1S78 Manchester - Aberdeen newspaper train

Bill Jamieson

This train, which departed Manchester at 21:27 SO in the 1968/9 WTT, had a slight claim to fame in that it was one of the last trains to traverse the full length of the Waverley Route, on Sunday 5th January 1969. Thereafter it was diverted via Carstairs with a reversal there and another at Waverley. It was still running three years later (and probably into the 1980s) with slight variations of the departure time from Manchester. My query, which I'm hoping keefer can answer with his 1968-9 PTM, is how did the stock return south as there is no obvious working back south from Aberdeen in the ScR Section E WTT. It seems possible that 5M20 11:50 Perth - Carlisle Yard ECS may have been involved -  this may have continued further south under the same reporting number after a loco change in Carlisle Yard as I observed a class 50 displaying 5M20 heading south through Carnforth early on the evening of Saturday 9th May 1970.

Bill

3 hours ago, keefer said:

Can't help Bill, I'm afraid - 1968/9 ScR PTM only has 09.00 and 13.30 from Man(Vic) - Glasgow Cent.

There may be something in the LMR books, I'll look when I have more time.

Regarding PTMs and suchlike, why not join Robert Carroll's Io group (was a Yahoo group)?

https://brcoachingstock.groups.io/g/main

Many thanks for that suggestion.

Bill

In the 1987/88 timetable the stock from 1S78 (21.35 from Man Vic by then) worked back on 5C61 11.15 Inverness (via Aberdeen and then Perth) to Carstairs. The working timetable says it combined with 5M12 at Carstairs which, after a quick search on Google, was the 09.35 Glasgow Central - Red Bank.

Perhaps a similar arrangement of joining an Inverness service via Aberdeen occurred in 1968/69.

3 minutes ago, Flood said:

In the 1987/88 timetable the stock from 1S78 (21.35 from Man Vic by then) worked back on 5C61 11.15 Inverness (via Aberdeen) to Carstairs. The working timetable says it combined with 5M12 at Carstairs which, after a quick search on Google, was the 09.35 Glasgow Central - Red Bank.

Perhaps a similar arrangement of joining an Inverness service via Aberdeen occurred in 1968/69.

That's extremely interesting, but there's nothing equivalent in the 1970/71 Section B WTT of passenger train services and 1971/2 Section E WTT of mandatory train services (the 1968/9 information was supplied by a friend who does have the 1968/9 version of Section E).

5M20 from Perth still seems the best bet at the moment, with the stock possibly worked to Perth on the 16:00 SX Class 4 parcels from Aberdeen Deeside Yard.

Bill

• 3 months later...

Man Vic drivers had an SO diagramme which involved travelling pass to Preston to relief an empty van train for Red Bank. It was an early afternoon turn and the very lengthy train was usually waiting on our arrival at the long parcels platform, this was circa 1987/88. Sadly I no longer have my diaries for the period so can't ID the train, I do recall finding the engine on the north end of the train on one occasion as it had arrived via Blackburn, so presumably worked over the S&C.