I need help with my GWR track plan

AdamInTheAttic

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, AdamInTheAttic said:

Melmerby, that link shows a fantastic looking track plan! If only my layout was wider! 

If you look at some of the other details about the station, you will find at one time it also had a 4 way compound point and an electrically operated sector plate.

I think the sector plate lasted until the dawn of DMUs as did the 2  traversers in Moor Street station.

You might say the GWR was old fashioned, but Snow Hill had electrically power operated points and signals albeit using standard GWR signal arms.

Moor Street Goods depot was also power operated, on two levels

• RMweb Gold

Adam, have you checked how long your platforms will be with those point formations at either end?

Will a decent length passenger train stand fully alongside the platform without fouling the points at either end?

• Like 1

If good running is the aim you could use a pair of turnouts to provide the leading connection for the goods yard with a single slip instead of a double slip.

The GWR did try to avoid facing points but failed. Indeed in 1964 Castles routinely ran across the facing points at  Honeybourne junction at 100 MPH. when the LMR put a 40 limit on the ones at Bromsgrive at the bottom of the Lickey, an otherwise brilliant place for going for a Ton.   Snow Hil was squeezed into a very narrow site and traffic was reduced by not terminating northbound Birmingham trains at Snow Hill but at Moor St for locals and Wolverhampton for expresses and sending goods via Stourbridge junction Worcester and Oxford to avoid Snow Hill.

What I don't see in the plans is anywhere for trains to go.  No hidden sidings to store spare stock.

Do the tracks in the tunnel serve as a fiddle area.?

On yet another tack the inside wall of the tunnel is noticeable by is absence, modelling the curved wall does a lot to help the illusion of the tunnel being a genuine tunnel especially if you can also keep it really dark in there

Screenshot (439).png

18 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

If good running is the aim you could use a pair of turnouts to provide the leading connection for the goods yard with a single slip instead of a double slip.

The GWR did try to avoid facing points but failed. Indeed in 1964 Castles routinely ran across the facing points at  Honeybourne junction at 100 MPH. when the LMR put a 40 limit on the ones at Bromsgrive at the bottom of the Lickey, an otherwise brilliant place for going for a Ton.   Snow Hil was squeezed into a very narrow site and traffic was reduced by not terminating northbound Birmingham trains at Snow Hill but at Moor St for locals and Wolverhampton for expresses and sending goods via Stourbridge junction Worcester and Oxford to avoid Snow Hill.

What I don't see in the plans is anywhere for trains to go.  No hidden sidings to store spare stock.

Do the tracks in the tunnel serve as a fiddle area.?

On yet another tack the inside wall of the tunnel is noticeable by is absence, modelling the curved wall does a lot to help the illusion of the tunnel being a genuine tunnel especially if you can also keep it really dark in there

Screenshot (439).png

I'll be having extra sidings for rolling stock, my diagram does not show it yet but there will be placing for this. I'm just concentrating on the station at the moment. There are a lot of great ideas from everyone which I really appreciate. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AdamInTheAttic said:

I have also purchased the PSL book for track plans and as said before, Tresco looks brilliant although it'll have to be simplified a little on the left hand side. 

DSC_0302.JPG

We discussed that plan quite recently:

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to say thanks to everyone who has responded to this. I have now started to fix my track down, I'm using all electrofrog with seep motors. The cables are currently dangling under the board but once the point motors are fitted I'll order my dcc controller. I had to compromise with a point facing the way some don't agree with but after looking at a lot of track plans I see that it's done where unavoidable and I have struggled with my plan to say the least. 

I have changed my track plan a little. I have tested it on dc and it is very smooth and all engines are running through it well. The main station can hold 6 coaches and a large loco, the second station (down line) can hold 4 and has additional lines for goods etc. I have added an extra couple of points to add sidings etc later. 

I shall continue updates for this on my blog. 

Thanks again. 

DSC_0363.JPG

DSC_0364.JPG