Plus they do have a complete price list, so minimal extra costs. And the body can be easily built using super glue if you are not to confident with the hot iron.

Just be aware of some SEF ‘starter’ kits are very old and not particularly accurate and therefore unsatisfying. The G6 and E1R spring to mind as being quite poorly proportioned kits.

Cheers and Stay Safe

I think Tony Wright would suggest starting with an 0-6-0 kit.  Rather than dive in the deep end, and help minimise cost, it might be economic to start with a comet chassis kit, typically £20-30, and if you like it, then purchase more advanced and complex kits. Comet is available via Wizard Models and also sell wheels, gears etc.

David

• Like 1

Books - I am a great believer in these.  Anything by Iain Rice is worth having if only because of his writing style.

Technical books that include works drawings are very useful.  Bob Essery is another prolific author who specializes in MR and LMS.

Geoff Kent's three volumes on the 4mm Wagon are very good indeed.  There are lots of prototype pictures and I still use these even though I'm on 0 gauge.

Google will throw up a lot of pics if you type a topic in the search bar.  Occasionally you will find something useful.  I always smile to myself when I see my pics come up.

Agree about minimalism regarding tools.  I use a relatively small number of tools and the majority of mine live in a box never seeing the light of day.

Most kit instructions are quite poor with childlike sketches and, often, way too many words.  They do at least usually show you liveries and location of markings.  Parkside and Slaters include transfers.

Loco kits will usually come in at a cost that is way more than a RTR model.  Their value is that you can produce a loco that is not offered by the big three.

If you can find it - it may be on You Tube, Tony Wrights video on loco kit building is invaluable. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Right-Track-Locomotive-Building-Part/dp/B000C5VW50

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The 4mm Coal Wagon by John Hayes is an omnibus.  Seriously,  buy it. I second the above recommendation for books from Iain Rice and Robert Essery. Essery's books in particular are so good I switched from GWR to LMS just to be able to have such good reference material at hand.

Regarding tools. If I were starting over today I would get;

A 12 inch ruler in my chosen scale and a good 6 inch ruler

A Swann Morton scalpel handle, a pack of 10a blades,  and a little whetstone to resharpen blades - I've used one blade now for months.

A pair of smooth jawed needlenose pliers and a small pair of flush cutters - Xuron makes lovely ones

A pin vise with interchangeable collets and a bunch of bits. For bits under 1mm buy them on bulk on eBay from China.

A 6 inch medium cut file, flat or half round. Use this only on brass! 

A pack of mini files from your local discount store. You'll use these on plastic, white metal, etc, so keep it cheap here.

A good little set square. Seriously. It is the tool of 1001 uses.

A little box for all the above and a cutting mat.

A couple of Parkside wagon kits in your chosen scale. You can build brass underframes, brakes, etc if you're handy with a soldering station and get some soldering experience at the same time!

3 minutes ago, WM183 said:

The 4mm Coal Wagon by John Hayes is an omnibus.  Seriously,  buy it. I second the above recommendation for books from Iain Rice and Robert Essery. Essery's books in particular are so good I switched from GWR to LMS just to be able to have such good reference material at hand.

Regarding tools. If I were starting over today I would get;

A 12 inch ruler in my chosen scale and a good 6 inch ruler

A Swann Morton scalpel handle, a pack of 10a blades,  and a little whetstone to resharpen blades - I've used one blade now for months.

A pair of smooth jawed needlenose pliers and a small pair of flush cutters - Xuron makes lovely ones

A pin vise with interchangeable collets and a bunch of bits. For bits under 1mm buy them on bulk on eBay from China.

A 6 inch medium cut file, flat or half round. Use this only on brass! 

A pack of mini files from your local discount store. You'll use these on plastic, white metal, etc, so keep it cheap here.

A good little set square. Seriously. It is the tool of 1001 uses.

A little box for all the above and a cutting mat.

A couple of Parkside wagon kits in your chosen scale. You can build brass underframes, brakes, etc if you're handy with a soldering station and get some soldering experience at the same time!

This is great - thank you! Will edit and add to my first post shortly with this.

Guest Jack Benson

May I add some of the unsung heroes of model making:-

Cocktail sticks

Wooden clothes pegs - carve to shape as required

Scotchbrite 

Coffee stir sticks

Paper cups = disposable for paint mixing

Bulldog clips

Paper clips - a handy source of iron wire

Blu-Tak

Barbecue bamboo skewers - not as useful as their smaller cousins but keep a few.

The above may sound either obvious or why, that is until you cannot do without them. My personal favourite is the humble cocktail stick for applying precise dabs of glue or just holding stuff in place. 

Cheers and Stay Safe

• RMweb Premium

This kit will get you off on a good start.

