Bachmann Class 24/1

John Boy

I have a Bachmann class 24/1 fitted with an ESU V5 sound decoder, Leggomanbiffo. The sound output is very low despite the volume CV set to the max. The built in speaker is mounted below the cooler group fan. The speaker is directly mounted on the pcb with screws. and would appear to face down!

Before I gut the loco to change the speaker, has anybody solved the problem already? 

Thanks in anticipation.

John

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, russ p said:

Remember with a class 24 or 25/0 the idle speed is lower as only one compressor as they were vac only 

all 24s and 25s idle speed is 250rpm russ. 

Ive just checked my Sulzer maintenance manual they were all 250rpm

the fact they were vac only didn't make a difference they still have 3 auxiliary machines running off the aux generator 2 exhausters and 1 compressor, the only difference when they were air braked was that the compressor that ran was dependent on the end the locomotive was being driven at

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, pheaton said:

all 24s and 25s idle speed is 250rpm russ. 

Ive just checked my Sulzer maintenance manual they were all 250rpm

the fact they were vac only didn't make a difference they still have 3 auxiliary machines running off the aux generator 2 exhausters and 1 compressor, the only difference when they were air braked was that the compressor that ran was dependent on the end the locomotive was being driven at

The compressor change over was only when running in vac .

I may be wrong but was sure when any of the sulzer twos were dual braked the idle speed was increased. 

24s certainly sound to idle slower than 25s 

• RMweb Gold

more likely due to governor russ 24081 has a unique note to it due to the governor hunting, its basically knackered, 26s certinatly are 250 rpm and so are 27s.

For a time 043 had a unique note to it due to a fuel pump inbalance

• Informative/Useful 1