Stonehaven derailment

• RMweb Gold

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2020/08/scotrail-train-crashes-near-stonehaven-reported-injuries-and-engine-fire.html

This is just up the line from me at Laurencekirk.

Reports from various newspaper websites suggest the train has "fallen down an embankment", nothing to coroborate that yet.

The size of the emergency response suggests that there may be a large number of injuries.  One source said one death, but again no coroboration as yet.

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

No words...

Thoughts going out to all involved 

EDIT: had a think about it and I’ve removed the link to the pic on Twitter, if you want to see it log in there

Edited by big jim
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Richard Clinnick of Rail is reporting that the train had actually been turned back and was heading back north when the incident happened.

Also reported a minute or so ago on BBC from the Editor of 'Modern Railways'. who appears to have seen some photos of the incident and stated that one vehicle was upside down.  Nasty job - according to his information the train had stopped short of a slip and was returning towards Stonehaven when the incident happened.

T Real TIme Trains shows the train as 1T08, 06.38 Aberdeen - Glasgow 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

16 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Richard Clinnick of Rail is reporting that the train had actually been turned back and was heading back north when the incident happened.

He has since tweeted that the train had turned back after encountering a landslip when it ran into another.

Just now, Dan Griffin said:

admin it maybe prudent to lock topic to prevent assumptions and speculation.

Might be a good idea. I'm on another forum and the comments on there are getting used by the news groups. A similar thing happened on a forum after the Shoreham airshow crash

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Also reported a minute or so ago on BBC from the Editor of 'Modern Railways'. who appears to have seen some photos of the incident and stated that one vehicle was upside down.  Nasty job - according to his information the train had stopped short of a slip and was returning towards Stonehaven when the incident happened.

T Real TIme Trains shows the train as 1T08, 06.38 Aberdeen - Glasgow 

There is an image on Facebook which would confirm that, it's lay across something else that I don't want to speculate on.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

What I don't get is how some of these images are coming to social media - it's a live incident and the only people on site are surely the emergency services.

Despite the suggestion that the location is remote, in terms of getting access to the railway accident site, there are a more than a few dwellings in the area.  There are many farm tracks and country paths, if you know the area.

Best

Scott.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Read the thread. What I said was, "Comparatively remote"

Whoa! Why so prickley?!

I acknowledged that the crash site itself was remote (not "comparatively remote") - I was even agreeing with you!

However, my point was that locals would have no probelm accessing it, particularly on foot.

Despite all that, some of the photos I've seen have been taken from the rail track itself, so that, as Woodenhead suggests, is more likely to be from rescue services.

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch

8 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Legitimate news sights are using video from the crash site which may feed speculation. Agree with comment that thread should be locked.

I would resist thread-lock, but encourage responsible posting, which everyone is doing. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Agree with comment that thread should be locked.

As long as discussion is respectful, without speculation, to those involved and pictures linked from official news there’s no need to lock it. 

Our thoughts area with those involved and their families. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

What I don't get is how some of these images are coming to social media - it's a live incident and the only people on site are surely the emergency services.

And passengers who were travelling on the train.  All too common nowadays that an awful lot about an incident is put on social media by people at the scene (not sure how they get a decent signal there?) rather than coming from official sources.

Amazing though it might seem there was information on social media about the Ladbroke Grove collision long before anything official was happening.  the train I was on that morning was stopped at Dolphin Jcn east of Slough and the Guard came on the p.a. to say that he was trying to ascertain the cause of the delay.  Within moments there were several passengers in the coach I was in who were saying there had been 'a crash near Paddington'

• Informative/Useful 3

2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And passengers who were travelling on the train.  All too common nowadays that an awful lot about an incident is put on social media by people at the scene (not sure how they get a decent signal there?) rather than coming from official sources.

Amazing though it might seem there was information on social media about the Ladbroke Grove collision long before anything official was happening.  the train I was on that morning was stopped at Dolphin Jcn east of Slough and the Guard came on the p.a. to say that he was trying to ascertain the cause of the delay.  Within moments there were several passengers in the coach I was in who were saying there had been 'a crash near Paddington'

Apparently they had come from the BBC site, though I think the BBC may have since taken them back down, but it could like you say have come from a passenger.