Tarnished brass

I've found through experience clean surfaces are key to good bonding. I use Bar Keeper's Friend and then budget washing up liquid on all metal parts before soldering. I also wipe with a pad soaked in IPA immediatley prior to applying flux. Possibly slight overkill, but i get a good, quick bond everytime. 

6 minutes ago, Shed Driver said:

Agreed

I've used Bakers (zinc chloride) for about the last 50 years,  Never had any problems, don't know why it's got a bad name for its self.

Norman Blackburn

PS I also use it on white metal.

I suspect that it's the need for decontamination afterwards (either the effort of doing it or the result of not doing it) that works against Bakers Fluid. Personally I like it for "difficult" joints, but tend to avoid it if I can get away with something less aggressive. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Shed Driver said:

Agreed

I've used Bakers (zinc chloride) for about the last 50 years,  Never had any problems, don't know why it's got a bad name for its self.

Norman Blackburn

PS I also use it on white metal.

Have you seen what it does to steel?

• Agree 3

One model that I was building to commission , the customer wanted steel slide bars ( O gauge ).  I did a test with Bakers and Carrs Black label.  Carrs was more corrosive than Bakers.  My thoughts from my experience.

Drifting of topic, when using a decent flux the metal does not have to be clinically clean.

Norman

Edited by Shed Driver

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Cillit Bang.... it works on Brass LGB rails anyway, I assume it should be ok for finer detail items?

What flavour do you use - there's several I believe?

On 13/08/2020 at 22:22, Les Bird said:

I have a couple of etched brass kits which I have had for some years. The brass components are heavily tarnished. Do I need to clean them and, if so, does anyone have any tips on how best to do that?

I usually use a brass brush 1 inch wide and 4 inches long and lay the brass on a hard flat surface and clean the whole sheet before I remove anything. The beauty of that is you can get rid all dirt, remove any dents or other damage and don’t scratch the surface. It also works very well for removing any curvature in the brass.

I always like to solder on clean brass which is a lot easier in my experience than trying to solder tarnished brass. The flux will burn through but it needs more dwell time and heat before the solder starts to flow.

Mark

13 hours ago, polybear said:

What flavour do you use - there's several I believe?

I think it's some bathroom black mould the good lady wife has in at the moment. The advert for the original stuff used to show a tarnished penny being half dunked in and coming out shiny, so original basic should work just as well.

• Thanks 1