Counties with the most tunnels

russ p

• RMweb Premium

Having looked at the Quail maps, I count 51 tunnels with at least one portal within the Yorkshire county boundary. These are current operational tunnels on the network and do not include any redundant tunnels (i.e. lines that have closed), or any tunnels on heritage lines. Yes, I will admit that one or two might be contentious because of boundary changes etc.

Incidentally, the Cobb historical atlas lists 882 tunnels, excluding LUL tunnels.

• Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, russ p said:

What county is Redhills tunnel in near trent? 

6 hours ago, pH said:

Leicestershire.

Nottinghamshire.  Where the Soar joins the Trent, about 200 yards west of where the Midland bridges it, is the meeting point of Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire.  The MML is in Nottinghamshire from that crossing until it crosses the Soar north of Loughborough.  

This tunnel has separate bores for fast and slow lines - does it count as two?  

1 hour ago, iands said:

Having looked at the Quail maps, I count 51 tunnels with at least one portal within the Yorkshire county boundary. 

Is that the pre-1974 Yorkshire, one of the Ridings thereof, or one or all of the present day counties that claim to be parts of Yorkshire?  

Edited by Edwin_m
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, cb900f said:

half of Totley, Cowburn, Doveholes, Duckmanton , Alfreton, Rowthorne, Shirland.  Bromhouse and Ambergate before they took the top off. Not sure about Disley and New mills ?

Possibly also south end of Bradway. Of course when they were built both Totley and Bradway would have been completely in Derbyshire as the county boundary with the dee daas sorry Yorkshire was at Heeley .

Pete

I think (but may be wrong) that both Disley tunnels are in Cheshire. New Mills is probably Derbyshire. There are a couple more on the Buxton line, and the long-disused Buxton tunnel (not sure of its name) and Hopton Tunnel on the Cromford and High Peak line. There was also a tunnel at Buxworth until it got opened up (presumably when the line was upped to four tracks).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

All I know is.... It ain't Norfolk...

Slight thread drift alert:

I can only think of one - Cromer on the Mundesley line, unless you count the Bure Valley one under the Aylsham by-pass.

Stu

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

Nottinghamshire.  Where the Soar joins the Trent, about 200 yards west of where the Midland bridges it, is the meeting point of Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire.  The MML is in Nottinghamshire from that crossing until it crosses the Soar north of Loughborough.  

This tunnel has separate bores for fast and slow lines - does it count as two?  

Is that the pre-1974 Yorkshire, one of the Ridings thereof, or one or all of the present day counties that claim to be parts of Yorkshire?  

Hi Edwin_m,

I've assumed the boundaries that make up "whole" of modern Yorkshire of North, East, South and West Yorkshire, including the area of north Humberside (not that there are any in that part of the County that I can see). Yes there will be discrepancies with these areas when compared to the historical 3 Ridings (pre 1974), but I imagine that that debate could go on for an awful long time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've cheated. Wikipedia has a list of tunnels in the UK, that can be sorted by (present-day) county. There are 49 tunnels listed wholely or partly in Derbyshire (barring miscounting on my part) against 30 in Yorkshire - West, South, North and East.

This list is not exclusively railway tunnels, of course. For example, Oxfordshire claims only 4, of which one is the Bodleian Library tunnel.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I've cheated. Wikipedia has a list of tunnels in the UK, that can be sorted by (present-day) county. There are 49 tunnels listed wholely or partly in Derbyshire (barring miscounting on my part) against 30 in Yorkshire - West, South, North and East.

This list is not exclusively railway tunnels, of course. For example, Oxfordshire claims only 4, of which one is the Bodleian Library tunnel.

The Wikipedia list for West Yorkshire is woefully short ...  no mention of Elland, Salterhebble, Bradley, Morley, Baildon, Shipley, Bingley, Springs, Gledholt, Wortley .... to name but a few.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, iands said:

The Wikipedia list for West Yorkshire is woefully short ...  no mention of Elland, Salterhebble, Bradley, Morley, Baildon, Shipley, Bingley, Springs, Gledholt, Wortley .... to name but a few.

Bingley and Thackley Tunnels are listed. However Shipley, Baildon, Guiseley and Yeadons various tunnels are not listed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reorte said:

I think (but may be wrong) that both Disley tunnels are in Cheshire. New Mills is probably Derbyshire. There are a couple more on the Buxton line, and the long-disused Buxton tunnel (not sure of its name) and Hopton Tunnel on the Cromford and High Peak line. There was also a tunnel at Buxworth until it got opened up (presumably when the line was upped to four tracks).

Disley itself is in Cheshire, as is the tunnel on the Buxton line, but the tunnel on the ex-Midland route crosses the boundary into Greater Manchester.  The Buxton line goes into Derbyshire just before New Mills Newtown and most of New Mills is in that county.  

1 hour ago, iands said:

Hi Edwin_m,

I've assumed the boundaries that make up "whole" of modern Yorkshire of North, East, South and West Yorkshire, including the area of north Humberside (not that there are any in that part of the County that I can see). Yes there will be discrepancies with these areas when compared to the historical 3 Ridings (pre 1974), but I imagine that that debate could go on for an awful long time.

On those criteria I would think Yorkshire wins by being hilly, but also at least three times as big as a typical county.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reorte said:

I count it 49 from the Wiki list (not including tramways) for Derbyshire BUT.......

Take off the two Redhill Tunnels (not Derbyshire), add three for Woodhead (they put it in the Yorkshire part of the list), add another one for Alfreton (two tunnels). Then there's the opened out ones at Buxworth, Broomhouse and Ambergate.

So I make it 54.

Edit - However, as the third Woodhead Tunnel opened in 1954, there would've only been 53 open at the same time (I think...........)

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, eastworld said:

Slight thread drift alert:

I can only think of one - Cromer on the Mundesley line, unless you count the Bure Valley one under the Aylsham by-pass.

Stu

There was and its still there,  the cut and cover under cromer high but there was a real tunnel that was reasonably long between fakenham and Walsingham which the LNER opened out I believe in the 30s

And there was an unbuilt proposal to link Thorpe and city stations in Norwich with a semicircular tunnel under mousehold similar to the link between Bransty and Corkicle in whitehaven 

5 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

I sit corrected!

I thought the Soar was completely  in Leicestershire, not a boundary. So I thought, on the occasions when I was in the Trent Lock, that everything I was looking at on the other side of the Trent was Leicestershire.

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

It seems to be locked in a vicious battle with Yorkshire which seems to be dependent on how your define Yorkshire.

But Yorkshire is made up of three different counties 

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

Yorkshire is one county made up of three Ridings ;)

In the old days, but to make things simple I was thinking present day counties. 

Although it does pain me as I'm from  North Yorkshire that Derbyshire seems to have the most!

27 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

Yorkshire is one county made up of three Ridings ;)

But each Riding had its own "county council".  I remember WRCC on the school pencils and on the road lamps we fished out of the river behind the council depot...

Edited by Edwin_m

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

But each Riding had its own "county council".  I remember WRCC on the school pencils and on the road lamps we fished out of the river behind the council depot...

I remember NRCC on school cutlery 

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

And there were county boroughs in addition to the Ridings.  Leeds was geographically within the West Riding, but was not part of it for administrative purposes, likewise York had a boundary with all three Ridings.  Sadly with the passing of the years I can't remember which other county boroughs existed (Sheffield ?).

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 2