Boston Frodsham an attempt at P4

mike knowles

Now that Mr Y has finally got his finger out and got the image posting problem resolved (only joking Andy - you're doing a suoperb job) I thought I'd start off a thread on my attempt at P4. As I'm not into these Blag thingimys I've decided to stay in my comfort zone and use layout topics (after all I'm into railway modelling not computers).

Anyway:

In a previous thread-on the old forum (see Garden Railway in just 3 feet 6 inches) I mentioned that the small layout bug had bitten and I was going to start planning a layout - well this is what I??™ve come up with.

About 2 years ago I started constructing a P4 layout, which was to represent some exchange sidings in a dockland setting based on the followings photos as inspiration.

1 The swing bridge at Boston Docks inspired by photos in a superb little supplement called ???Oil & Water??? issued with the June 2005 copy of Traction. A couple of the pictures are shown below (hope it doesn??™t infringe any copywright laws). ADMIN EDIT Sorry Mike, yes they do (see Rule 5 in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/35-forum-rules/ ) so I've had to remove them. They can be reinstated if you can demonstrate permission to use them from the publisher. Mod6.

2 The scrapyard located on the wharfside at Frodsham as per the two pictures below, but incorporating a short rail siding. This would give me the excuse to build the Langley Models kit of the RB22 crane, which I have admired on their exhibition stand for some time.

The layout was originally intended to be 12 feet x 2 feet (plus fiddle yard) and two boards 4x2 were made up, the swing bridge constructed, some track built and laid and some scenic details around the scrapyard area put in place. Unfortunately my plans proved to be a bit ambitious mainly in that I had nowhere to store the layout, let alone set it up and operate it. As a result it has languished about in various corners, suffering some damage as a result. Below are some pictures of the layout at present.

post-432-12566487671059_thumb.jpg

post-432-12566487807528_thumb.jpg

post-432-12566487945492_thumb.jpg

post-432-12566488066931_thumb.jpg

post-432-1256648821637_thumb.jpg

post-432-12566488376173_thumb.jpg

post-432-12566488498508_thumb.jpg

For the new small layout I have decided to just use the board with the bridge and scrapyard area only and just show the very ends of the exchange sidings. As a train enters the layout from the right you will just see the loco and perhaps one wagon, so the fiddle yard (a shelf with some cassettes) at this end will only be long enough to accommodate this. Trains crossing the bridge to go to the scrapyard and other works beyond will consist of a maximum of two wagons, so again a short fiddle yard (cassettes again) only will be required at the left hand end. The idea will be to have the main board supported on self contained legs with the fiddle yard boards cantilevered off each end. Hopefully the trackplan below will give some idea of what is planned though the layout of the sidings area is far from finalised ??“ has anyone got any views/suggestions for improving it?

post-432-12566487518019_thumb.jpg

As work progresses I??™ll update the thread but don??™t expect it to happen quickly!

• RMweb Premium

1 The swing bridge at Boston Docks inspired by photos in a superb little supplement called ???Oil & Water??? issued with the June 2005 copy of Traction. A couple of the pictures are shown below (hope it doesn??™t infringe any copywright laws). ADMIN EDIT Sorry Mike, yes they do (see Rule 5 in http://www.rmweb.co....35-forum-rules/ ) so I've had to remove them. They can be reinstated if you can demonstrate permission to use them from the publisher. Mod6.

Meanwhile there are some prototype pics here (part of this rather wonderful site) to show how well Mike's bridge captures the look of the real thing.

Meanwhile there are some prototype pics here (part of this rather wonderful site) to show how well Mike's bridge captures the look of the real thing.

Many thanks for those links, trouble is now I've seen the picture of Grand Sluice Bridge I'm trying to think of a way of incorporating it onto the layout as well. I seem to have a fascination for bridges, must be something to do with working for a civil engineering company.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Still interested in this one! :)

No progress at all I'm afraid, it's currently in "safe" storage.

As I stated earlier I did consider modifying it to enter it into the 2010 challenge but time has been against me this year for various reasons.

However I still intend to continue with it at some stage and will keep you posted, thanks for your interest.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
However I still intend to continue with it at some stage and will keep you posted, thanks for your interest

Am also interested to keep up with this, when you can re-start work on it, Mike. I really like the feel of the photos you posted so far :)

• 6 years later...