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/144

All in it'll cost you roughly £100 including wheels/motor/gears. It’s a contemporary kit, and all components to complete are available. If you go for older kits, then motors and gears etc can be harder to sort due to many items no longer being available. You can get round that but resolving those issues to get sorted, from your location might add frustration you don’t need. If you do go the old kit route and ‘new’ drive system, try and find someone who’s actually done it, rather than a theorist!

58 minutes ago, PMP said:

This kit will get you off on a good start.

All in it'll cost you roughly £100 including wheels/motor/gears. It’s a contemporary kit, and all components to complete are available. If you go for older kits, then motors and gears etc can be harder to sort due to many items no longer being available. You can get round that but resolving those issues to get sorted, from your location might add frustration you don’t need. If you do go the old kit route and ‘new’ drive system, try and find someone who’s actually done it, rather than a theorist!

The way the site is built that URL takes you to the homepage rather than the kit (as does copying the URL from any of the kits from what I can see). Can you confirm that's for the Hunslet 230 hp 0-4-0DH  ?

Does Judith Edge have options to order motor/gearbox/wheels with the kit, or would one have to do that separately? I like their kits. 

• RMweb Premium

Some suggestions..

For 00, have a look at ‘Budget Model Railways’. The do 3D printed bodyshells to fit on RTR chassis. They are not prototypical, but cheap and easy eg 4 wheel diesel shunter body for £15 to go on a cheap RTR chassis.

For 0-16.5, try also A1 Models who do 3D printed bodies to go on RTR chassis.

For something bigger, try IP Engineering, their Ezee range of kits is inexpensive, eg a complete train and circle of light duty track for £100.

All the above are easy and satisfying to build.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

The way the site is built that URL takes you to the homepage rather than the kit (as does copying the URL from any of the kits from what I can see). Can you confirm that's for the Hunslet 230 hp 0-4-0DH  ?

Does Judith Edge have options to order motor/gearbox/wheels with the kit, or would one have to do that separately? I like their kits. 

Yup it was the 230HP Hunslet I had in mind. I’m not sure if they can supply parts to complete, I’ve bought my kits from them at shows where other traders were on hand to ‘complete’ the components. A message to @Michael Edge might be worth a punt to see if they can do a one stop shop. If not I’d suggest trying these vendors for items to complete Such as gearboxes wheels and motors 

High Level 

Branchlines

Alan Gibson Workshop 

London  Road Models

Edited by PMP
  • Like 1

Tower Models (Blackpool) do 2 starter kits in their Tower Collection.

An Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST and an 02 Diesel Shunter, both are £250,

and both are complete with motor, wheels, etc, just add paint!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

Tower Models (Blackpool) do 2 starter kits in their Tower Collection.

An Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST and an 02 Diesel Shunter, both are £250,

and both are complete with motor, wheels, etc, just add paint!

Thanks - found them and their links. Those are good prices http://www.tower-models.com/towermodels/ogauge/towercollection/tc1/index.htm

http://www.tower-models.com/towermodels/ogauge/towercollection/tc3/index.htm

The Mercian kits (with motors, wheels etc) can be quite reasonable, in both O and OO. Any experience from the group on whether they're a good starting place too?

• RMweb Premium
On 14/08/2020 at 22:45, Nova Scotian said:

Not for me:

or

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/452

or

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/447

etc.

Edited by melmerby

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Odd - tried those in both chrome and safari and it just takes me to the homepage for judith edge. What browser are you using?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

Odd - tried those in both chrome and safari and it just takes me to the homepage for judith edge. What browser are you using?

Even odder.

That was with Firefox on Win 10, however another Win 10 machine with FF goes to the home page as does (Chrome) Edge.

EDIT

Very strange, if I click on the link in my original post it goes straight to the individual kit, if I click on the "quoted" link in your reply it goes to the home page.

More

I have now tried it in Chrome and non Chrome Edge on the PC I entered the post on.

Both work with the original link but if I try on the quoted link it goes to the home page but if I do it a second time it opens the individual kit pages:scratchhead:

Edited by melmerby

The reason it is happening that way is because the kits are on pop up windows and not specific pages. Hence the pop up pages only work from the Judith Edge main page.

Just go to the main page and search down for the kit you wish to view.

Please be aware that for security reasons these pop windows are scheduled to be replaced by the Lightbox system soon but I will ensure the old links are redirected to the main page.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ukmodelshops
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, ukmodelshops said:

The reason it is happening that way is because the kits are on pop up windows and not specific pages. Hence the pop up pages only work from the Judith Edge main page.

Just go to the main page and search down for the kit you wish to view.

Hi Adrian

OK. Why if I click on the link URL for a kit (as I originally posted) on the original PC, it goes to the kit but if I click on the copy of the link it goes to the home page?

However if I then click on the kit link copy, even if I have closed the main page in the browser it opens the kit window.

Is the PC somehow holding a "copy" of the home page even although it was closed in the browser?

I'm puzzled:)

Any chance of making them separate pages?

It would make direct linking easier!