0-6-0 Tender Loco chassis 29mm x 31mm any ideas please

I recently bought an etched loco chassis with a 29 x 31/32 mm wheelbase, its an 0-6-0 and I thought it may be useful as it has EM gauge spacers and I have several locos waiting for conversion.

Its compensated, but has no coupling rods, sell thought it was 29mm x 32mm. I have had a quick measure and it may be nearer to 29 x 31 mm. As it has hornblocks I can adjust to the coupling rods when I get them

Definitely an 0-6-0 (tender) not tank (no rear guard irons. Any thoughts please

Thanks, might be a great call

297.jpeg.0e6c7616a26953c2183055558612129b.jpeg

Owing to the lack of a rear guard iron I thought it may be a tender loco, but as you see the rear of the chassis is stepped inwards 

298.jpeg.243a9b8272490b2fb373ceaabe3dd7af.jpeg

Whilst it may or may not be designed for the 56xx it might work and I have a GEM loco needing an etched chassis

Thank you

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The Rhymney Railway 0-6-2Ts, and the Brecon & Merthyr and Neath & Brecon licos derived from them, also used this wheelbase for their chassis’; the 56xx can be regarded as a Rhymney R class built of Swindon standard parts. 

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not off a 56XX. I'm looking at my Comet one and it has a large arch at the back. It would take a lot of work to change that.

Collett Goods? Not exactly right but would be 29 x 33.

Jason

Jason

Thanks, I have already an etched chassis for a 56xx and I know the back part is missing hence the 0-6-0, but the chassis which is in the style of Gibson frames and probably scratch built would lend itself to be altered to a 0-6-2T format and the driving wheels and ash pan line up. Might be worth converting to the 0-6-2 format

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

The Rhymney Railway 0-6-2Ts, and the Brecon & Merthyr and Neath & Brecon licos derived from them, also used this wheelbase for their chassis’; the 56xx can be regarded as a Rhymney R class built of Swindon standard parts. 

Thanks, it might be worth looking at these to see if I could adapt one of my locos 

• RMweb Gold

As you chassis has hornblocks, you could look at the Rhymney P, and M, classes as well, larger and smaller driving wheels respectively.

4 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Collett Goods? Not exactly right but would be 29 x 33.

If it's good for a 2251, it's good for a 94xx

• Thanks 1

The rear axle on a 56xx (and the large prairies) is not a pony truck, but has radial movement in the frames. A model might need one of course depending on the radii it has to traverse.

Many Great Western 0-6-0s have 7'3" + 8' 3" wheelbase

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, hayfield said:

I recently bought an etched loco chassis with a 29 x 31/32 mm wheelbase, its an 0-6-0 and I thought it may be useful as it has EM gauge spacers and I have several locos waiting for conversion.

Its compensated, but has no coupling rods, sell thought it was 29mm x 32mm. I have had a quick measure and it may be nearer to 29 x 31 mm. As it has hornblocks I can adjust to the coupling rods when I get them

Definitely an 0-6-0 (tender) not tank (no rear guard irons. Any thoughts please

Is it a replacement set of milled frames to replace a RTR set or kit which has a wrong chassis? I remember that Alan Gibson sold scale chassis, as well as ones to fit specific models or kits  which may not have been 100% right.

2 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

The rear axle on a 56xx (and the large prairies) is not a pony truck, but has radial movement in the frames. A model might need one of course depending on the radii it has to traverse.

Many Great Western 0-6-0s have 7'3" + 8' 3" wheelbase

True. But unless you have very generous curves then you would have to compromise such as with the Comet chassis. You really do need the arch or you are virtually running the equivalent of a short wheelbase 0-8-0.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/locomotive/lcp28/

If you want to go down the scale route then Bill Bedford does them with a Radial Axle.

https://www.mousa.biz/fourmm/loco/frames/gwr_loco_frames4.html

Jason

15 hours ago, hayfield said:

Thanks, might be a great call

297.jpeg.0e6c7616a26953c2183055558612129b.jpeg

Owing to the lack of a rear guard iron I thought it may be a tender loco, but as you see the rear of the chassis is stepped inwards 

298.jpeg.243a9b8272490b2fb373ceaabe3dd7af.jpeg

Whilst it may or may not be designed for the 56xx it might work and I have a GEM loco needing an etched chassis

Thank you

56XX should be 29mm +32mm     GEM 56XX has been stretched to fit a Triang generic 0-6-0 or  Jinty  32mm+33mm chassis  (Jinty should be 32mm +34mm), you need to do a huge amount of surgery to the GEM 56XX to make it look anything like right.  Mine has several mm cut out of the boiler and is on a Hornby Dublo Ring Field Castle chassis. Very powerful. Very ugly.  Even now i'm sure the GEM smokebox is too large in diameter. 

I don't know of any 7ft 3" + 8ft wheelbase chassis apart from the 56XX.   There may be Welsh 0-6-2 Ts with the right wheelbase but neither MSWJR  (8ft 6" +8ft ) Nor Cambrian (7ft 3" + 8ft 3") 0-6-0s fit the bil _ 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Is it a replacement set of milled frames to replace a RTR set or kit which has a wrong chassis? I remember that Alan Gibson sold scale chassis, as well as ones to fit specific models or kits  which may not have been 100% right.

I think it may be a scratch built as the frames are each 2 thin sheets soldered together and have a strange joggled rear chassis, either to fit a body or as suggested to allow for some form of rear pony or radial truck

• RMweb Gold
On 15/08/2020 at 03:48, DavidCBroad said:

There may be Welsh 0-6-2 Ts with the right wheelbase but neither MSWJR  (8ft 6" +8ft ) Nor Cambrian (7ft 3" + 8ft 3") 0-6-0s fit the bil _ 

I believe the axle spacings for the 56xx are a copy of the Rhymney Railway R class 0-6-2T, itself a standard design on the Rhymney which shared boilers, engines, and motion with the P class and the M class, and possibly the S class 0-6-0T shunting loco.  These locos were built by Stephensons, who built similar designs for the Brecon & Merthyr and Neath & Brecon Railways.  The 56xx can be regarded as Collett's interpretation of a Rhymney R built of GWR standard components; the main dimensional difference is the driving wheel size, an inch larger on the 56xx.

• Thanks 1