Just spotted this, following from Hull show report. Will the swing bridge have the little six-sided cabin at the end? I note you thought of the Grand Sluice as well. Not an easy location to model, with rail bridge, road bridge, locks and sluices, level crossing and changes of ground level to cope with. Having said that, I'd love someone to try!

• 1 year later...

I met this layout for the first time over the weekend at Wakefield.  Having done a photo shoot at Boston harbour a few years ago I was struck by how well you have captured it.  What a shame that there was no room for the somersault signal though.

Chris

I met this layout for the first time over the weekend at Wakefield.  Having done a photo shoot at Boston harbour a few years ago I was struck by how well you have captured it.  What a shame that there was no room for the somersault signal though.

Chris

Yes I would have loved to have modeled the somersault signal but without the level crossing as per the prototype location I can't really justify it. (Please bear in mind this is a fictional layout just using Boston (and Frodsham) for inspiration.

However if someone can come up with a plausible reason for having it I'd love to hear from you!

• 7 months later...
Following the excitement and pleasure of exhibiting the layout at Scalefour North last April progress has taken a bit of a back seat over the summer months as gardening, sun bathing etc took over. However now that there is an r in the month again work has recommenced so I thought an update was due.

Those of you who saw the layout at Wakefield will have noticed the beginnings of some low relief warehouses along the back (if you didn't get there look at the show thread for details} and these have been the focus of recent attention.

They are based on the (presumably ex GCR warehouse} which was located adjacent to the swing bridge but which was sadly demolished in the 80's. The photo below was the best I could find of it.

post-432-0-46451800-1542656117.jpg

Construction is a 5mm foamboard shell clad with South Eastern Finecast English Bond brickwork, roof slates are from York Modelmaking, doors were knocked up from plasticard, scribed to represent the wood planks, gutters are plastic tube filed down to a semi circle and drainpipes are brass rod all attached using fittings from Modelu.

The walls were initially painted with Humbrol dark brown acrylic from a rattle can then lighter and darker shades dry brushed on and finished with some weathering powders and talc. The roof slates were dry brushed with Humbrol metalcote.

A few photos below showing the work as it progressed. Still a bit more to do to finish them but hope you like them so far.

post-432-0-00807100-1542656135.jpg

post-432-0-97398900-1542656181.jpg

post-432-0-59244900-1542656219.jpg

post-432-0-37241700-1542656261_thumb.jpg

post-432-0-34300000-1542656306.jpg

post-432-0-99445400-1542656379.jpg

post-432-0-34146600-1542656400.jpg

post-432-0-30754000-1542656664.jpg

post-432-0-17072900-1542656716.jpg

post-432-0-22113500-1542656741.jpg

post-432-0-51415300-1542656783.jpg

• 3 months later...

It was good to have seen this layout today at the Wetwang show, I think you have captured the look of the warehouse very well and the weathering on the lucams was very good, it caught my eye anyway, the running of the layout was very impressive too, especially the slow running.

It was also good to chat with some of the running team, I think Dave and Ian.

Enjoyed the visit and though I had to cancel my participation in the event this year I hope to be involved in the next.

Jim

7 hours ago, aberdare said:

It was good to have seen this layout today at the Wetwang show, I think you have captured the look of the warehouse very well and the weathering on the lucams was very good, it caught my eye anyway, the running of the layout was very impressive too, especially the slow running.

It was also good to chat with some of the running team, I think Dave and Ian.

Enjoyed the visit and though I had to cancel my participation in the event this year I hope to be involved in the next.

Jim

Many thanks for the kind comments, pleased you liked it.

The layout itself is progressing well though it's taken a while (too long, can't believe I started this topic back in 2009)! However there still remains a lot of work to do on the locos and rolling stock.

If anyone's interested you can see it next weekend at the Carlton Model Railway Society Show in Howden.

Must update this topic at some point, in the meantime a couple of photos from today.

20190316_154924-1.jpg.1ffc55311549b1c1956b43f396192d08.jpg20190316_154219-1.jpg.8cba54f1fe55110784b7efe83a26fe91.jpg

Archived