Ex LNER Twin sets in BR days

lekkie lad

Hi there. Having had an unmade Kirk kit of an LNE Quad 3rd set (still unbuilt), I have thought about, in these current climes, of doing a small plank layout based in North London circa 1959 during the steam/diesel transition. Now that most pilot scheme diesels are available, plus Oxford Rail's N7 (I also have a Dapol N2 somewhere), it would not be hard to create. For the coaches I'm rather partial, along with the quad-art, to Gresley non-corridor stock. Hornby do some but I still have my eye on the former Kirk kits (now from Coopercraft). I fancy doing a couple of pairs of the Twin articulated sets. however, and here's the question, did the twin sets remain in BR service to the late 1950s? I've not been able to find any details/photos of that era showing for definite.

Many thanks

Ian S

A word of warning, unfortunately Kirk LNER kits are only available second hand.

Please don't try to order anything from Coopercraft, it's been the subject of many pages of threads in the small suppliers forum. Basically, it seems your money and order disappear into a black hole never to be seen again. This situation has been ongoing for years.

• Agree 4

The Gresley non-gangwayed twins were displaced by 1958 by the BR mk1 non-gangwayed and Cravens DMU's, on the suburban services operating out of Kings Cross. (What hung on in outer suburban service of the LNER vehicles, were the Gresley and Thompson lav 1sts and semi corridor lav composites, to provide facilities which were initially lacking in the BR mk1 non-gangwayed build.)

You already have the suburban service artics that you truly need in the form of quad arts, these essentially pre-group design vehicles will linger on in service until 1966. Andy Edgson (Isinglass) has 3d printed kits.

None of which stops me from having a couple of Gresley non-gangwayed twins lurking on the Luton and Dunstable operation until inner sub steam operation ceases at the end of 1960, and the last of the N2s and N7s depart in the year following...

Quite incredible to have all the regularly allocated KX suburban service traction during the steam to diesel transition available from RTR OO: B1, L1, N2, N7, 20, 21, 23, 26/0, 30, 105.

8 hours ago, lekkie lad said:

I still have my eye on the former Kirk kits (now from Coopercraft). I fancy doing a couple of pairs of the Twin articulated sets.

Hi Ian

Correction; now not from Coopercraft

You can however still place your order, and pay your money, but that's the  last you'll ever see of either!

As has been said, please see the threads on this in the Smaller Suppliers section under the Products & Trade Zone of this forum

Isinglass now produce some new, 3D print resin resin, kits of Gresley non-gangwayed stock, both single and artic and types

Edited by Ken.W

Also thanks to 34theletter, Wickham Green Too and Great Central for info. I was trying to avoid paying the high process for the Hornby non-corridor Gresley. Ah well, ah well. At the time I bought the Kirk kits (I also had the Compo Lav and Compo non-Lav but these had to go to the scrap yard a while ago) I was not as au fait with building & painting kits as I am now. I could strip the paint but models aren't, as I find, the same.

Right, on with another project!!

Cheers

Ian S

12 hours ago, lekkie lad said:

I have been looking at the Isinglass website but I've had bad experience with 3D printed stock. Admittedly it was for 009 and was from the early days of 3D printing.

Ian S

They're good kits, I've built one, and then got some more to do.

You can see some, and some discussion on them, on page 2 here;

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/154259-who-is-correct-gresley-corridor-stock-end-designs/page/2/

One final question (for now) if I may? For the Gresley & Thompson coach rake, I assume the brake vehicle would be/could be a Gresley compartment brake third. (My rakes would only be 4 coaches in length). But would it be 4 compartment (Hornby) or would it be 5 comp or 6 comp (Isinglass)? Of should I be looking elsewhere?

Many thanks

Ian S