Counties with the most tunnels

russ p

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, cb900f said:

I managed 32yrs,  piled it into Brass and managed to get away at 53yrs old. Having worked part time for a few yrs (training Dvrs on GSMR)  I understand from former colleagues that light hearted banter is now frowned upon and to be resisted. That's the one thing I miss after retiring.

Pete

We have two things in common then Pete, one being the "railway careers", and the other GSMR - I used to be a BR Radio Engineer at one time, and my last real radio involvement was implementing (testing/commissioning) GSMR on the East London Line.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

and the Conway, Medway and Tyne road tunnels in England are immersed tubes. Might the Britannia Tubular Bridge also count as a "not-subterranean" tunnel??

Now, I'm not letting you get away with that!  The Conway Road Tunnel and the Britannia Bridge are not in England, and are in a country that has a) never been a part of England, even when it was directly ruled from England, and b) was known by the Latin name and it's name in it's own language long before any form of a state that could describe itself as England existed.

Stephenson described the Conway and Britannia railway bridges as 'tunnels through the sky'.  They are more enclosed box girder than really tubular; you need Brunel for that, but the trains were too broad gauge to run through them.  There were 3, only the Royal Albert now remaining, the others were the Wye Bridge at Chepstow and the Severn Bridge at Over Jc, Gloucester, both on the South Wales Railway.  Britannia, incidentally, is derived from a Latin interpretation of a Welsh word, Prydain, meaning the island of Great Britain, the largest of the British archipelago.

Somebody way back in.the thread mentioned Glamorgan; Caerphilly, Rhondda, Caerau, Porthkerry, Aberdare, Treforest, Pontypridd Graig, (both Barry Railway), Llansamlet, Cockett, Morlais, Garth, Morriston, Penllergaer, Cogan, Wenvoe, Barry Harbour, Gyfylchi (South Wales Mineral), Cwmcerwen (PTR). Tongwynlais (x2, Cardiff Rly).  21, unless I've forgotten any.  Still in use by railway; Caerphilly, Porthkerry, Llansamlet, Cockett, Morriston, Penllergaer, Cogan; 7.  There is a group attempting to re-open the longest, Rhondda, as a pedestrian and cycle route, but the scenery is better if you walk over the top...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, iands said:

I don't know Russ. Maybe Derbyshire is the winner - do we have a definitive list of tunnels? I think I poo-poo'd the previously mentioned Wikipedia list as totally inaccurate. Then again, are we still only listing those that are still operational on the NR network, or are we including now redundant tunnels (e.g. Queensbury) and tunnels on heritage lines?

I think Derbyshire has the most tunnels and Yorkshire has the most bores....

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Now, I'm not letting you get away with that!  The Conway Road Tunnel and the Britannia Bridge are not in England, and are in a country that has a) never been a part of England, even when it was directly ruled from England, and b) was known by the Latin name and it's name in it's own language long before any form of a state that could describe itself as England existed.

Stephenson described the Conway and Britannia railway bridges as 'tunnels through the sky'.  They are more enclosed box girder than really tubular; you need Brunel for that, but the trains were too broad gauge to run through them.  There were 3, only the Royal Albert now remaining, the others were the Wye Bridge at Chepstow and the Severn Bridge at Over Jc, Gloucester, both on the South Wales Railway.  Britannia, incidentally, is derived from a Latin interpretation of a Welsh word, Prydain, meaning the island of Great Britain, the largest of the British archipelago.

Somebody way back in.the thread mentioned Glamorgan; Caerphilly, Rhondda, Caerau, Porthkerry, Aberdare, Treforest, Pontypridd Graig, (both Barry Railway), Llansamlet, Cockett, Morlais, Garth, Morriston, Penllergaer, Cogan, Wenvoe, Barry Harbour, Gyfylchi (South Wales Mineral), Cwmcerwen (PTR). Tongwynlais (x2, Cardiff Rly).  21, unless I've forgotten any.  Still in use by railway; Caerphilly, Porthkerry, Llansamlet, Cockett, Morriston, Penllergaer, Cogan; 7.  There is a group attempting to re-open the longest, Rhondda, as a pedestrian and cycle route, but the scenery is better if you walk over the top...

