Trouble with switchblade hinges losing conductivity

Dagworth

14 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

Explained here better than I can...

Thanks - I'd read that, but not fully understood it!

Basically, for a single switch, there are three possible combinations of the two tiebar positions - DOWN : DOWN; UP : DOWN; DOWN : UP. This can't be achieved with a single slide switch; it's not the electrics that cause the problem but the physical constraints of the slide switch.

Thanks again,

John Isherwood.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2020 at 14:51, cctransuk said:

Thanks - I'd read that, but not fully understood it!

Basically, for a single switch, there are three possible combinations of the two tiebar positions - DOWN : DOWN; UP : DOWN; DOWN : UP. This can't be achieved with a single slide switch; it's not the electrics that cause the problem but the physical constraints of the slide switch.

Thanks again,

John Isherwood.

But you can get three position slide switches:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/slide-switches/1543597

Roy

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2020 at 12:43, cctransuk said:

Having studied the Peco wiring diagram for their Electrofrog single slip, I can see no problem with both sets of switch rails being thrown by the same mechanical switch / lever / solenoid.

However, the LH switch blades' polarity switch changes the polarity of the RH frog, and vice versa.

That being the case, and in theory at least, a two pole two way slide switch should be capable of throwing both sets of switch blades mechanically, and changing the polarity of both frogs electrically.

Please do contradict / debate this theory at will - as I'd like to put it into practice if viable.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work, so long as each frog was electrically isolated from the rest of the pointwork. I don’t know if this applies to these bits of Peco pointwork. A DPDT with each side used separately would do fine. Mechanically moving both blades in unison to  the correct tension could be another matter. But here I believe Peco points use over-centre springs so it might not be such an issue.

Just to add, and maybe more to the point- ouch - why do you want to drive both sets of blades of a single slip together? There are three different routes requiring the blades to be both set the same, for the curved route, and opposite for each ‘straight’ one. For electrical purposes - powering the frogs - both can’t be set for the straight route at the same time. It will produce, with live frogs, electrical polarity conflict.

Izzy

Edited by Izzy
To add a bit