Emergency road/rail vehicles

Good morning 

I was going to ask this wuestion in the Stonehaven thread but they all seem to be locked.

I was watching you tube the other day and came across this and wondered if there were any of these in this country 

i know there are various foad/rail vehicles out there. I seem to recall there was a landrover done at some time for the severn tunnels but cant be sure

19 minutes ago, John Harris said:

Most UK road/rail vehicles are pictured here, I suspect there are few, if any, 'first responder' vehicles of this type in the UK.  Few lines in the UK are totally inaccessible from the road or via a field.

jh

I thought Avon Fire and Rescue had a road-rail Unimog-type vehicle, based at Severn Beach? It was introduced to supplement the then emergency train on the Welsh side.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here’s a BRUFF doing a bit of shunting.

On 22-6-88 the Bescot trip, 6V03, derailed during shunting at Banbury (as an aside, in the process, demolishing the last remaining GWR triple disc ground signal at Banbury, the others being of LMR origin). The BRUFF was used in clearing up.

BRUFF_Banbury_22-6-88.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, astropsidings said:

Here’s a BRUFF doing a bit of shunting.

On 22-6-88 the Bescot trip, 6V03, derailed during shunting at Banbury (as an aside, in the process, demolishing the last remaining GWR triple disc ground signal at Banbury, the others being of LMR origin). The BRUFF was used in clearing up.

BRUFF_Banbury_22-6-88.jpg

What a fabulous picture, in all the years I search on line for pictures of bruffs and recovery vehicles, I think this is the first I have seen of a bruff moving a rail vehicle! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Right from the earliest days of the Land rovers there were road /rail versions,

image.png.a753d5bba72250622da45f92f94bd8d1.png

many models are available..

image.png.00eda23aa753b968db4be5fd077eb10d.png

a favourite party trick was towing trains..

image.png.13ccf37c75036deba67931c3c53216fe.png

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, TheQ said:

Right from the earliest days of the Land rovers there were road /rail versions,

image.png.a753d5bba72250622da45f92f94bd8d1.png

That is based upon an ex-military 127 Rapier support vehicle, the square rear tub had a large rectangular hood and held spare Rapier anti-aircraft missles.