ESU Power Packs

GBRf66701

I have fitted an ESU Loksound V5.0 decoder with one of there power pack keep alives and it doesn't seem to be storing any power. I have tried the power pack on another decoder and it works fine. Are there any cv's that need adjusting to get it to work?

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Hi matt

I have a V5.0 decoder with a power pack and it says in the instructions that you have to let the decoder know you have a power pack fitted using various cv's, I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check, I'll try and post the details tomorrow.

Rob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ray

Not sure about the large version decoders but this is what it says for version 5.0 - you need to tell the decoder the SSP (smart power pack) is there and which output function is being used, which is AUX 9 for a loksound 5 and AUX 7 for a Locksound 5 micro. First ensure CV31=16 and CV32=0 to gain access to the correct index, and for a Loksound 5 set CV339 to 31, and for a Loksound micro set CV323 to 31.

Rob

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I've had the same problem with a V5 decoder and stay alive and found the answer on a Australian forum and the following worked for me:

CV315 - 0

CV31 - 16 CV32 - 0

CV315 - 0

CV339 - 31

This is very similar to Rob above, but I was told to do cv315 - 0 twice (for some reason).

No idea why ESU don't tell you to do this !!

Stay safe,

Neil

2 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

I've had the same problem with a V5 decoder and stay alive and found the answer on a Australian forum and the following worked for me:

CV315 - 0

CV31 - 16 CV32 - 0

CV315 - 0

CV339 - 31

This is very similar to Rob above, but I was told to do cv315 - 0 twice (for some reason).

Similar, but critically different.    Not knowing what the index CV's are about makes things dangerous.   As a basic rule, and CV above 255 in an ESU LokSound decoder needs the values of CV31 and CV32 quoting with it, otherwise it could change something unexpected. 

Your first CV315 could be several different features in the decoder.  What was set depended on the values already in the decoder for CV31 and CV32.   The subsequent CV315 and CV339 have had the index values (CV31 and CV32) set to defined values.   So, its possible to know what they're doing.  

CV31=16, CV32=0, CV315 = aux 6 mode select

CV31=16, CV32=1, CV315 = sound slot 8 volume

CV31=16, CV32=13, CV315 = on time for random sound 8

CV315 only controls three things from the manual.  CV314 controls about a dozen different things, depending on the index values.

23 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

CV315 - 0

CV31 - 16 CV32 - 0

CV315 - 0

CV339 - 31

No idea why ESU don't tell you to do this !!

Stay safe,

Neil

I’ve tried these CV’s and it now works a treat. Thank you all for your help with this. It was driving me mad trying to figure it out.

cheers

Matt

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Would anyone have experience of adding capacitors to the V5 in place of the ESU Power Pack?  The drawing in the manual is as below.

1329130637_ESUV5.JPG.73223f12303f9f0d3aa2bb624be766c8.JPG

The device seems simple enough to make and solder to the decoder, but how does that affect the CV settings being as how Aux 9 is the Power Pack control CV and does not play a part in the above schematic.

Any help much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris.

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2021 at 12:56, dasatcopthorne said:

Does any of this apply to the V4 Micro please?

Dave

For V4 decoders you need to disable Aux 6 as follows:

CV31=16

CV32=0

CV315=0

CV113 needs turning up to quite a high number 200+ to get the most run on time.

Edited by Rowsley17D

On 17/02/2021 at 17:19, Rowsley17D said:

For V4 decoders you need to disable Aux 6 as follows:

CV31=16

CV32=0

CV315=0

CV113 needs turning up to quite a high number 200+ to get the most run on time.

Thanks Rowsley17D.

I have looked absolutely everywhere I can think of regarding CV315 on a V4 Loksound Micro as well as a standard V4 Loksound.

I have been unable to find anything relating to this.

Please can you remember where you found this info?

Dave.

Good morning,

successful home made power pack with a Lokpilot V5 installed with very good results. The pack was built as per the diagram in the ESU manual. CV 113 = 61 to give a two second burst of extra juice. 

5A42E293-773A-4F6F-A249-9FE8FBFBC8A2.jpeg.f04251ad074a954032e74bfa8a652f7f.jpeg

The capacitor pack sits transversely in the chassis and can be seen adjacent to the coal sector decal in the photo above. 

Best wishes,

Chris. 

• 2 years later...

I've tried fitting a Dcc Concepts Stay Alive (DCD-ZNSA.11) 2 wire to the KR Models Fell but with no luck.

It still cuts out all the time , its fitted with a Loksound V5 and I've soldered the blue and the black wire direct to the solder pads on the chip as the diagram from ESU.

On JMRI it shows up on the Function page Aux 7 is a Power pack and Aux 9 is a power pack.

Changed

CV 315 =0

CV 31=16

CV 32=0 

CV315=0

CV 339=31

Not sure what to try next

Thanks Baz