Counties with the most tunnels

russ p

• RMweb Gold

A few years ago  I started a thread about counties with the least amount of tunnels but I was thinking which county has the most 

Off the top of my head other than London I was thinking Leicestershire or possibly south Yorkshire 

Any other suggestions...l

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, cb900f said:

Russ ,

Derbyshire might do well.

Pete

Hi Pete I did think about Derbyshire,  I'm over there tomorrow at Langwith Jct 

The east Midlands although not particularly hilly seems to have loads of tunnels where counties such as county Durham which is very hilly has five tunnels I believe

Cheers 

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, iands said:

Still "active", or including defunct tunnels (i.e. lines that have now closed)?

Hi Ian

I was thinking all lines , so defunct aswell

Do you mean the highest count of tunnels, or the longest total length? If you mean longest total length, I would suggest Lanarkshire, though you might exclude Glasgow from consideration on the same grounds as you excluded London.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, russ p said:

A few years ago  I started a thread about counties with the least amount of tunnels but I was thinking which county has the most 

Can you give a link to the earlier thread please? I'd be interested in the results.

Andi

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, pH said:

Do you mean the highest count of tunnels, or the longest total length? If you mean longest total length, I would suggest Lanarkshire, though you might exclude Glasgow from consideration on the same grounds as you excluded London.

Highest count of individual tunnels 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Can you give a link to the earlier thread please? I'd be interested in the results.

Andi

I've tried doing a search but can't find the original thread, sorry. 

Not sure if mods can find and post a link please 

1 minute ago, Wickham Green too said:

Ah - but we've got half the Channel Tunnel ........ !

Interesting point. But do counties have jurisdiction over the sea bed off their shores, or is that a responsibility of the national government only?

44 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

5 minutes ago, russ p said:

I've tried doing a search but can't find the original thread, sorry. 

Not sure if mods can find and post a link please 

I think this is it:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94383-counties-without-railway-tunnels/

Edited by pH
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, cb900f said:

Russ,

I reckon I have just counted 13 tunnels between Peak Forest Jct and Ambergate for starters.

Pete

Plus you have half of woodhead,  clay cross, Milford,, Toadmoor, wingfield and bolsover to name a few 

What county is Redhills tunnel in near trent? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Elmstead Woods is one - two bore - tunnel that's not through any significant hill : little more than a covered way created to maintain the landowner's views !

Oddly enough, ISTR they are called Chislehurst North and South tunnels. Despite being between Elmstead Woods and Grove Park. 

2 hours ago, russ p said:

Plus you have half of woodhead,  clay cross, Milford,, Toadmoor, wingfield and bolsover to name a few 

What county is Redhills tunnel in near trent? 

half of Totley, Cowburn, Doveholes, Duckmanton , Alfreton, Rowthorne, Shirland.  Bromhouse and Ambergate before they took the top off. Not sure about Disley and New mills ?

Possibly also south end of Bradway. Of course when they were built both Totley and Bradway would have been completely in Derbyshire as the county boundary with the dee daas sorry Yorkshire was at Heeley .

Pete

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Oddly enough, ISTR they are called Chislehurst North and South tunnels. Despite being between Elmstead Woods and Grove Park. 

Hmmmm - that rings vague bells ......... the Middleton Press volume doesn't name them - nor ( annoyingly ) does my 1968 S.E.D. Bridge Map : they're Nos.143 & 143A !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Hmmmm - that rings vague bells ......... the Middleton Press volume doesn't name them - nor ( annoyingly ) does my 1968 S.E.D. Bridge Map : they're Nos.143 & 143A !

I was asked to examine - on foot - the North tunnel Up Line, when a T/C failed. Sadly they forgot to stop trains, albeit going slowly after being talked by. I was not impressed......

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3