Absolute tragedy and thoughts to all involved.  This forum isn't really the place for speculation but I will say I've not seen a mk3 set either hauled or HST come off so badly in an accident 

• Agree 12

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, RP82 said:

Not wanting to come across as insensitive in this sad incident, is the MK3 bodyshell still as rigid/strong as before the sliding door mods?

The vestibule ends look intact on all the coaches, lets leave it to the experts to establish what forces were at play on various parts of the train when the incident occurred and they will make an assessment of what risks exist if any to fix on the structural integrity.

If you want to know more about what can happen to a Mk3 in an accident look up the Southall accident, these coaches are strong but not invincible.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That looks awful from pictures in DM.

Although there has been considerable loss of life, I am thankful there was only 12 people on that train ( according to the paper )

10 minutes ago, RP82 said:

is the MK3 bodyshell still as rigid/strong as before the sliding door mods?

The very definition of speculation. I've asked nicely, now I'll just lock it.

• Like 4
  • Agree 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to Jeff Mcghie for providing further information - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/passenger-train-derailment-near-carmont-aberdeenshire

As this is an ongoing investigation I do not propose re-opening the topic.

We are currently collecting evidence needed to identify factors relevant to the cause of the accident and its consequences. The scope of the investigation is likely to include:

the sequence of events and the actions of those involved

the operating procedures applied

the management of earthworks and drainage in this area, including recent inspections and risk assessments

the general management of earthworks and drainage and associated procedures designed to manage the risk of extreme weather events

the behaviour of the train during, and following the derailment

the consequences of the derailment and a review of the damage caused to the rolling stock

underlying management factors

actions taken in response to previous safety recommendations

We will publish our findings, including any recommendations to improve safety, at the conclusion of our investigation. This report will be available on our website.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

Interim report - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/915898/resilience-of-rail-infrastructure-interim-report.pdf

Emerging findings from the investigations suggest that a significant contributing factor to the derailment was heavy rainfall washing material onto the track. Therefore, this report commissioned by the Secretary of State for Transport seeks to provide an initial review of the resilience of rail infrastructure, in particular in the context of severe weather. Because of the nature of events that led to the derailment at Carmont, the report focuses on the resilience of earthworks and drainage infrastructure to heavy rainfall.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3