Using a transformer for auxiliary tasks

Rick Gibson

A little help needed. I purchased a Gaugemaster GMC WM1 transformer with the intention of using the 16v AC output to power the 9 points on my layout independently from the DCC controller I have. I have just installed a Peco turntable and 12v motor/gearbox (0.6 rpm £8 from EBay works silently and is brilliant- that’s another story). I thought I could run the turntable from my aux on the DCC controller but that is 16v dc and will damage the motor or at least make it run too fast. My question is this: the gaugemaster transformer states 16v AC OR 12v DC. Can I wire up both outputs and simply make sure I don’t operate any point motors whilst the turntable is in operation? Any help is always appreciated. I’m new to all this and the support I get from you folk in the RM Web community is brilliant 

Yes you can do that. 

If your point motors are solenoids (which I'm assuming they are as you're mentioning 16v AC)  then why not add a Capacitor Discharge Unit (CDU) to the 16v AC output and allow the CDUs output to feed all the point motors?  Then at no time should the GM WM1 become overloaded. 

On 13/08/2020 at 20:42, Rick Gibson said:

A little help needed. I purchased a Gaugemaster GMC WM1 transformer with the intention of using the 16v AC output to power the 9 points on my layout independently from the DCC controller I have. I have just installed a Peco turntable and 12v motor/gearbox (0.6 rpm £8 from EBay works silently and is brilliant- that’s another story). I thought I could run the turntable from my aux on the DCC controller but that is 16v dc and will damage the motor or at least make it run too fast. My question is this: the gaugemaster transformer states 16v AC OR 12v DC. Can I wire up both outputs and simply make sure I don’t operate any point motors whilst the turntable is in operation? Any help is always appreciated. I’m new to all this and the support I get from you folk in the RM Web community is brilliant