It was me who mentioned it, what about lonlas tunnel? 

Regards Richard 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John-Miles said:

There is also the complication that Yorkshire has stolen part of Derbyshire. Really the boundary should be around Beauchief and Fox House should be well within Derbyshire. Give us back our land!

Which fox house do you mean? If its the one near Hepworth in Holmfirth were keeping it. ;)

1 hour ago, John-Miles said:

There is also the complication that Yorkshire has stolen part of Derbyshire. Really the boundary should be around Beauchief and Fox House should be well within Derbyshire. Give us back our land!

But Greater Manchester pinched part of Yorkshire (Saddleworth) in which there were three loooooooong tunnels, which would have been wholly in the West Riding! Swings and roundabouts!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Correct, but I used names that the I think the tunnels are better known by generally; they are not well known by the general populace.  I used Llansamlet for Lonlas, or Peniel Green, and Morriston for Llangyfelach.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, John-Miles said:

John,

I am told that there is a stone in the railway retaining wall at Heeley indicating the boundary between Derbys and Yorks. Incidently I know it's a long shot but there used to be a lad slightly older than me with your name who went to Tupton Grammar and trainspotted at Clay Cross station, not you by any chance is it ?

Pete

48 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Oh, is this limited to England? I didn’t realise.

Terribly sorry old chap!

The OP ( russ p ) didn't specify ................. which might open another can of worms as there are innumerable 'counties' in the Yewessovay ( and probably elsewhere in the version-of-English speaking world ) - though maybe not with a great tunnel-count. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Terribly sorry old chap!

No, it's not limited to England, but if it was the Conway road tunnel and Britannia Bridge would be excluded, as the country they are in is not England.

No need for apologies!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Terribly sorry old chap!

Its supposed to be the British Isles Kevin. 

Nice to see a thread been so light hearted an friendly 

Cheers  lads

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, russ p said:

Its supposed to be the British Isles Kevin. 

Are there now or have there ever been any railway tunnels in Ireland? Or are they truly as absent as snakes? I'm sure I've never heard of one.

• Like 1

Plenty.

I'm not sure if this is comprehensive, but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tunnels_in_Ireland#:~:text=Most of Ireland's tunnels date from the 19th,to date%2C using a variety of tunnelling methods.

Includes a helical tunnel, which is fairly unusual, in the Guinness Brewery. "The single track spiral tunnel contained the line’s steepest gradient, 1 in 39, and, in 2.65 turns raised the line about 35ft, with a spiral radius of 61.25ft."

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 17/08/2020 at 13:44, Reorte said:

I think (but may be wrong) that both Disley tunnels are in Cheshire. New Mills is probably Derbyshire. There are a couple more on the Buxton line, and the long-disused Buxton tunnel (not sure of its name) and Hopton Tunnel on the Cromford and High Peak line. 

There's another tunnel on Cromford and High Peak at Newhaven (which is only about 50 yards long, but is still marked as a tunnel on my map). 

• Like 1

The north end of Sheffield Midland was supposed to be a tunnel - but old mine workings decreed it must be a whole load of bridges instead.

So thats one down for what Yorkshire could have had.

One Up, is that until about 1912 there was a tunnel at Darnell on the GC line.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Ah yes, I should have thought of the Damn Slow & Easy coast line round Bray Head.

I found this account of a family walk through Lissummon Tunnel

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, cb900f said:

John,

I am told that there is a stone in the railway retaining wall at Heeley indicating the boundary between Derbys and Yorks. Incidently I know it's a long shot but there used to be a lad slightly older than me with your name who went to Tupton Grammar and trainspotted at Clay Cross station, not you by any chance is it ?

Pete

No, I went to Chesterfield Grammar, which I hated. I once broke a finger and my mum took me to A&E. A nurse came in a shouted John Miles and two other people besides me stood up so it must be a common name in the area.