Renumbering a Hornby 66

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

I have just realised that the Hornby 66 I bought my son last year in GBRf livery is actually 66 731 'Interhub GB'

Two questions - are there other locos carrying this livery that this could be renumbered to (and which ones!)

Also - how easy is it to renumber these - given the corrugated sides etc.

I am by no means an expert on the current scene, as you might have guessed!

Edited by JohnR

Hi John, 

I'm not an expert in the class 66 and I would have hoped that a more knowledgeable member would have helped you sooner but I have a few ideas that might point you in the right direction!

Both 66733 and 66751 appear to have carried the same basic livery as 66731 before the NHS/Capt. Tom repainting. These have been released as models by Hornby and others so a quick google search should confirm this. (I don't know how many doors these locos have if that's important to you?)

You will get new numbers from Fox or Railtec but I don't know if they will have nameplates - these might be available as spares from Hornby.  Check this first as it may determine which one will be easier.

With regards to removing the old numbers, I would suggest spending some time looking through the weathering/painting/transfers section on here and I'm sure you'll quickly find someone has done similar and will be able to advise on removing the old numbers without needing to do a full repaint! Hopefully...........

I have recently stripped a 66 to repaint as GBRf 66789 and I'm sure the decals will stick to the ribbed sides without issues.....it will be my first repaint!

Have fun!