New Bachmann Wagon - (not) Plastic Wheels

meatloaf

Ive picked up one of the new Bachmann egg vans today from my local shop. Not from rails but using the link to show the wagon

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35082/Bachmann-37-807-oo-gauge-lms-12-ton-planked-ventilated-van-express-dairy-company-

Its got plastic wheels - is this a new thing for new Bachmann wagons or a one off?

EDIT : they are metal after all

Edited by AY Mod
Title amended

I think it may be based on the old GMR/Airfix model which would have had plastic wheels. Surprised that Bachmann haven't upgraded it with metal wheels.

Here's mine in 1977.

Superquick Goods shed 1977 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Are you sure it's not one of these?

That's a blast from the past. The comparatively accurate GMR body moulding as opposed to the vertically challenged version being pedalled by Bachmann.

For a very reasonable £1.49 the more accurate body in "Any livery you like colour scheme" is still available from Dapol.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/50888/dapol_b019_unpainted_wagon_body_lms_vb3_vent_van/stockdetail.aspx

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

If we are going to be strict it's the wrong van anyway....

https://hmrs.org.uk/photographs/10t-ventilated-vans-lms-506150-507987-vacbk-stl-ends-op-xwks-r3l-lettered-express-dairy-company-english-eggs-from-westmorland-farms.html

Can't remember the Diagram but it's the type Ratio do. Now Parkside. It doesn't have the diagonal strapping.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having had a quick look, it does look as though the model has metal wheels. The corrugated ends are different, vis-a- vis the Airfix & Bachmann versions. The Bachmann version has the later chalkboard attached/moulded,  whilst the Airfix version does not.  Despite being vacuum fitted , 'tis a pity that things like vacuum pipes are missing. 

Cheers,

Ian. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alcanman said:

I think it may be based on the old Palitoy Mainline model which would have had plastic wheels. Surprised that Bachmann haven't upgraded it with metal wheels.

Here's mine in 1977.

Superquick Goods shed 1977 - Copy.jpg

Thats the Airfix tooling which Palitoy owned in the early 1980s before it passed to Dapol. The van in question being Airfix 54301. Palitoy only used the tooling for LMS and BR liveries. It was one of the toolings Dapol neither had a copy made of nor sold to Hornby, so the current Dapol bodies are being made from 1978 toolings. The Bachmann model is an improved body dating from 1992 as a tweak or retool of a 1975 Kadee tooling originally used for Mainline; albeit sat on a 2001 chassis.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

33 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Thats the Airfix tooling which Palitoy owned in the early 1980s before it passed to Dapol. The van in question being Airfix 54301. Palitoy only used the tooling for LMS and BR liveries. It was one of the toolings Dapol neither had a copy made of nor sold to Hornby, so the current Dapol bodies are being made from 1978 toolings. The Bachmann model is an improved body dating from 1992 as a tweak or retool of a 1975 Kadee tooling originally used for Mainline; albeit sat on a 2001 chassis.

The giveaway is that the original Mainline tooling had working sliding doors, complete with suitably out-of-scale runners - it also appeared in an "Allsopp's Lager Beer" PO livery, which was genuine, just (as ever!) not on an LMS sliding-door van...

37148_3083402_Qty1_box.jpg

Edited by Invicta
spelling

18 minutes ago, Invicta said:

The giveaway is that the original Mainline tooling had working sliding doors, complete with suitably out-of-scale runners

37148_3083402_Qty1_box.jpg

Yes, I realised the wagon in my photo was the GMR/Airfix model. The wagon in the goods shed is the Mainline one with the out of scale runners.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

If you buy the PA16 underframe from Parkside, you get solebar/axleguards for the version built fitted, and the unfitted type (though you'll have to source the brake-shoe and pushrod assembly for the latter.)

The Red Panda LMS fitted underframe is a better match and includes the correct short brake levers and clasp brakes.

As supplied the model has a recent Bachmann underframe representing an unfited van later converted to 4-shoe vacuum brakes. The original Airfix model ran on a BR type fitted underframe as on this example which is slightly different from the LMS design.

Edited by Flying Pig
Talking cobblers.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

That's a blast from the past. The comparatively accurate GMR body moulding as opposed to the vertically challenged version being pedalled by Bachmann.

For a very reasonable £1.49 the more accurate body in "Any livery you like colour scheme" is still available from Dapol.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/50888/dapol_b019_unpainted_wagon_body_lms_vb3_vent_van/stockdetail.aspx

I seem to recall that the body is only good for depicting some of the 2050 or so BR Diagram 1/204 Vans built at Wolverton (B751300 - 752349 and B753430 - 754429).

The body side stanchions are an inverted "U" shape which I think was only found on the above vehicles - LMS D2108 vans also featured this but unfortunately were constructed from plywood rather than planking.

Some 1/204s were produced with three part corrugated ends instead of the two part version featured on the Dapol body, hence why it is only suitable for some of the fleet.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wheatley said:

Red Panda did an LMS underframe ? I'm only aware of the BR clasp brake one from them. 

The Morton chassis on the current Bachmann van is very nice, shame about the body. 

Apologies - I was convinced they did but it seems that I was thinking of Parkside PA16 referred to by @Fat Controller and misread his comment about unfitted brakes.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Don't think it's this; the Airfix has brake blocks not in line with the wheels, as in this picture.

• Like 1